Author Topic: Critical Error: An instance of Bitshares is already running! Wallet 4.27.1 Please Advise.  (Read 5483 times)

Offline vikram

Can people with this problem check if it persists in v0.5: https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/releases/tag/bts%2F0.5.0

At the very least it should hopefully give a more detailed error message.

Offline Average Guy on Street

• View Profile

I've been having this problem for the past two weeks.  It has actually kept me from being able to start running a delegate.  Windows 8 here...

fuzzy - how did you fix your wallet trouble?
I noticed on another thread, that you fixed it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline fuzzy

I've been having this problem for the past two weeks.  It has actually kept me from being able to start running a delegate.  Windows 8 here...
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
@abit

Renaming ~/peers.leveldb to peers.leveldb-old did the trick for me. Also, I didn't need to delete any LOCK files.

I'm running Windows 7-64bit 0.4.27 wallet.

Thanks!

Can confirm, this worked for me as well. Thanks!

Offline wrzkll

• View Profile
  • BitShares: dara
@abit

Renaming ~/peers.leveldb to peers.leveldb-old did the trick for me. Also, I didn't need to delete any LOCK files.

I'm running Windows 7-64bit 0.4.27 wallet.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 02:19:27 am by wrzkll »

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
Now I'm stuck.
Deleting the LOCK files didn't work (there were 44 of them in total) and because this time it didn't happen while upgrading the client I don't have a recent json wallet backup so I'm a bit wary of flushing the whole thing.

Any advice please?

Running the CLI I get this:
Code: [Select]
C:\Program Files\BitShares\bin>bitshares_client.exe --rebuild-index
Clearing database index
Loading config from file: C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\BitShares\config.json
Using blockchain checkpoints from file: C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\BitShares\checkpoints.json
Tracking Statistics: true
Initializing genesis state from built-in genesis file
Please be patient, this will take a few minutes...
Successfully re-indexed 0 blocks in 1 seconds.
Blockchain size changed from 0MiB to 0MiB.
------------ error --------------
10001 db_in_use_exception: Database in Use
Unable to open database C:/Users/User/AppData/Roaming/BitShares/peers.leveldb
        Corruption: error in middle of record
  {"db":"C:/Users/User/AppData/Roaming/BitShares/peers.leveldb","msg":"Corruption
: error in middle of record"}
    p2p  level_pod_map.hpp:62 bts::db::level_pod_map<unsigned int,struct bts::ne
t::potential_peer_record>::open

{"dir":"C:/Users/User/AppData/Roaming/BitShares/peers.leveldb","create":true,"c
ache_size":0}
    p2p  level_pod_map.hpp:67 bts::db::level_pod_map<unsigned int,struct bts::ne
Delete this directory 'C:/Users/User/AppData/Roaming/BitShares/peers.leveldb' and retry.
It's safe.
Don't delete the LOCK files only.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline Markus

• View Profile
Now I'm stuck.
Deleting the LOCK files didn't work (there were 44 of them in total) and because this time it didn't happen while upgrading the client I don't have a recent json wallet backup so I'm a bit wary of flushing the whole thing.

Any advice please?

Running the CLI I get this:
Code: [Select]
C:\Program Files\BitShares\bin>bitshares_client.exe --rebuild-index
Clearing database index
Loading config from file: C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\BitShares\config.json
Using blockchain checkpoints from file: C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\BitShares\checkpoints.json
Tracking Statistics: true
Initializing genesis state from built-in genesis file
Please be patient, this will take a few minutes...
Successfully re-indexed 0 blocks in 1 seconds.
Blockchain size changed from 0MiB to 0MiB.
------------ error --------------
10001 db_in_use_exception: Database in Use
Unable to open database C:/Users/User/AppData/Roaming/BitShares/peers.leveldb
        Corruption: error in middle of record
  {"db":"C:/Users/User/AppData/Roaming/BitShares/peers.leveldb","msg":"Corruption
: error in middle of record"}
    p2p  level_pod_map.hpp:62 bts::db::level_pod_map<unsigned int,struct bts::ne

{"dir":"C:/Users/User/AppData/Roaming/BitShares/peers.leveldb","create":true,"c
ache_size":0}
    p2p  level_pod_map.hpp:67 bts::db::level_pod_map<unsigned int,struct bts::ne

Offline Markus

• View Profile
I've had this too when upgrading to 4.27.1 a few weeks back.
Only managed to get rid of it my total reset (uninstall client, delete Roaming/Bitshares, redownload whole blockchain, import wallet backup)

I just got it again after a crash that froze my whole system entirely (including mouse and Ctr-Alt-Del) which happened just after I did a market trade.

Win 7 Professional 64bit

Offline Riverhead

Offline testz

Is everyone that has this problem running Windows? 64-bit or 32-bit?

Never seen this problem (Windows 64-bit).

Offline vikram

Nathan's comment here: https://github.com/BitShares/qt_wallet/issues/82#issuecomment-68959403 made me realize that this is a misleading error message that our team has put there.

The message does not necessarily mean that another instance is running, rather it will show up when one of the LevelDB databases fails to open for some reason.

I've seen the underlying database error occur when the OS isn't happy about our process opening so many file handles. There are likely multiple other reasons this could happen as well, as we've been seeing reports of database opening failures for a long time.

Is everyone that has this problem running Windows? 64-bit or 32-bit?

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Yes, I also did a fresh boot. There are tons of lockfiles in many different subfolders. Would love a resolution here as I want to keep my shorts on  8)

Offline Riverhead

I got the error on a fresh boot into Windows. No BitShares process is running. I'll see if I can resolve. Could be a lock file somewhere.

It may be related to multithreading the indexing on 32bit Windows (that's what I'm running on this MacBook Pro). It starts the indexing and then closes with that error.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 01:49:35 am by Riverhead »

Offline mint chocolate chip

Right click and close the Bitshares icon that is in the running programs box in the bottom right corner of your desktop. X-ing out of the client does not stop it from running on your computer.