Author Topic: Vegas Baby, Vegas: The Buzz About Bitshares by Brian Page  (Read 8204 times)

Offline bytemaster

When investing in the mind blowingly fast growing cryptospace we tend to get spoiled by our returns.
If we were investing in unit trusts we would celebrate a 20% annual growth but in cryptospace we get unhappy if we dont double our money in a month. I am guilty of this impatience at times too.

PTS is very new and Keyhotee and BitShares will have to go through various developmental and adoption stages.

Prototypes will have to be launched and iterated on.
The final product will be popular among the tech savvy people.
Once more people find out and it becomes more user friendly, we will have early adoption.
The problem with revolutionary ideas such as Bitcoin, Keyhotee and BitShares is that they require knowledge and understanding for mass adoption.

Currently there is no real market for BitShares, bankers dont know that they are paying high fees to middle-men. Traders dont wake up thinking "I wish I didnt have to trade using the centralized, trusted, corruptible third parties. When will someone create an unmanned, decentralized, un-corruptible company for me to trade in."

This market needs to be created through understanding. But when understanding comes, the masses will come flooding in. And we will be there waiting patiently to sell them our BitShares at mindblowingly high prices, and then we will be spoilt rotten by the returns.

A very good post.

I think we're all pretty excited about the things to come, and naturally we clamor for more information. While the lack of information can be a bit disconcerting, I'd like to imagine that mktdirector is taking his time in order to create a cohesive marketing plan.

In the meantime, I am really enjoying watching Invictus grow, and if nothing else, this entire experience has been a great entrepreneurial ride along. We are still on the ground floor and it is a fascinating (and rare!) opportunity to witness a skyscraper being built.

Lets just say that as a company we never dreamed we would have this kind of attention this quickly.   We expected PTS to be a slow launch that would give people an opportunity to mine over 6 months while we built out our products.   It is clear now that there is huge demand.   Our biggest challenge is getting the division of labor in place.   As a software developer I can write code faster than most, but I am still only one developer.  My job goes far beyond writing code these days so we are going through the difficult process of recruiting talent.  Unfortunately, there is almost no talent out there that is already familiar with Bitcoin, Blockchains, Cryptography, and economics.  The talent that does exist is already employed in high paying jobs.   

We are doing our best, but these products are still in the prototyping proof-of-concept phases and there is a lot of work ahead.    We will get there and are putting plans in place to accelerate the process.

Thanks for all of your support. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bytemaster

Bytemaster,

I am sure that you realize this, but be very wary of people demanding marketing at this point. Stay the course and focus on the fundamentals.

PS. Please change this CAPTCHA, it is limiting my posting greatly. Thanks

I think the Captcha goes away after your 3rd post.   
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bitcoinba

• View Profile
Bytemaster,

I am sure that you realize this, but be very wary of people demanding marketing at this point. Stay the course and focus on the fundamentals.

PS. Please change this CAPTCHA, it is limiting my posting greatly. Thanks

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
Should someone from Invictus be doing a TED talk?
I would say that Keyhotee and BitShares are 'ideas worth spreading'.

Brian,

Should things like this be done now in order to create buzz before launch.
Or should these things happen after a polished product exists.

MrJeans,

A TED talk would certainly be something worth looking into in the future. I'm a huge fan of TED and I've been involved with TEDx at a local level. But keep in mind that getting invited to be a part of the main TED talks is an extremely competitive proposition with its own complex politics to navigate. At this point our main focus is to craft the brand and message and to release the upcoming products and services on time.  My thought is that the media will come to us as these are released and refined.  One doesn't need to overtly sell an idea who's time has come, as is true of Bitshares.  Great idea for down the road for sure. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 02:41:03 pm by MktDirector »

Offline solaaire

• praise the sun!
    • View Profile
When investing in the mind blowingly fast growing cryptospace we tend to get spoiled by our returns.
If we were investing in unit trusts we would celebrate a 20% annual growth but in cryptospace we get unhappy if we dont double our money in a month. I am guilty of this impatience at times too.

PTS is very new and Keyhotee and BitShares will have to go through various developmental and adoption stages.

Once more people find out and it becomes more user friendly, we will have early adoption.
The problem with revolutionary ideas such as Bitcoin, Keyhotee and BitShares is that they require knowledge and understanding for mass adoption.

Currently there is no real market for BitShares, bankers dont know that they are paying high fees to middle-men. Traders dont wake up thinking "I wish I didnt have to trade using the centralized, trusted, corruptible third parties. When will someone create an unmanned, decentralized, un-corruptible company for me to trade in."

