Author Topic: Can MaidSafe Decentralize the Internet?  (Read 4121 times)

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit
The network forked at Saturday and the main reason is still unknown.
If we keep ignoring the key problem that this project is facing , no matter how many blog posts , this project is not gonna survive the winter .
Our major competitors are having a field day every time the wallet fails .

Who's attention are you trying to attract , BM ?

It surely are not the existing investors and potential users who would really use the product .

At this point it doesn't matter if the blog is right or wrong  .

We don't even know the CEO of OKPAY ,  and yet millions of people use their product . Did you see his blog posts ?
They provide a sound product , people like to use it , period  . No one would use OKPAY just because of what their CEO think of .  Kindred spirit is hard to find .

Don't get me wrong , I like BM's vision . But as an investor and user , outsiders wouldn't want to invest in Bitshares further until it get some serious improvement . Just look at the account numbers , that doesn't lie . I only opens the wallet if I have too .

I agree, but it does also matter if blog content is any good, it makes a unbearably slow client even worse when one of the guys who's supposed to be fixing it instead writes badly researched blog posts, harming relations with potential allies.  Look at the complaints about the post (more towards the bottom).  The opinions of these guys matters. https://www.maidsafe.org/t/bytemater-bitshares-daniel-larimer-opinion-on-maidsafe/2902.  It could have so easily been a thread filled with positive replies, a strengthened BitShares brand and new interest from developers and investors.  Now those people are turned off forever.

I hold some maidsafecoin, and he's gone and soured that relationship.  Do I need to post in the forum that BM doesn't represent BitShares and is just some community member?  The problem could easily be solved by him stopping blogging.  Hate to bite the hand that feeds me, but someone's got to speak up about this.  It's like a deliberate attack on BitShares.  I'm sorry to say it but blogging is not BM's forte.  Why is he doing it?

There's a limited pool of crypto-people to appeal to, we finally have a great website, all we need to have good PR is for BM to stop blogging and to have occasional, professional announcements.  Except he'll have to now waste time writing more posts to push these maidsafe posts which are liabilities, instead of assets, down from the main page.

While it's easy to complain, sometimes complaints are justified.
Bitshares could instead be fostering an environment of collaborative creativity, by talking amicably with other developers with a genuine shared passion for helping each other to make a big difference.

Offline oldman

• View Profile
BM has some very valid concerns, great to see them elucidated.

The biggest issue is economic incentive.

Bottom line is people are generally lazy, selfish and dumb. Sorry, but true.

So while Maidsafe may be the holy grail of decentralized internet security, if it isn't faster, cheaper, easier and more profitable than the status quo... the masses will not care.

I think that is the main issue with Maidsafe - techno awesome but perhaps the Linux of the internet.

Offline suwoder

• View Profile

Offline merlin0113

• View Profile
Maybe we should make a strong product before go out to "judge" others. I'm ok with bm do blog, but please stop judging people, they just don't like it.

Offline xiahui135

• View Profile
To the most of thing, If the product is good, I just use it. If not, i just leave without complaining or concerning what their worker said.

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
The blog is a good thing and is not suppose to be a tool for converting current alt coin holders. It's an encyclopedia of topics that could likely be used to help explain most questions NEW investors may have. Running everything through a "group think" filter is a bad idea and leads to vanilla and non thought provoking ideas. Plus he says it's his blog and thoughts and it doesn't necessarily represent bitshares as a whole.

yes , that's a bad idea in general , because carefulness can prevent potential disaster and keep investors confidence , it'll drive the price up in the long run . That kind of advantage is not good enough for carefulness , after all , it's just millions of  money at stake . It's no big deal .  ???
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 12:41:20 pm by btswildpig »
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline xiahui135

• View Profile
i have never read BM's blog, and i have no interest in it. I also do not concern what other CEO says when i use the product.

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
The blog is a good thing and is not suppose to be a tool for converting current alt coin holders. It's an encyclopedia of topics that could likely be used to help explain most questions NEW investors may have. Running everything through a "group think" filter is a bad idea and leads to vanilla and non thought provoking ideas. Plus he says it's his blog and thoughts and it doesn't necessarily represent bitshares as a whole.

