Author Topic: Account 'bter' please return funds  (Read 10624 times)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Maybe we could have a bounty to investigate who owns this name. It's likely to be closely linked to whatever the real account name they used unless they tried hard to preserve anonymity.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline mint chocolate chip

I think this might have been one of the "benevolent squatters", let me dig up that thread and see... don't get your hopes up
I don't think so, I pm'ed both of them and heard back from one so far, seems they got in after btercom was created.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
Ouch. I'm in favor of putting a warning next to "bter" account and/or hiding stuff with negative rep from the autofill.

If you can remove names from the autofill with a negative rep someone could do an attack where they register a name so close to an exchange account that it shows up as number 2 on the autofill, then bombard the exchange with negative rep to remove it from the autofill and become the first suggestion for that name instead.

How about only having autofill for accounts you have sent money to before? So you have to verify the first time you send funds to an exchange, but then after that you're safe and can trust the autofill.

Offline toast

• View Profile
I think this might have been one of the "benevolent squatters", let me dig up that thread and see... don't get your hopes up
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline toast

• View Profile
Ouch. I'm in favor of putting a warning next to "bter" account and/or hiding stuff with negative rep from the autofill.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
I think autofill in general is a bad idea. As more and more users join, the blockchain will be cluttered with every single name imaginable anyway. Imagine autofill for gmail addresses, whatever you type in there will always be some guy who registered that combination of letters already.

Offline robrigo

It would be good to explore excluding names from the suggestion list with a certain threshold of negative rep associated with them. Maybe make the reputation threshold relative based on the current average reputation.

So, if we all burned 1k BTS against "bter" they would no longer come up in the list because they're considered untrusted.

Offline pseudoscops

Been there too. Luckily only about 50$ worth at the time. Heart felt sympathy goes out to you and your brother in law.

I really think it'd be great if the autofill in the wallet didn't make it so easy to make a mistake here. I think that is what happened to me - bter is the first account it suggests.

I think someone suggested a possible solution but I forget what it was now.

Offline onceuponatime

I did the same thing.

Chances are very slim he has any heart at all.

Offline mint chocolate chip

My brother-in-law who I got to invest in BitShares AGS/PTS back in March had all his bitshares in his wallet, on January 15 he made a terrible mistake and transferred all of his bitshares to 'bter' instead of 'btercom' when trying to send his funds to the BTER exchange.

I hope that the owner of the username 'bter' has it within his or her heart to return the funds back to the account from which they came.

FROM tvo
MEMO bter651141m165612

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:59:32 AM PST

Thank you.