Author Topic: [OpenForDiscussion] Voting for a hardfork proposal  (Read 4353 times)

Tuck Fheman

Asking altcoin communities for $5,000 to get a pegged version of their asset would be difficult. I think hardfork is better.

I'd really like to see altcoins on Bitshares, but they need a market!
Even BitBTC isn't liquid enough, how will altcoins be different?

+5%

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
Is adding an MPA for a altcoin really the best way to do it?  It might be better to simply trade altcoins in a centralized way but where they can trade against the decentralised bitassets.  I.e. altcoin gateway + UIA.

Well, there is TRADE.BTC and TRADE.LTC already (https://blocktrades.us/). But I would prefer if we had an open source service (at least for the gateway portion, I don't care if the bridge isn't open source) where the altcoin reserves and UIA manager were protected by an m-of-15 multisig automatically run by some subset of the delegates.

Offline matt608

• View Profile
Is adding an MPA for a altcoin really the best way to do it?  It might be better to simply trade altcoins in a centralized way but where they can trade against the decentralised bitassets.  I.e. altcoin gateway + UIA. 

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
I know Ive asked this before, but whatever happened to that proposal of delegates being able to come to consensus on a description of what a market-pegged asset should be, and then it is created at that point? That seemed to be a good way to solve this.

Offline matt608

• View Profile

If a hardfork is needed to get an asset created either it shouldn't be created or 500k is too much. So if there is a hardfork it may be better to look at the fee structure than do one off additions.

+5%

Offline monsterer

Regarding how to do the voting:

We can create two delegates: one is a 'yes-on-bts-dex-hardfork' and one is a 'no-on-bts-dex-hardfork' delegate.

People vote for one or the other.

After a while, we can see how many votes each one has.  For example, if Yes ends up with 5% and no ends up with 2%, we would know that people bothered to vote with 7% of all shares, and yes won 5/7 or 71.4% of the vote. 

This will show us both the relative popularity of yes versus no as well as how much of the overall BTS stake voted.

Agreed. This is a good way to do it - as long as we have a statistically significant result, of course.
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline svk

Actually there used to be two alts (Litecoin and PTS).
They were hard-forked out (without any public discussion) and replaced by renamed GAS and DIESEL which to date have not attracted a single price feed and therefore never been traded.

Maybe it's time to rename them once more...

Yep, I've proposed that before too but noone seems to listen..
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline Markus

• View Profile
Actually there used to be two alts (Litecoin and PTS).
They were hard-forked out (without any public discussion) and replaced by renamed GAS and DIESEL which to date have not attracted a single price feed and therefore never been traded.

Maybe it's time to rename them once more...

Offline Riverhead

If a hardfork is needed to get an asset created either it shouldn't be created or 500k is too much. So if there is a hardfork it may be better to look at the fee structure than do one off additions.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Can someone list the dis-advantages to using a hard fork for this? After all, how was the original list of bitAssets created? Wasn't it just an open list on the forum that people added their suggestions to? I'm trying to remember, but I think that's how it happened......

How could it possibly hurt BitShares by hardforking a few altcoins into the list of mpas? There has to be some disadvantage I am not seeing.....can someone enlighten me?

Disadvantage of hard fork is that we would like to see the addition of more market pegged assets as a way to burn BTS, helping to make the DAC profitable over time.

Through the act of forcing someone to buy up 500k BTS and burn it to create the asset, BTS holders are rewarded.

Honestly, I would kindof like to see the 500k BTS need to be raised and burned to add assets.  After all, right no nobody out there is buying any BTS, like, at all,and the price just keeps going lower.  Having some buy pressure would be nice.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline CryptoPrometheus

• View Profile
Can someone list the dis-advantages to using a hard fork for this? After all, how was the original list of bitAssets created? Wasn't it just an open list on the forum that people added their suggestions to? I'm trying to remember, but I think that's how it happened......

How could it possibly hurt BitShares by hardforking a few altcoins into the list of mpas? There has to be some disadvantage I am not seeing.....can someone enlighten me?
"Power and law are not synonymous. In fact, they are often in opposition and irreconcilable."
- Cicero

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Regarding how to do the voting:

We can create two delegates: one is a 'yes-on-bts-dex-hardfork' and one is a 'no-on-bts-dex-hardfork' delegate.

People vote for one or the other.

After a while, we can see how many votes each one has.  For example, if Yes ends up with 5% and no ends up with 2%, we would know that people bothered to vote with 7% of all shares, and yes won 5/7 or 71.4% of the vote. 

This will show us both the relative popularity of yes versus no as well as how much of the overall BTS stake voted.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Good point .. but that's up to the individual altcoin community .. It doesn't make sense for us to do all the trading .. although I would love to do it .. I just don't have the funds to market make any market ...

Offline roadscape

Asking altcoin communities for $5,000 to get a pegged version of their asset would be difficult. I think hardfork is better.

http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
I'd rather see an altcoin community run a funding to get listed on bitshares exchange.

would guarantee a motivated userbase from their side.