Author Topic: BitShares 0.6.0 Feedback  (Read 11004 times)

Offline coolspeed

• View Profile
    • My Blog
Serious problem
On Korean windows, all menus are broken - cannot distinguish anything
Please resolve this problem ASAP

PS. I tried other languages on Korean Windows, but they all fail (showing "ko" only)

【Major GUI Issue】
1. Had the same issue on Mac.
A specific language translation file does not fix the problem. Forcing user to use the system language is not acceptible even if you had the completed translation, if I give feedback at the standard level of a mature GUI product. Leaving the system language as the default language and allowing the user to change it later is acceptible, if you have a completed translation.

【Minor GUI Issue】
2. When I press command + comma, it returned nothing.

Sorry but I don't quite know how to submit a github issue, or whether it is expected.
Please vote for  delegate.coolspeed    dac.coolspeed
BTS account: coolspeed
Sina Weibo:@coolspeed

Offline roadscape

The wallet is faster and much more stable.

I can leave the market open for extended periods of time and it doesn't melt my CPU  +5%
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline hpenvy2

• View Profile
Cosmetic recommendation

"Warning! Scammers often make fake accounts to trick people into sending their funds to the wrong place. Please triple-check the name you have entered."

Could we possibly have a  Precautions - Read Before Sending link instead? When the user clicks on it, the original text then appears below it.   The keywords that stick out to me when I'm first exploring the wallet is scammer and fake accounts.
you know how to do pull request?
https://github.com/BitShares/web_wallet/blob/master/app/static/locale-en.json
If not just send me the modified version and I can send a pull request for you

Thank you for the response. I will find a quick YouTube pull request vid. :)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Cosmetic recommendation

"Warning! Scammers often make fake accounts to trick people into sending their funds to the wrong place. Please triple-check the name you have entered."

Could we possibly have a  Precautions - Read Before Sending link instead? When the user clicks on it, the original text then appears below it.   The keywords that stick out to me when I'm first exploring the wallet is scammer and fake accounts.
you know how to do pull request?
https://github.com/BitShares/web_wallet/blob/master/app/static/locale-en.json
If not just send me the modified version and I can send a pull request for you

Offline hpenvy2

• View Profile
Cosmetic recommendation

Offline vlight

• View Profile
  • BitShares: vlight
It's the third time now it re-syncs the whole blockchain from the beginning without asking me to reset the database or continue normally as he did in past...
And for not obvious reason! I didn't make any transaction, just closed and reopened the client... Must wait again  >:(

This happens to me, but only if i launch 2 instances of BitShares.exe.

Offline hpenvy2

• View Profile

I don't see an option to submit my choice to receive the news letter.  If I just need to select the radio button for submission, it would be great to have some type of feedback from the system. 'Thank you for..'

Offline hpenvy2

• View Profile
I've installed the client on a brand new machine and running through some tests.

1. Failing registering username faucet through Google

It let me enter my credentials the first time and failed. Every time I go back to it I get the message below.

"We're sorry, but something went wrong.

If you are the application owner check the logs for more information "

Where do I find these logs?

I've fixed the faucet, could you try to register it again?

Fixed.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
It's the third time now it re-syncs the whole blockchain from the beginning without asking me to reset the database or continue normally as he did in past...
And for not obvious reason! I didn't make any transaction, just closed and reopened the client... Must wait again  >:(

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
I have tried both building 0.5.3 myself and using the pre-compiled 0.5.1 binaries. The results are the same: the clients are totally unusable.

The CLI client of both versions still has the unbearable typing lag I mentioned last time. Running it with --server and using the web wallet doesn't help. It is very slow. The RPC POST requests have an average latency of around 2 minutes and some of them timeout with an error!

The Qt client isn't better. The 0.5.3 Qt client is very slow and laggy and sometimes won't ever load pages like the market. In fact it completely froze my Ubuntu system (hard reset required) when I tried to load the market in an attempt to cover a short! The performance of the 0.5.1 Qt client was actually pretty decent, but I quickly realized the only reason that was the case was because the blockchain wasn't syncing at all beyond the point left by the CLI client (a problem I mentioned last time with v0.4.27.2), meaning its completely worthless.

So basically there is no properly functioning client for me at the moment. I only have 4 GB of RAM on the laptop so I didn't expect super snappy performance with the full client, but this is just ridiculous. It has to be some bug in the client right? Or is my computer somehow messed up?

Please let me know if these performance problems are still present in 0.6.0.

The blockchain replay on initial start of v0.6.0 of bitshares_client took a pretty long time (specifically, it took 12931 seconds to replay 1643284 blocks, or an average rate of 127 blocks/second) but at least it wasn't too taxing on my computer which allowed me to comfortably multitask. But this was only up to the block as of 10 days ago (last time I synced the BitShares blockchain).

So then I let the client sync the remaining 10 days of blocks. During this time it was taxing my computer noticeably more than during replay but it was still okay for multitasking [1]. However, bitshares_client was experiencing the horrible typing lag (this is with the wallet closed). The remaining syncing took approximately 110 minutes, so that was another 1735192-1643284=91908 blocks in roughly 6600 seconds, which is an average of 14 blocks/second. That average rate is significantly smaller than the 127 blocks/second replay rate, but to be fair the replay rate was an average over many blocks and I did notice that the instantaneous replay rate significantly slowed over time (meaning the syncing rate seems to get worse as the blockchain/database evolves over time). The typical IO usage during this syncing process was roughly 7 MB/s disk read and roughly 200 KB/s disk write (although towards the last few days worth of blocks that it was syncing the write rate had dropped to somewhere around 75 KB/s).

