Author Topic: Can Music beat that ?  (Read 4024 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
infographic of how much an artist must sell to make min wage

http://imgur.com/xqbewMM
that is ridiculous ... we should use it to market bitsharesMusic .. prominently

Offline christo

• View Profile
  there is a link at the bottom of the infographic to some of its data sources.

Thanks I should have spotted that. FTR full data here: http://bitly.com/DigitalRoyalty

jaran

That's really interesting. I notice that the self-pressed CD is an album whereas the streams are counted on a per-track basis. Do you know enough about the stats used to say if the time required to create an album used as the cost & time basis of the break-even calculation for the per-track streams? I would hope they'd convert that to a single track since we might assume a single track averages about 10% of the time and effort of an album.

Another question I have about this is the radio plays. When we see how bad streams are for artists (as they clearly seem to be) how can we compare internet streams to radio streams? Radio streams mean one play goes to many listeners. Internet streams are for one listener each. So the one radio broadcast "stream" should be worth 100,000 internet streams for a radio with an audience of 100,000.

I'd love to learn more about these models in more detail. If Peertracks is going to be better than these existing systems this is exactly the sort of detailed analysis that is needed.

(edit: grammar)

Fairly positive they are not taking into account time and money to produce a song/album as that would vary greatly from each artist.  there is a link at the bottom of the infographic to some of its data sources.

Found this as an example of radio. So it does look like depending on the label or whatever they do take into account other factors with radio such as time of day etc.  I am not in the music industry so i have no clue how accurate this is:  http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/music-royalties7.htm

I agree once peertracks comes out with its models creating detailed comparative materials will be necessary.

Offline christo

• View Profile

That's really interesting. I notice that the self-pressed CD is an album whereas the streams are counted on a per-track basis. Do you know enough about the stats used to say if the time required to create an album used as the cost & time basis of the break-even calculation for the per-track streams? I would hope they'd convert that to a single track since we might assume a single track averages about 10% of the time and effort of an album.

Another question I have about this is the radio plays. When we see how bad streams are for artists (as they clearly seem to be) how can we compare internet streams to radio streams? Radio streams mean one play goes to many listeners. Internet streams are for one listener each. So the one radio broadcast "stream" should be worth 100,000 internet streams for a radio with an audience of 100,000.

I'd love to learn more about these models in more detail. If Peertracks is going to be better than these existing systems this is exactly the sort of detailed analysis that is needed.

(edit: grammar)

jaran

Offline oco101

• View Profile

Offline kuwaitee

• View Profile
YES!

We have been watching this very closely.
We are pretty confident our model can completely change that.

The big artists will make WAY more from streams. Many times more.
The smaller/newer artist will still make little  from streams just like today. The minimum being the royalty payment of course. The logic behind this is that the small time band is not trying to get paid, it is trying to be discovered in order to get known and that leads to getting paid. So as a small band, you are giving up some $ now in exchange for getting discovered. So you are "paying" for discovery and fame with some of your music income. Very much like an investment, putting a small percentage away in order to make superstar bucks in a few years.

The big artist on the other hand ceases to "pay" for the talent discovery mechanism since he is already famous and pockets all the cash.

This is an over simplification by the way. It's a way to explain it that does the job for now.

By the way, the mechanism that pays the big guys mostly in money and pays the small guys mostly in fame is only possible because of the User Issued Assets and the buy back mechanism. So unless a competitor comes out with a blockchain, they won't be able to use that mechanism.
So the UIA buy back mechanism ALLOWS the artist to get paid like this ($ for big, fame for small)

The time is ripe for PeerTracks to launch. Just a little bit longer and we'll be ready to show what we have to the world.

The time is definitely ripe. Music need justice !! Looking forward for the release,

+5% 8)

Offline oco101

• View Profile
YES!

The smaller/newer artist will still make little  from streams just like today. The minimum being the royalty payment of course. The logic behind this is that the small time band is not trying to get paid, it is trying to be discovered in order to get known and that leads to getting paid. So as a small band, you are giving up some $ now in exchange for getting discovered. So you are "paying" for discovery and fame with some of your music income. Very much like an investment, putting a small percentage away in order to make superstar bucks in a few years.

The big artist on the other hand ceases to "pay" for the talent discovery mechanism since he is already famous and pockets all the cash.

This is an over simplification by the way. It's a way to explain it that does the job for now.

By the way, the mechanism that pays the big guys mostly in money and pays the small guys mostly in fame is only possible because of the User Issued Assets and the buy back mechanism. So unless a competitor comes out with a blockchain, they won't be able to use that mechanism.
So the UIA buy back mechanism ALLOWS the artist to get paid like this ($ for big, fame for small)

The time is ripe for PeerTracks to launch. Just a little bit longer and we'll be ready to show what we have to the world.

The time is definitely ripe. Music need justice !! Looking forward for the release,

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
Are there any plans on adding NOTES to exchanges yet?
I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi

Offline cob

• View Profile
  • BitShares: cobb
YES!

« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 05:13:03 pm by cob »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline kuwaitee

• View Profile
i think Bitshares Music(PeerTracks)can change that.

+5% +5% 8)

Offline ssjpts

• View Profile
    • 中国BTC
  • BitShares: coolman
i think Bitshares Music(PeerTracks)can change that.
新浪微博:剑指未来BTS
BTC:1Bc7gRGotktBmnNFr3BUUM22HFXCCTyxor
BTSX ID:loves,集大众之爱,待到BTS 500刀,10%回退给捐赠者,10%用于运营,剩余80%用于爱心事业和BTS宣传推广。

Offline oco101

• View Profile
http://www.aux.tv/2014/12/pharrell-williams-earned-less-than-3000-for-43-million-happy-streams/

So Pharrell Williams earned less than $3,000 for 43 million "Happy" streams on Pandora. This is ridiculous. Imagine if Music&PeerTracks can do better than that  !!!