Author Topic: Funds never turned up at BTER... (Resolved - OP Fat Fingered)  (Read 2450 times)

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
Thanks Ander. Yep I did use the interface from BTER but it looks like Empirical1.1 is right and I totally fat fingered it and sent to bter instead of btercom. Thank the stars it wasn't for a larger amount. I remember it was well past my bedtime - I will be more careful next time.

I see two major problems here.

First, the client shouldn't autofill BTS names that are not in your favorites by default. That is just asking for trouble in my opinion.

Second, copy and pasting the strings should not be the standard way to deposit/send funds to a website like BTER. The website should provide a link using the bts:// URI scheme that loads up the transfer page with the to address and optionally the memo autofilled (the URI scheme needs to be updated to include an optional memo IMO). Clicking a link from a trusted website and having it launch the app with everything ready to go except the amount to send is nearly foolproof. Giving users the responsibility to put those fields in themselves (especially if they decide to type it from memory with autofill enabled instead of copy and pasting it) apparently leads to lost funds as in this case.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 11:49:30 pm by arhag »

Offline pseudoscops

Its a good idea to use the bter interface for depositing.  You will get a page telling you to send to btercom or to an address, and to include a certain string of characters as a memo, so that they can identify you.

Thanks Ander. Yep I did use the interface from BTER but it looks like Empirical1.1 is right and I totally fat fingered it and sent to bter instead of btercom. Thank the stars it wasn't for a larger amount. I remember it was well past my bedtime - I will be more careful next time.

Perhaps the other guy I recall having some issue did the same thing or maybe there was just a delay. Anyway no reason for anyone to doubt BTER deposits. Sorry BTER for unnecessary bad press.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 11:09:05 pm by pseudoscops »

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile

Its a good idea to use the bter interface for depositing.  You will get a page telling you to send to btercom or to an address, and to include a certain string of characters as a memo, so that they can identify you.

Looks like he did use the bter interface. I see he included a memo. It seems he missed that it was btercom and the robot dude is different and just sent to bter by accident is my guess.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Looks like you got scammed by someone who registered the name bter.

For BTC deposits its a bit easier.  You click the deposit btc link, and it gives you a btc address to deposit to.  Send to that address and it will show up in your account after 1-2 bitcoin blocks.

You need to double check that the address they give you is the same one as what you are sending to after doing copy/paste.  Someone on this board got scammed a few weeks back because one of their chrome plugins detected bitocin addresses and replaced them with a different address to send to the scammer after a copy/paste onto the clipboard.

I've deposited btc to bter many times and never had a single problem, but you have to be very wary of potential scams that could cause you to send to the wrong address instead of to the exchange address.  Bter cant do anything if you fall for these, since they simply never got your coins.

Your only hope at this point is to contact whoever registered the name 'bter' and hope they are a white hat and will return your coins.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

zerosum

Not a huge amount of funds (2634.1766BTS) but just realized today that the funds sent below never turned up. Today I'm wanting to send 1BTC to BTER so I can invest a little in the Music pre-sale. I'm worried about the funds not turning up again if I do. I remember reading of at least one other who's funds did not turn up at BTER.

Anyone got any advice. As far as I know their support is in Chinese :(

Pseudo I'm pretty sure off the top of my head the BTS depost address for BTR is btercom not BTER. You should always verify the image is the same when sending BTS

Yeah it's btercom :(

I think someone in the community registered some bter addresses not sure

Edit: Clains and tonyk have some derivations of bter not sure if they control just 'bter'

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=7051.0
Not mine. Mine is bter-deposit.

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
Not a huge amount of funds (2634.1766BTS) but just realized today that the funds sent below never turned up. Today I'm wanting to send 1BTC to BTER so I can invest a little in the Music pre-sale. I'm worried about the funds not turning up again if I do. I remember reading of at least one other who's funds did not turn up at BTER.

Pseudo I'm pretty sure off the top of my head the BTS depost address for BTR is btercom not BTER. You should always verify the image is the same when sending BTS

Yeah it's btercom :(

I think someone in the community registered some bter addresses not sure

Edit: Clains and tonyk have some derivations of bter not sure if they control just 'bter'

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=7051.0
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:46:54 pm by Empirical1.1 »

Offline mavisjames

• View Profile

Pmp2K9S5t15hTEkrrFk1cfieb2Y2eVR6YG

BTSX ID: mdyyz

Offline pseudoscops

« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 10:56:37 pm by pseudoscops »