Author Topic: Can you edit BitShares wallet registration?  (Read 1768 times)

Offline valzav

• View Profile
I believe the registration faucet uses the gmail account only to prevent abuse, i. e. mass registration through a bot. Only one registration per account is allowed. Or something like that.

It stated that it would get access to the gmail account emails and contacts.

Faucet uses google's oauth with default settings, probably this includes access to contacts, I'll investigate this on Monday and make necessary changes to limit it only to email address.
Let me stress this - the only reason faucet requires users to login with identity provider like Google is to prevent abuse of free account registrations, it doesn't store any additional information besides your email address. Faucet doesn't pass any data received from Google to the blockchain, so your account won't be linked to your email address publicly (on the blockchain).
The faucet's source code is open sourced so anybody can examine it and confirm my words. The source code can be found here https://github.com/BitShares/web_services

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I got the following reply in a different thread:

There really is no link between your gmail account and the bitshares account .. AFAIK entering a valid mail address is only required as an entropy source for the random passphrase

There is NO association between your bitshares account and your gmail account ..
also note that NO ONE will ever be able to send you your passphrase as it is only stored in your brain .. no where else ..

so please take the backup advises serious
No that I have read what you exactly did, let me rephrase .. the mail address you entered in the faucet is used to prevent spamming of accounts on the blockchain .. the faucet will only pay for one account per mail address ... once you have your own funds you can register as many as you like .. but the faucet helps to get over the initial-registration-with-no-funds chicken-and-egg problem ..

hence the restriction to one account per mail at the faucet ...

AFAIK, there has been a discussion whether to maybe use the mails from the faucet to send out security announcements of some kind .. but IIRC the consensus was to not use them for marketing and for sure not gonna sell them at all cost :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 08:09:30 am by xeroc ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ »

Offline bitcoinnoisseur

• View Profile
I got the following reply in a different thread:

There really is no link between your gmail account and the bitshares account .. AFAIK entering a valid mail address is only required as an entropy source for the random passphrase

There is NO association between your bitshares account and your gmail account ..
also note that NO ONE will ever be able to send you your passphrase as it is only stored in your brain .. no where else ..

so please take the backup advises serious

Offline bitcoinnoisseur

• View Profile
I believe the registration faucet uses the gmail account only to prevent abuse, i. e. mass registration through a bot. Only one registration per account is allowed. Or something like that.

It stated that it would get access to the gmail account emails and contacts.

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano

Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline bitcoinnoisseur

• View Profile
I accidentally registered my BitShares wallet under my fathers gmail account as I was using his Mac. I wasn't aware he was signed into Google Chrome. There is also no warning of which gmail account will be registered. I assumed I would have to enter it and the password. I do not want his gmail associated with my BitShares wallet and neither does he. Is there a way to change this and if not, what are the implications? I will have no access to his gmail.