This market needs to be created through understanding. But when understanding comes, the masses will come flooding in. And we will be there waiting patiently to sell them our BitShares at mindblowingly high prices, and then we will be spoilt rotten by the returns.

A very good post.

I think we're all pretty excited about the things to come, and naturally we clamor for more information. While the lack of information can be a bit disconcerting, I'd like to imagine that mktdirector is taking his time in order to create a cohesive marketing plan.

In the meantime, I am really enjoying watching Invictus grow, and if nothing else, this entire experience has been a great entrepreneurial ride along. We are still on the ground floor and it is a fascinating (and rare!) opportunity to witness a skyscraper being built.

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans

Offline hammerbrain

• View Profile
One guy I met offered to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars with Dan and I watched at least two people each offer him millions.

:-\

busygin

Yes, releasing a user-friendly product with least possible amount of bugs will do much more for the long term success than any marketing campaign or press releases. Was there any "media push" when Google first came online, for example?

Keyhotee will be launched as an alpha test and will not be widely marketed until we have worked out all of the bugs that we are sure to find as part of alpha testing.  The general public release and media push will be made once we have achieved stable operation.   

A lot has happened in those 5 weeks including a major setback when our first Marketing Director resigned unexpectedly.   

We have Super3 revamping the website and cleaning up our public face and all of these things should come together in time for a public push for Keyhotee.

Offline Beetle559

• View Profile
I think people may need to adjust their expectations a little. Protoshares is less than two months old, Bitshares doesn't even exist yet. Most people are under the impression that protoshares is just another alt-coin, it will take some time for that to change even with brilliant marketing.

Offline rysgc

• View Profile
    • DACZine.com
In case you'd like someone to help you with "press releases" and handling relations with journalists - Am glad to help.
Am not good in writing -but am good in handling relationships and if me or my associates can step in and help we'd be glad. My partner is a member of 2 major accelerators (one in london and one in Hong Kong) and I am well associated with one in India.  We'd be glad to help in whatever ways possible.

I feel a small round of PR round-up will have our value soaring , more early adapters.
I feel having more adapters would also be good as it can push us to faster bug fixes.

Am just disappointed I haven't seen anything major so far and with the value of BTC hitting a rock bottom (considering the rate at which its going) - I fear the trust people have in PTS could also diminish.

I will have Brian contact you.

His personality is far too abrasive to contribute effectively in marketing in my opinion.

I agree, I guess we're all in this together and we should not point fingers at people who are involved and doing everything they can 24/7. Development takes time and it's no use to start worldwide promotions without having a solid product which is released into the market.  These things will backfire on you because if the first impression is bad you have to double your marketing budget to convince people to have a second look.
DACZine.com - Receive all the latest DAC and BitShares community news straight to your inbox. Signup here or Submit news

Offline markzookerburg

• View Profile
Or maybe I was just frank enough to raise concerns unlike some others here who've been desperate to impress and gain positions within the board.

Offline onceuponatime

In case you'd like someone to help you with "press releases" and handling relations with journalists - Am glad to help.
Am not good in writing -but am good in handling relationships and if me or my associates can step in and help we'd be glad. My partner is a member of 2 major accelerators (one in london and one in Hong Kong) and I am well associated with one in India.  We'd be glad to help in whatever ways possible.

I feel a small round of PR round-up will have our value soaring , more early adapters.
I feel having more adapters would also be good as it can push us to faster bug fixes.

Am just disappointed I haven't seen anything major so far and with the value of BTC hitting a rock bottom (considering the rate at which its going) - I fear the trust people have in PTS could also diminish.

His personality is far too abrasive to contribute effectively in marketing in my opinion.

Offline bytemaster

Offline markzookerburg

• View Profile

Offline bytemaster

Its been 5 weeks since our launch?
I expect SOME action to be taken - please stop with the BS already.
I had clearly demanded action 3 weeks back and nothing was done
I by no means am disrespecting you -just voicing the opinion of people in general. We are seeing very little in terms of action and lots in terms of talk. Now that keyhotee launch is nearing I think its high time we started with promotions.

Also I pray to god you have a press release strategy for Keyhotee..

Keyhotee will be launched as an alpha test and will not be widely marketed until we have worked out all of the bugs that we are sure to find as part of alpha testing.  The general public release and media push will be made once we have achieved stable operation.   

A lot has happened in those 5 weeks including a major setback when our first Marketing Director resigned unexpectedly.   

We have Super3 revamping the website and cleaning up our public face and all of these things should come together in time for a public push for Keyhotee.