Author Topic: Critique of 0.6.2  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Thom

My experience with the 0.6.2 version of the cli client is that it isn't as reliable or robust as the 0.6.1 version.

I discovered the 0.6.2 version crashed after only 2 days of operation. When I tried to restart it I waited for it to resync twice, once for 12 hours and another for 22 hrs, both of which failed to resync & catch up even tho the newest transaction was only 8 days old. This behavior occurred on a vps with 1GB of RAM and 6GB of swap. All 6GB of swap was gradually consumed before the blockchain could be synced. We upgraded the vps to 2GB of RAM, same swap config. After 14 hrs no progress was made, in fact synchronization fell behind by an additional day.

However, the 0.6.1 version on the 2GB vps system was able to resync the blockchain, catching up the 9 day deficit in only 5 hrs and consuming only 12MB (not GB) of swap.

On the linux GUI client I've noticed shutting the software down is problematic, hanging and unresponsive so that kill -9 is required to terminate the software and the GUI window. This behavior was observed on a xubuntu 14.04 system with a quad core CPU, 4GB of RAM and 16GB swap partition, on both 0.6.1 and 0.6.2 GUI client versions. On occasion quitting the client resulted in a missing chain/index folder, leaving only the raw folder.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline roselee

• View Profile
just as a feedback
i have the same issue
i am not every day checking my wallets
so it takes up to one day to sync 18 days
and i have to restart it or it wont finish syncing
but i guess the devs will make it faster with time
its still sort of alfa what we use here

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
I'm surprised the forum doesn't have place that is dedicated to feedback and issues related to the clients, so I'll post here.

Returning to the client having not used it for a while, I notice that it is very slow and rather unresponsive. Such software that does occupy itself 100% with what it's doing, rather than watching for user's interaction, can be frustrating. I don't know, enough of the limits of programming, whether the client can be forced to always be available to the user, in order that quitting the client is not badly delayed.. even a simple please wait while the client catches up would be good indication that it's not stuck.

Because it was being so slow initialized and reindexing, I left it to continue and returned to find that the client had stopped itself - though not obviously crashed. So, restarting then was fine but it's taking much longer that expected to catch up what is only 21days.. perhaps it's necessarily validating what's received but I wonder that having options to jump onto trusted seeds might provide faster catchup? I wonder also that such delay will only get worse and then how Bitcoin and others manage that issue.

I noticed that I was only connected to 2 peers, so restarted it again and now have 11 peers but still it's not any faster.

It's all good otherwise  8)

Is there a roadmap for what 0.7; 0.8; 0.9 will include?

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=14545.0

This thread is for feed back in 0.6.2
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline davidpbrown

I'm surprised the forum doesn't have place that is dedicated to feedback and issues related to the clients, so I'll post here.

Returning to the client having not used it for a while, I notice that it is very slow and rather unresponsive. Such software that does occupy itself 100% with what it's doing, rather than watching for user's interaction, can be frustrating. I don't know, enough of the limits of programming, whether the client can be forced to always be available to the user, in order that quitting the client is not badly delayed.. even a simple please wait while the client catches up would be good indication that it's not stuck.

Because it was being so slow initialized and reindexing, I left it to continue and returned to find that the client had stopped itself - though not obviously crashed. So, restarting then was fine but it's taking much longer that expected to catch up what is only 21days.. perhaps it's necessarily validating what's received but I wonder that having options to jump onto trusted seeds might provide faster catchup? I wonder also that such delay will only get worse and then how Bitcoin and others manage that issue.

I noticed that I was only connected to 2 peers, so restarted it again and now have 11 peers but still it's not any faster.

It's all good otherwise  8)

Is there a roadmap for what 0.7; 0.8; 0.9 will include?
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc