Author Topic: What's the status on bitcoin gateways?  (Read 4190 times)

Offline matt608

• View Profile
Couldn't any of us become a BTC/bitBTC gateway?  There's no fiat involved.  One of us simply accepts BTC deposits, say directly to a btc38 or bter account.  Then buy up BTS with the deposit and withdraw it from the exchange asap for security reasons.  Then with BTS within the BitShares client, buy bitBTC, with the same amount of BTS purchased on the exchange.  Then send the bitBTC to the buyers account.  They just need to create a BitShares account and send BTC to the manually operated "gateway" and bitBTC will be send to their account.

The gateway could simply put up a bitcoin address on their wall within their BitShares account.

Don't think an IOU even needs to be issued...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 03:59:57 pm by matt608 »

Offline Rune

• View Profile
I know someone is working on a method to directly send Bitcoin to your Bitshares account name. I don't know the ETA though.

You're probably referring to monsterers gatewayd. Hopefully it will be ready soon... However, if it also requires the import of private keys then it won't be of much use either though. If we want a chance at getting non-investors to use our platform it has to be as convenient or more convenient than all the other options, which means we have to get shapeshift style gateway to allow transferring bitcoin onto our blockchain.

Offline bluebit

• View Profile
I know someone is working on a method to directly send Bitcoin to your Bitshares account name. I don't know the ETA though.
BTSX TipMe: bluebit

Offline Rune

• View Profile
I'm noticing a lot of demand for bitBTC because of bitstamp and the recent bitshares.tv video.

It's unfortunate we still don't have an easy to use BTC -> IOUBTC/BitBTC gateway yet. We need something that works just like shapeshift for IOUBTC, bitBTC or bitUSD, and then we'll be golden. Anyone knows who's closest to making it and what the ETA is yet?

I know there's the GATEBTC gateway, but according to bitsharesblocks it seems to not be operational and it works through a complicated method where you need to import your private key so isn't feasible for most users.

We really need just a single bitcoin gateway, or shapeshift integration, ASAP. It's the only thing that's missing before bitcoiners can begin using bitshares as an easy to use decentralized exchange.