Author Topic: [Mac] "Bitshares" can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer  (Read 1669 times)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline matt608

• View Profile
You can control click or command click (can't remember, try both, I think it's control click) the BiitShares icon and then it will let you open it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 07:20:24 pm by matt608 »

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
You should "allow from anywhere" (if you're involved in BTS at this stage I'm guessing you don't need apple to shield you):

https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=25443

Eventually when updates are less frequent we should get a real dev key and sign the binaries. Not sure how happy apple will be to support us, or if that is relevant for this.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline 70231f697a2b3c2b

• View Profile
Each time I update Bitshares.app, Mac OS X's Gatekeeper feature prevents me from launching the app.  It can be bypassed each time, but it's a pain and you have to know where to look.

From http://support.apple.com/HT202491:

• Gatekeeper options set to "Mac App Store and identified developers"
    • "App name" can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer
      • Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the Mac App Store and Identified developers.
      • Safari downloaded this file Date from URL.

Relevant snippet from that URL for developers:

For apps that are downloaded from places other than the Mac App Store, developers can get a unique Developer ID from Apple and use it to digitally sign their apps. The Developer ID allows Gatekeeper to block apps created by malware developers and verify that apps haven't been tampered with since they were signed. If an app was developed by an unknown developer—one with no Developer ID—or tampered with, Gatekeeper can block the app from being installed.

Note: If you have an app that has not been signed with a Developer ID  to support Gatekeeper, contact the developer of the app to determine if they offer an update which supports Gatekeeper.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 07:02:03 pm by todofixthis »