Author Topic: How about BitBeer?  (Read 1326 times)

Offline edilliam

Also, I met the guy who made this the other week: http://www.dogerain.io/

Really fun idea, you "make it rain" Dogecoin on other users by repeatedly swiping up on your phone screen as if you are launching dollar bills into the air. Genius!  :D
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 01:40:30 am by edilliam »

Offline edilliam

https://www.changetip.com/ kind of allows you to do this. You can set up your own parameters like beer = $3.50 and then whenever you tip someone on Reddit you can say tip beer and it will tip them $3.50 worth of BTC at the time of the tip as long as you have that amount in your tipping balance. We really, really need Reddit tipping ASAP imo.

BTW I tipped an elected delegate a beer amount of BTS the other week as a little experiment, don't think they have noticed yet...

Offline fuzzy

There are no price feeds, nor open markets for 'beer'. What kind of beer? Where is it sold?

It's a lot like the problem of pegging to 1 oz of marijuana. There are a million different kinds, and each kind has a different price depending on where you are.

This is why we need potshares sharedropped on potcoin asap. We do it ourselves before someone else does, and then have a vested % of their maximum total supply sharedropped onto us from the very beginning. 

Then "sharedrop" the rest of the unmined tokens on the current holders (which makes them happy).  Sure it would probably anger the miners, but they are a very small minority these days and we could tell everyone the miners are unnecessarily taxing potcoin holders to secure the network...essentially stealing value from them.  Then you effectively have an entire marijuana free-marketplace that establishes going prices for all strains and grades of strains.  And a teaching opportunity for us to show how DPoS is a superior protocol.

I assure u if we dont start doing this ourselves, its going to be tough to get other coins that decide to use dpos AND sharedrop on us (why would they if they could just give those extra shaes to themselvss?)

Of course we could do the same thing for beer too :)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 01:15:15 am by fuzzy »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

julian1

There are no price feeds, nor open markets for 'beer'. What kind of beer? Where is it sold?

It's a lot like the problem of pegging to 1 oz of marijuana. There are a million different kinds, and each kind has a different price depending on where you are.

You're thinking about this as a trader would - ie how do I exploit the discount spread between low-sulfur west-texas crude and brent sea oil spot etc.

But the novelty should work, for tipping/token purposes, so as the notional value of a beer is kept in people's minds and there is some monetary value represented. Hell, make it cheesy, and specify the contract as "1 international unit of Heineken pale lager".

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile

julian1

I was reading a helpful post made in response to a problem that a user was having over in /r/bitcoin. As is customary in that subreddt, the OP then invoked the Bitcoin tipbot. However, instead of requesting Bitcoin they did it with a humorous tip of +1 Beer.

It got me thinking, how cool it would be, to be able to easily tip someone the value of a Beer over the internet? Tipping Bitcoin always comes across as slightly desperate - unless it's made to precisely the right audience - mostly nerdy, college-educated computing professionals. But almost everyone recognizes the friendly connotations involved in the gesture of offering someone a beer.

The way to achieve this in Bitshares would be to select an identifiable beer label (or basket of labels) such as Heinekein and have delegates publish price feeds using online liquor merchants. Once it's trading, we have a global internet currency denominated in beer and fully redeemable for BitUSD.

Dogecoin is the leading example that shows how well memes can network alongside blockchain technology. It could be called BeerCoin or BitBeer and it would showcase and be an example introduction to the capabilities of BitShares.