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
Claiming BM doesn't represent the project won't work .

People will know it's a lie .
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline matt608

• View Profile
If we keep ignoring the key problem that this project is facing , no matter how many blog posts , this project is not gonna survive the winter .

It surely are not the existing investors and potential users who would really use the product .

We don't even know the CEO of OKPAY ,  and yet millions of people use their product . Did you see his blog posts ?
They provide a sound product , people like to use it , period  . No one would use OKPAY just because of what their CEO think of .  Kindred spirit is hard to find .

Don't get me wrong , I like BM's vision . But as an investor and user , outsiders wouldn't want to invest in Bitshares further until it get some serious improvement . Just look at the account numbers , that doesn't lie . I only opens the wallet if I have too .

I agree, but it does also matter if blog content is any good, it makes a unbearably slow client even worse when one of the guys who's supposed to be fixing it instead writes badly researched blog posts, harming relations with potential allies.  Look at the complaints about the post (more towards the bottom).  The opinions of these guys matters. https://www.maidsafe.org/t/bytemater-bitshares-daniel-larimer-opinion-on-maidsafe/2902.  It could have so easily been a thread filled with positive replies, a strengthened BitShares brand and new interest from developers and investors.  Now those people are turned off forever.

I hold some maidsafecoin, and he's gone and soured that relationship.  Do I need to post in the forum that BM doesn't represent BitShares and is just some community member?  The problem could easily be solved by him stopping blogging.  Hate to bite the hand that feeds me, but someone's got to speak up about this.  It's like a deliberate attack on BitShares.  I'm sorry to say it but blogging is not BM's forte.  Why is he doing it?

There's a limited pool of crypto-people to appeal to, we finally have a great website, all we need to have good PR is for BM to stop blogging and to have occasional, professional announcements.  Except he'll have to now waste time writing more posts to push these maidsafe posts which are liabilities, instead of assets, down from the main page.

While it's easy to complain, sometimes complaints are justified.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 10:54:33 am by matt608 »

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
From maidsafe forum:

"I really wish he would just come over to these forums and ask some questions first, rather than speculating on many points what MaidSafe plans to do. Because the result is that he often doesn't list the option that MaidSafe is going for, or he picks the right one and spends only one sentence on it."  - Seneca

"It doesn't look good that he's messed up on fairly well known (to many here) facts, and not come here to church his understanding first. I know next to nothing about bitshares but it doesn't inspire confidence." - happybeing
Outsch .. but valid points :(

Offline matt608

• View Profile
From maidsafe forum:

"I really wish he would just come over to these forums and ask some questions first, rather than speculating on many points what MaidSafe plans to do. Because the result is that he often doesn't list the option that MaidSafe is going for, or he picks the right one and spends only one sentence on it."  - Seneca

"It doesn't look good that he's messed up on fairly well known (to many here) facts, and not come here to church his understanding first. I know next to nothing about bitshares but it doesn't inspire confidence." - happybeing

Could the sloppily researched blog posts please stop.  What happened to the 'screening' of blog posts by some of the marketing team before they are released?  Having to make corrections to posts is a complete facepalm, especially when the corrected version is still sloppy.  Openly pointing out that  'whatever is going to be said might be wrong and that is doesn't matter' is not seen anywhere else for a reason, because leaders and experts are supposed to get their facts straight before publicly saying anything.  You could have posted your post in the maidsafe forum to get their input first on all your uncertainties about their system and done some quality community building.  Instead it's another short cut, taped over mistakes and the weakness paraded around pubicly on stage.  Less is more.

All we need from the blog is a professional image that increases confidence in BitShares.  1 thoroughly fact-checked post per month would be enough, or 1 per week would be ok too, even if it took 5 times as long to write and was only twice as good.  You may get diminishing returns in traffic, but you get increasing returns in confidence! If it takes too long to research for it to time-efficient, then the answer is not to write anything at all.   

« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 10:09:18 pm by matt608 »

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.