Author Topic: The worth of Stan's contribution to BitShares  (Read 11483 times)

Offline werneo

• View Profile
    • chronicle of the precession of simulacra
  • BitShares: werneo
I always assumed Stan was part of the brain trust that winds up bytemaster and makes him go. How do you quantify the value of his contribution to bytemaster's solutions over the past 1.5 years? Impossible to calculate, I think. Stan is a founder. How can you quibble with the salary of a foundational contributor that made this project happen in the first place? Not a productive or enlightening OP, in my opinion.

Offline Overthetop

I support Stan and Dan personally, just because  they are willing to take the risks to make the BTS vision become reality. and just this point is beyond measure with money.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 04:50:20 pm by Overthetop »
个人微博账号: Overthetop_万里晴空
“块链创新与创业”交流群: 330378613

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
Thanks for all your kind words.  :)

My role on BitShares over the past 18 months has actually been quite modest. 

I work mostly behind the scenes.  My job involves dealing with business operations and other gatekeeper duties typically associated with a chief of staff role. I pay most of the crypto bills. I handle financial, legal and accounting interfaces, written communication functions, partnership negotiations and support, and helping people see the bright side whenever I can. 

Generally I try to take everything I can off Bytemaster’s hands
so he can focus on things that only he can do. 

Someday Bytemaster will find someone else he trusts to do those duties and I will be able to retire.  But it is hard to find someone you can trust to have your back in all situations, especially on the financial and legal fronts.  Until then, if I don’t do these functions he will have to find time to do them himself. 

If I’m the only one he trusts to walk his dog,
then by walking his dog I generate more Bytemaster time for the ecosystem. 

Thus, the value of my contribution is pretty much just the value of Bytemaster’s time saved for things that only he can do. 

**Full disclosure, BM does not own a dog.  I'm using another metaphor.  :D

Stan (and my mother, Pam) have been so critical for my own sanity that BitShares wouldn't be where it is today without them.   Most of their effort is behind the scenes, but if I had to sum it up in a single sentence:

Their job is to keep me out of jail.   

How do they do this?   Careful accounting and hours and hours with lawyers and tax advisors.   

There is NO ONE ELSE at greater legal risk than Stan and Pam because they handle all of our books and Stan is actually an ACTIVE board member / officer of I3.   All of the developers are mere employees or contractors and are shielded from the huge legal risks associated with this industry.   Someone has to bear the risk and right now it falls on Stan & I.

Stan & Pam have been essential in providing necessary liquidity when there were delays converting BTC to USD or unexpected USD bills.  They lent I3 money on several occasions to get through small cash flow issues.   

Stan has done more to free up my time than any other developer.
Stan has also been paid the LEAST salary of every developer.
Stan has also accepted BTS as payment without intent to sell.
Stan has also purchased a large stakes in BTS on top of it all.

In short money cannot buy what Stan & Pam have provided to me and thus BitShares.    At the end of the day Stan was the LEAST compensated of everyone. 

The bonus paid to Stan was really a combined bonus for Pam & Stan.
That makes sense :) Much love :)

Thanks to the OP for giving us the chance to get clear about this. Nothing worse than suppressed concerns / feelings of injustice.

+5%

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

I work mostly behind the scenes.  My job involves dealing with business operations and other gatekeeper duties typically associated with a chief of staff role. I pay most of the crypto bills. I handle financial, legal and accounting interfaces, written communication functions, partnership negotiations and support, and helping people see the bright side whenever I can. 

Someday Bytemaster will find someone else he trusts to do those duties and I will be able to retire.  But it is hard to find someone you can trust to have your back in all situations, especially on the financial and legal fronts.  Until then, if I don’t do these functions he will have to find time to do them himself. 

Thus, the value of my contribution is pretty much just the value of Bytemaster’s time saved for things that only he can do. 

Stan (and my mother, Pam) have been so critical for my own sanity that BitShares wouldn't be where it is today without them.   Most of their effort is behind the scenes, but if I had to sum it up in a single sentence:

How do they do this?   Careful accounting and hours and hours with lawyers and tax advisors.   

There is NO ONE ELSE at greater legal risk than Stan and Pam because they handle all of our books and Stan is actually an ACTIVE board member / officer of I3.   All of the developers are mere employees or contractors and are shielded from the huge legal risks associated with this industry.   Someone has to bear the risk and right now it falls on Stan & I.

Stan & Pam have been essential in providing necessary liquidity when there were delays converting BTC to USD or unexpected USD bills.  They lent I3 money on several occasions to get through small cash flow issues.   

In short money cannot buy what Stan & Pam have provided to me and thus BitShares.    At the end of the day Stan was the LEAST compensated of everyone. 

That makes sense :) Much love :)

Thanks to the OP for giving us the chance to get clear about this. Nothing worse than suppressed concerns / feelings of injustice. 

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
One question I've not seen answered is whether we are expecting to stick to 'only' 101 delegates. Surely that limited number is a liability for any attack.. and inversely might not be enough to include everyone that might be due support. For example, if BitShares goes large, are you really limited to only a handful of people in every quarter of the globe, or to those hiring others directly? With more delegates, 100% would be a smaller fraction too. Given that running a delegate is trivial, perhaps it's worth considering delegates and payments separately.

This is a good question that sort of got lost in this thread.  Let me take a shot at it:

Bytemaster did an analysis of what the right number of delegates should be.  His argument was that going from one delegate to two doubles the security, going from 100 to 101 increases it by less than one percent.

But the increase in cost of each delegate is linear.  So it is a simple matter of diminishing returns - from a security standpoint.

Also, since there are always many other candidates waiting to fill a slot, attacking any one delegate has little effect.  Someone else will pop up to take her place. So the actual number of people defending against attacks is much higher than 101. We have engineered a global whack-a-mole system where delegates will tend to pop up in whatever jurisdictions are friendly to them.

Another consideration was the size of burden placed on the shareholder to determine who gets their votes.  The primary voting task is to determine who should be trusted.  Once that is done, we trust those people with "trivial" tasks like selecting the correct delegate software and running it reliably.  In the future, we will tend to elect trusted managers who can oversee multi-person projects, one task of which is running the correct delegate software reliability.

So, doubling the number of people to assess for trustworthiness would demand an impossible task from everyone.  We would all defer to some small number of consumer advocate delegates to tell us who to vote for.  And thus, not really generate any more decentralization for the delta cost.

Seems like 101 is challenging enough.  So it was chosen as the "sweet spot".

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline CalabiYau

Stan is a founder of this project that has been critical to its inception and survival.

+5%

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline kisa

• View Profile

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Remember the epic assault?hahahahahahahahaha.
bullshit artist——Stan.

It's only BS if you don't really believe it.  :)
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline vegolino

• Reality is Information
    • View Profile

busygin

Stan is a founder of this project that has been critical to its inception and survival.
+5%

Offline bitcoinba

• View Profile

Offline kao

• View Profile

BitShares Reloaded

Now that the enabling technology behind BitShares is proven and we have settled in to a comfortable pre-launch point at Number 4 on the charts, it is time to Reimagine Everything as we approach next month’s epic assault on Number 2.  Everything about BitShares has been
80% impossible.

83.7% of all people believe in the correctness of numbers if they are made up quickly enough!

Welp, next month is already almost over with, and we're quite a ways from epically assaulting number 2 (grin). When does the epic assault commence? Can we hit a $330 million market cap in the next 4 days? lol that would be awesome...
Remember the epic assault?hahahahahahahahaha.
bullshit artist——Stan.

Offline bubble789

• View Profile

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo