Author Topic: Instead of adding BitShares to a Bitcoin wallet...  (Read 5371 times)

Offline vegolino

• Reality is Information
    • View Profile

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

There are some good ideas in this thread that have merit.

Anybody like to develop this wallet/exchange? Whos up for it?
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline joele

• View Profile

+5% +5%  +5%  +5% to "BitShares Exchange" instead of wallet.

Offline bluebit

• View Profile
 +5%  +5%  +5% to "BitShares Exchange" instead of wallet.
BTSX TipMe: bluebit

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
Bitcoiners know BitBTC isn't real BTC.  It doesn't have the same appeal as having a wallet that holds real BTC.  It just can't be sold as a bitcoin wallet without holding real BTC.

It won't be sold as a bitcoin wallet. It will be sold as an exchange. Just as you know the BTC you hold in the exchange is not actually BTC, BitBTC also is not BTC. Except, you own the private keys and it is not exposed to counterparty risk.

Offline matt608

• View Profile
Isn't it already called the BitShares decentralised exchange?

Bitcoiners know BitBTC isn't real BTC.  It doesn't have the same appeal as having a wallet that holds real BTC.  It just can't be sold as a bitcoin wallet without holding real BTC.

But still metaexchagne/shapeshift should be added into the wallet as a deposit method like you say, along with other deposit methods.   

So - both can be done!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 09:40:01 pm by matt608 »

Offline yellowecho

+5% to "BitShares Exchange" instead of wallet.
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
 +5% for "BitShares Exchange" instead of wallet. "Wallet" is way too simple for everything BitShares is trying to do here.

A separate program specifically for holding funds (the light wallet?) should be the "wallet" (or "bank" or something if we're gonna go that direction).

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I like it .. bitshares exchange ..
 +5%

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
Furthermore, once the website version of BitShares Exchange is running smoothly, they won't even have to download anything!

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
Then, maybe we should rebrand the 'wallet' part of the name of the GUI to 'exchange'.

Go to bitshares.org and download BitShares Exchange.

After all, I think 'wallet' doesn't really describe what the GUI does anymore, and 'exchange' is a much better fit.

Then, they would see this not as installing an 'alt coin wallet', but installing something that will let them trade in the same way they deposit their money into a traditional exchange-- except we have the advantage of marketing that it is decentralized.

You can deposit BTS into the BitShares Exchange (this is just another way of saying that you purchased BTS from somewhere and transferred them to your account), or you can deposit BTC into the BitShares Exchange (this is another way of saying that the GUI client has a built in system that interfaces with 3rd party bridge services to trade BTC for BitBTC, giving minimal risk exposure). You can then trade your BitBTC for BitUSD.

Let's try that again without all the cruft:

Install BitShares Exchange.
Deposit BTC.
Trade for USD.

That's it! They don't even have to buy bitshares, just as when I use Cryptsy I don't have to invest in their company shares.

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
It has the advantage of spreading our our name, our brand, however:

A bitcoin user is more prone to use a bitcoin wallet with that feature than using a bitshares wallet with the same feature. I dont know if it's the case, but from what I see around forums, there are a lot and i mean a lot, bitcoin user's that are bitcoin-centric, for them, bitcoin is the one and only and there can not be another one. They're like horses with blinkers. They can only see what's in front of them. I'm not saying most are like this, but i've seen quite a few. They fail to see multiple cryptos can coexist. ie: bitcoin for normal stuff like buying a coffee, ripple for banks and bitshares for stock trading, a decentralized nasdaq and also for crowdfunding.

Whatever they use a bitcoin wallet with that feature or a bitshares wallet with that feature, they will use bitAssets, that's what matters. They bring volume either way.

In the end I'd say a bitcoin wallet with the feature is better vs the bitshares one becasue of those reasons. A bitcoin user is much more likely to download a bitcoin wallet than a bitshares wallet, even if they do the same thing.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
...Add Bitcoin to the BitShares wallet!

I'm imagining a tab that says "Deposit BTC", which opens up to a page showing the best rate from either metaexchange.info or shapeshift, showing your current BitBTC balance.

This should be simple to implement, yes??

With the new web wallet, this could be the easiest path to giving accessible trust-free decentralized BitUSD hedging!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 08:28:02 pm by fluxer555 »