Actually, what was interesting is that the client never really synced. It reached close to the head block but was always 10 to 20 seconds behind. The typing lag remained. The virtual memory usage was above 5.5 GB and the resident memory usage was about 2 GB. And it was still heavily taxing my computer. So, I closed bitshares_client and then restarted.

When bitshares_client started up again, it exhibited no typing lag and I was able to see that it was 4 minutes behind. Within a few seconds, it synced to the present head block (< 10 seconds behind). It again still exhibited no typing lag. It was able to keep the blockchain in sync while barely taxing the computer. During this time the disk read usage was typically around 5 MB/s and the disk write usage was typically under 10 KB/s. The initial memory usage was a little over 2 GB in virtual memory, a little over 600 MB in resident memory, and a little over 200 MB in shared memory. This is all with the wallet still closed.

Then, I unlocked the wallet. The wallet scanning finished quickly. Everything was still running smoothly. No typing lag, no trouble maintaining sync. The previous problem I had reported seems to be solved (thanks Vikram!).

So, what I have learned from this is that there was a performance bug with the client when the wallet is unlocked that existed in 0.5.3 and was solved with 0.6.0, that the client still has a lot of trouble initially syncing the blockchain to the present after being offline for a while (at least on my computer with 4 GB of RAM and a HDD), and that the blockchain syncing gets significantly worse over time and the client uses more and more memory (seemingly unnecessarily) which is why it probably makes sense to restart the client after some amount of syncing in those cases so that it can start fresh. It also suggests to sync the blockchain more frequently (I guess I need to make it a habit to sync the blockchain once a day even when I have no use for it).

[1] This is not entirely true. First, I noticed that the memory usage of bitshares_client steadily increased over time (resident memory had grown over 2 GB near the end of the sync; virtual memory was over 5.5 GB). At some point during the syncing process, Chrome (which I was using at the time) started using the disk a lot too (maybe because RAM became even more scarce than normal?) and that combined with the IO usage of bitshares_client seems to have really brought my computer to its knees. I wasn't able to investigate carefully because I was just trying to fix the problem before I would be forced into hard resetting the computer. There was a period of time (several minutes) where the entire computer GUI was frozen so badly and it took me minutes to just switch to a console to type the command "killall chrome" and regain usable control of my computer. The conclusion I am reaching is that I cannot actually both run Chrome and sync the blockchain to the present after a long time of being offline using bitshares_client at the same time on my computer. : (

Offline joele

• View Profile
It's getting harder and harder to sync or replay the blockhain with a PC that has HDD. And i'm not even using GUI now. In a few months it will not be just hard but rather impossible. And it's not like it uses the whole RAM or CPU, but just overloads the HDD. Is it because of 10 sec block target ? Seems like this is a major problem :-X
.BUG~buG

first time start client,it can sync,but after it ,clients cannot sync while client is ruining

I'm having the same issue, I have 18 network connections. I've restarted twice and let it run 15 minutes at a time (11h 39m).

Try running the Windows bitshares console under \Program Files\BitSharesX\bin\bitshares_client.exe its syncing the blocks consistently compare to GUI, once synced then you can open the GUI.

and use Memory Improve Master software to manage the memory problem.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 07:22:00 am by joele »

Offline hpenvy2

• View Profile
.BUG~buG

first time start client,it can sync,but after it ,clients cannot sync while client is ruining

I'm having the same issue, I have 18 network connections. I've restarted twice and let it run 15 minutes at a time (11h 39m).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 06:10:15 am by hpenvy2 »

Offline vlight

• View Profile
  • BitShares: vlight
It's getting harder and harder to sync or replay the blockhain with a PC that has HDD. And i'm not even using GUI now. In a few months it will not be just hard but rather impossible. And it's not like it uses the whole RAM or CPU, but just overloads the HDD. Is it because of 10 sec block target ? Seems like this is a major problem :-X

Offline vikram

Oh .. i see .. i guess I dont need that for a delegate?

Correct, we only disabled some optional information tracking. Delegates and normal users still operate normally. The additional info is pretty much only useful to block explorers, people doing tech support, or the curious.
I conclude:
- this feature results in less disk usage
- some of us (me included) should have at least one machine runnimg with all stats active

Are there more parameters i should enable to have the full thing in the databases?

Less disk usage and less disk accesses and processing while syncing/reindexing. You just need --statistics-enabled and have to reindex, or set it to true in your config.json so you don't have to give the extra flag for every future reindex too.

I'll probably enable it on my delegate since its a node that's always running and it's handy to use when querying info for tech support occasionally.

Also it needs to be enabled for light wallet servers.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Oh .. i see .. i guess I dont need that for a delegate?

Correct, we only disabled some optional information tracking. Delegates and normal users still operate normally. The additional info is pretty much only useful to block explorers, people doing tech support, or the curious.
I conclude:
- this feature results in less disk usage
- some of us (me included) should have at least one machine runnimg with all stats active

Are there more parameters i should enable to have the full thing in the databases?