Author Topic: Don't trust my computer- best place to store BTSX?  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Riverhead

In the console tab:

Code: [Select]
>> help walletpassphrasechange

Usage:
wallet_change_passphrase <passphrase>                                                                 Change the password of the current wallet
Change the password of the current wallet

This will change the wallet's spending passphrase, please make sure you remember it.

Parameters:
  passphrase (passphrase, required): the passphrase for encrypting the wallet

Returns:
  void

aliases: walletpassphrasechange

Offline bitAndy

• View Profile
It doesn't yet seem possible to change your BTS wallet password?

I would like to make my password stronger.

Offline Riverhead

A basic assumption is that if you can *prove* you are the owner of some funds, then you should be eventually able to claim them, given sufficient developer resources.

One perspective is that it's sufficient to do any action which makes your balance ownership rights causally dependent on knowledge of some secret, then being able to prove knowledge of the secret makes you the "true" owner.

So I think we should add more explicit support for "claim by secret" balances.

Sounds like FMV's turf. Certainly an interesting concept.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
A basic assumption is that if you can *prove* you are the owner of some funds, then you should be eventually able to claim them, given sufficient developer resources.

One perspective is that it's sufficient to do any action which makes your balance ownership rights causally dependent on knowledge of some secret, then being able to prove knowledge of the secret makes you the "true" owner.

So I think we should add more explicit support for "claim by secret" balances.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Riverhead

I guess everyone has to make their own decisions about that they feel is secure. I have my wallet encrypted with a strong pass phrase and packed in an encrypted container (encfs). I then copy it to about half a dozen USB and SD storage locations and a couple online cloud storage drives like Google Drive and Amazon Cloud Drive (or whatever they call it). Of the USB/SD copies none are in the same geographic location but are easy to regain if need be.

The reason I'm comfortable with this is that if someone can crack the two layers of ostensibly uncrackable encryption in my life time than the whole gig is up anyway.

Offline mike623317

• View Profile
Would cold storage on a USB work?

Thanks

Store it in your brain. If you must back it up then back it up on paper and only use USB if you can't back it up on paper. Make multiple copies of the encrypted file and store them in separate locations.

Hey Lucky,

1. How do you back it up to paper? If you could point me in the right direction, i'd sure appreciate it.
2. when you talk about to you brain, are you talking about the private key?

Thanks
M

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit

Thanks

Store it in your brain. If you must back it up then back it up on paper and only use USB if you can't back it up on paper. Make multiple copies of the encrypted file and store them in separate locations.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 02:17:31 pm by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Riverhead

Export the wallet to the .json backup and throw it on a few USB sticks. With a good pass phrase the encrypted keys in the .json are pretty well encrypted already.

Offline Frodo03

• View Profile

Thanks