Author Topic: X11 70% Mining Boost Guide - Now Live, Please Test  (Read 7500 times)

Offline D-seeker

x11 doesn't seem to work. I have a amd 7700 gpu and would like to use x11.

Offline Nickies08

• View Profile
So I have an update: firstly, you are correct that there are no X11 kernel mods for the R9 295x2. However, the R9 290X mod makes a great difference in performance. It has given me about 6-7Mh/s extra hashing power. I truly wonder what I could get with a dedicated kernel mod. Secondly, I started using xintensity 64 with 2 GPU threads in my config files. That has given me another 1-2Mh/s on average but has raised my rejects slightly. So I have some tweaking to do.  But at good times my miner info has shown up to 21.35Mh/s and I average above 17Mh/s.

As for my original inquiry, I am still waiting for my riser to arrive so I haven't put the other card in my computer. But I happened to get my friend interested in mining and we set his computer up with a 280X and 290X which are different chipsets. Sgminer creates a bin file for each card. So we only had to replace each file with the appropriate kernel mods. He is getting over 14Mh/s, up from 9Mh/s.

New Update:
I have the second card running in my machine now and it works flawlessly. Same procedure as with my friend's system but I am using a riser for the second card.

Both cards (Three GPU's) are mining stable with very little stales or errors. Using Xintensity 64, and gpu-threads 2 on both cards. sgminer minimum hashrates are: GPU0 8.614Mh/s, GPU1 8.661Mh/s and GPU2 2.4Mh/s.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 03:13:50 am by Nickies08 »

Offline tora62

• View Profile
  • BitShares: tora62
No probs  :)

Btw, I think that you won't have any problems with your R7 265 which is based on Curaçao (Pitcairn) chip - Wolf made kernel mods for it.
But, if I'm getting it right, R9 295x2 is based on Vesuvius (-XT) chip, and as far as I know, there aren't any X11 kernel mods for it at this time.

Good luck with testing!
If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0...

Offline Nickies08

• View Profile
Thanks for the information! I'll be sure to test these ideas out. I'll do some reading on how to do those specific things and give it a try. I will be sure to update everyone on my results.

Offline tora62

• View Profile
If I'm using two different models of cards; what happens?

If you use two instances of sgminer, each from its own directory*, and run them with switches --device or --profile-device (depends on your config) where argument of the switch points explicitly to a device, everything should be ok.

*-by default kernel file will be created (and then replaced with mod) in the directory from which the binary was called. For instance, if you use a script to call the sgminer binary with params in the same directory in which the binary is, that's the dir where kernel file will be created on the first run. But, if you call a script which points to the binary in a different dir, kernel file will be created in the script's dir.

For testing purposes, my suggestion is that you have two sgminer dirs, in which you create configs for each card respectively, and in them you use caller scripts with params. Each binary will create it's own kernel file in it's own dir, which you replace and rename.

Note; if your cards have the same kernel type, you could use them both with one sgminer instance and one modded kernel. But I don't have this kind of a setup, so I can't confirm.

Offline Nickies08

• View Profile
Ok, so if I use two identical cards, I know I won't have an issue. Could it work with my original plan of the R7 265 and R9 295x2?

To get the speed increase, we replace the file created by sgminer with one for the model card being used. If I'm using two different models of cards; what happens?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
I've used your guide and it has made an amazing difference for my R9 265! I average 2.9Mh/s and have peaked at a little over 4Mh/s. I am planning to put a R9 295x2 in my computer next week and was originally going to use the R7 265 through a powered PCI-e 1x to PCI-e 16x riser cable. But since I found this modification, I don't know if/how I could use the two cards in the one computer and make use of the speed increases. Will I have to get a second computer to run the two different cards? Will the modification work if I use multiple cards that are the exact same model?

I'm running two R9 270Xs in my system and this works fine.

Offline Nickies08

• View Profile
I've used your guide and it has made an amazing difference for my R9 265! I average 2.9Mh/s and have peaked at a little over 4Mh/s. I am planning to put a R9 295x2 in my computer next week and was originally going to use the R7 265 through a powered PCI-e 1x to PCI-e 16x riser cable. But since I found this modification, I don't know if/how I could use the two cards in the one computer and make use of the speed increases. Will I have to get a second computer to run the two different cards? Will the modification work if I use multiple cards that are the exact same model?

Offline tora62

• View Profile

.. they have a good point ..

it's all about trust .. establish some trust and then you are good to go posting binaries ..
maybe verify your bitcointalk account or any other information of yours ..

Well said and point taken.

My bad, won't happen again.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Removed. And not tryin' to convince anyone of anything.

You seem pretty set in your convictions already.  :)
.. they have a good point ..

it's all about trust .. establish some trust and then you are good to go posting binaries ..
maybe verify your bitcointalk account or any other information of yours ..

Offline tora62

• View Profile
Removed. And not tryin' to convince anyone of anything.

You seem pretty set in your convictions already.  :)

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
Ermmm, would you care to elaborate?

Files can be inspected, nothing is self-executable, and their content is sgminer compiled for windows, and wolf's modded kernels.

Just wanted to make a contrib. Give me a valid reason, or an admins/moderators order, and I'll take the post and links down myself.

Granted, one should always be suspicious towards linked stuff, but not everything is malicious.

You have a few days old account and you post downloading links like those above? GET LOST!

What are you trying to do? are you trying to convince people that downloading content from links provided by complete strangers is safe? NO IT ISN'T!

What do you mean by saying "Files can be inspected"? you can NEVER be 100% protected from malware/viruses/whatever.

I will say it once more, downloading content from links provided by strangers is STUPID!

Even if you had the best intentions and your links/downloads are not malicious, you should not try to make people endorse this kind of behavior.

+5% +5% +5%

PS even from very well known members we must be careful because sometimes accounts get hacked...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 09:47:16 pm by liondani »

chryspano

Ermmm, would you care to elaborate?

Files can be inspected, nothing is self-executable, and their content is sgminer compiled for windows, and wolf's modded kernels.

Just wanted to make a contrib. Give me a valid reason, or an admins/moderators order, and I'll take the post and links down myself.

Granted, one should always be suspicious towards linked stuff, but not everything is malicious.

You have a few days old account and you post downloading links like those above? GET LOST!

What are you trying to do? are you trying to convince people that downloading content from links provided by complete strangers is safe? NO IT ISN'T!

What do you mean by saying "Files can be inspected"? you can NEVER be 100% protected from malware/viruses/whatever.

I will say it once more, downloading content from links provided by strangers is STUPID!

Even if you had the best intentions and your links/downloads are not malicious, you should not try to make people endorse this kind of behavior.

chryspano

^^^^ EVERYONE SHOULD STAY AWAY FROM THOSE LINKS!

EDIT
Links removed, ignore this post
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 04:48:53 am by chryspano »

Offline nethyb

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nethyb
+5%

Went thru tutorial and it looks good and should be very clear for anyone looking to mine. At the moment I doubt there will be anyone but established miners joining mining so the tutorial is more than adequate, but should be fine for entry level as well.  I ended up only needing a couple of the things from it, but I did increase my rig from 2.3MH to 3.75MH or ~65% (just an R9-280).

Thanks for posting your result JWF,  It's always difficult trying to cater for a wide audience - it may be a bit too much for experienced miners, but as you say if they never knew about it before a boost is a boost - and less experienced miners should be able to follow the instructions easily.