Author Topic: need help with registration  (Read 1831 times)

Offline micah118

• View Profile
  • BitShares: micah
ok thanks for the help.  I plan on getting an additional computer over the holidays so I will wait to put any thing on it as well.  Also, it was recomended to me to move my shares from BTER (or any exchange) to my bitshares wallet incase the exchange went belly up, but from what I gather would it behoove me to just leave it on the exchange for now?  I was wanting to invest a little more in bitshares so please let me know when you would recomend a good time to do that as far as having a secure wallet set up that I could transfer them into etc. Also what about the faucet site as I thought I was successful in funding it (micah118) through there?

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
I did not register "micah" on July 23 so perhaps that is the problem?-  It was closer to November 23.  When I could never get it to show up under my accounts that is when I "created a new account" with micah118 and that would have been around the 5th of December like you state.

When I originally requested you guys to fund it so I could open it, I also tried to transfer some bitshares (from Bter) so that would have been to the "micah" account. I did it with the account key. I only did it once and not very many shares.  I have downloaded bitshares on my desktop and another laptop can only get "micah118" to show up on one of them under my accounts but it is still not funded even though someone on the forum states that they did and I funded it with the new faucet site.

So you have micah118 showing up on one of your computers. That's good. For now, plan to have different accounts on different computers. I hate to recommend this, but as long as Bitshares is a young technology you'll be better off if you don't try to access a single account from two different computers. This is because of Bitshares' TITAN privacy stuff; it currently makes it very awkward to transition a wallet from one computer to another.

On the computer where "micah118" shows up, it shows up in your list of "my accounts," right?

Unfortunately the account name "micah" is taken; it looks like someone squatted it when BitsharesX first launched back in July. So that's a shame, but at least you got micah118. You withdrew from Bter to "micah..." I wonder who controls that account? It might be that some forum member does, in which case it's remotely possible that you can get the funds back.

Ok, right now, the BitShares network is in complete disarray (because of a bug in the latest wallet version) so I'm not going to try to send you new funds until the issues have been resolved. Sit tight, and as soon as the network gets sorted, I'll send you some test funds to the micah118 account.
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline micah118

• View Profile
I did not register "micah" on July 23 so perhaps that is the problem?-  It was closer to November 23.  When I could never get it to show up under my accounts that is when I "created a new account" with micah118 and that would have been around the 5th of December like you state.

When I originally requested you guys to fund it so I could open it, I also tried to transfer some bitshares (from Bter) so that would have been to the "micah" account. I did it with the account key. I only did it once and not very many shares.  I have downloaded bitshares on my desktop and another laptop can only get "micah118" to show up on one of them under my accounts but it is still not funded even though someone on the forum states that they did and I funded it with the new faucet site.

Offline biophil

• View Profile
    • My Academic Website
First, I checked the accounts, and it says "micah" was registered on July 23, and "micah118" was registered on December 5. Do either of those dates make sense?

Second, don't get attached to the public keys. You're never supposed to use them after you register an account, so don't worry if they change. If you're used to bitcoin, this will feel confusing at first - but just remember that your account name is all you need to know.

Third, backups will not work the way you expect them to. You'd think that if you back up your account, and then restore from a backup, that everything will be fine and you won't have anything to worry about. Sadly, restoring from a backup is more trouble than just importing it. So in the future, once we get all this cleared away, avoid importing your backups unless something has gone really wrong.

Ok, now a question:
1. you said you tried to withdraw funds from Bter. Which account did you withdraw to? Did you withdraw to an account name, or to a key?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 06:11:30 pm by biophil »
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline micah118

• View Profile
I don't know exactly how to ancwer that because yes I did create "micah" originally, funded it through BETr and this forum but I can't find it does not show up under my accounts. then i just created "micah118" and tried to fund it also through the forum and the new faucet web site, which it said I was successful at, but a 0.0 balance continues to show, and when I click on "register micah118" is says "account registration requires funds, pleas fund one of your accounts". If I go back and try to fund the account again through the faucet site is says the account is already registered. If it is already registered, then why does it not show up in my account?? I flat don't know what to do.

the following is what my support ticket says:

onceuponatime funded my first try, then I could not find my account. It appeared that I was asigned another "public key" when I imported my backup wallet which is what I thought the problem was. Then overthetop funded that one and told me to be patient.  I can not find my account under my accounts but when try to created a new account with that name ( micah ) it says "invalid account name (20017) This name is already in your wallet!"  I don't know what to do.  I also tried to move money from BETr and don't know where that is either. I think my key is:

BTSX7iFLmoSXjNUkMeGy2ek1ENKu3UZivoAs8SRkETudV8L5AjEqkV

but the other one that was "created when I imported my wallet is:

BTSX7wJHdwn2BMqvCU2Uc8VZVs5BK8nhupqsH482Ayxeb9sthJ4kGu

Does the key code change everytime I import the backup wallet?  any direction would help.

this is the chain of blog posts, I am micah118:

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=6439.1545

Offline biophil

• View Profile
    • My Academic Website
the following is a copy/paste from another forum that onceuponatime suggested someone here could help me with.  I don't know what to do. My account/accounts do not show to be funded. Please help.

I am in a never ending circle and don't know what to do.  My first account was just "micah" you funded two different keys a couple of weeks ago, they never show up and when I click on that account it says that account already exists.  so I created "micah118" that is me.  I show a 0 balance in the account, I even funded it with you new "faucet" web site. this is the message I get when I try to fund it again:"Unknown error: duplicate account name (20025) This account name has already been registered!"  If I import my backup wallet with the original "micah" account it creates another "key". Like I said I already have two of those funded. When I click on "register micah" on the top right it says the account needs funding.  What do I do? I also created a support ticket last week on the help desk: entitled/and ticket #-:00096   account missing/funding problem.  Pleas help.

I'm pretty confused. Let's start at the beginning: did you ever register micah or micah118?

If so, and you've backed up your wallet, then we're in business. I will await your reply ...

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Offline micah118

• View Profile
the following is a copy/paste from another forum that onceuponatime suggested someone here could help me with.  I don't know what to do. My account/accounts do not show to be funded. Please help.

I am in a never ending circle and don't know what to do.  My first account was just "micah" you funded two different keys a couple of weeks ago, they never show up and when I click on that account it says that account already exists.  so I created "micah118" that is me.  I show a 0 balance in the account, I even funded it with you new "faucet" web site. this is the message I get when I try to fund it again:"Unknown error: duplicate account name (20025) This account name has already been registered!"  If I import my backup wallet with the original "micah" account it creates another "key". Like I said I already have two of those funded. When I click on "register micah" on the top right it says the account needs funding.  What do I do? I also created a support ticket last week on the help desk: entitled/and ticket #-:00096   account missing/funding problem.  Pleas help.