Author Topic: Bitshare Valuation  (Read 2809 times)

Offline oco101

• View Profile
Completely agree with you luckybit, this is brilliant idea I could not see any reason not to implemented.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
One suggestion for how to determine the cap on the largest denomination unit, what they should do is determine the current size of the community of people interested in Bitshares and based on the level of interest expressed determine the cap.

Mastercoin did it perfectly. The people who sent to the exodus address got 100 MSC for every Bitcoin. The level of interest determined the cap on the highest demonation. This rewarded the early adopters with the significant amounts of the highest denomination of the currency, effectively rewarding the faithful and early investors. I think that Bitshares should do something similar because now Mastercoin gets all the good press when people see the price of MSC is slowly reaching parity with Bitcoin.

Let the level of crowd funding determine how many total Bitshares get created. People who aren't part of the crowd funding process aren't taking the risk. The risk is that all of this could be illegal, or that there could be some sort of future legal consequence. All of us here are willing to take those risks and should be rewarded for that.

People who come onto Bitshares in 2015 when the laws are more clear and the risk is significantly lower should not receive the same reward in my opinion. If you spent $1000-10,000 on Bitshares and the government outlaws it, or you find out that its going to be taxed or whatever, you have to know that the investment rewarded you enough that you can hire a good lawyer and go through whatever process is necessary to set precedents and protect the future adopters. The early adopters are willing to be sacrificed if it all fails.

I think we have 2 million Protoshares and that is it. That represents the early adopters. I think I've been one of the most generous in my ideas, saying 2 million for PTS, 2 million for Angelshares and 2 million for late comers who want to work for it. Some people are saying to not give the 2 million extra and just have 4 million and I would be happy with that if I were thinking only about the immediate future. If there were 100 million or 1 billion Bitshares then in my opinion it risks completely killing the project through dilution. Remember these are supposed to be like shares, which means people buy them in hopes that the value will be going up and if there is a billion of them then how is value supposed to go up without scarcity? Supply and demand my friend.

Scarcity attracts investors and that is what Angelshares is trying to attract. The largest denomination of Bitshares must be scarce, in my opinion more scarce than Bitcoin so that people can trade their Bitcoins into it as a store of value, but exploit the divisibility in the client and on websites to get people to actually use their Bitshares by communicating in the lowest unit.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 12:50:26 am by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
After following the crypto-currency development for the past month, I find it important to surmise that bitshares will be more valuable if they can achieve the maximum value threshold (MVT).  What is the MVT?  The MVT is when a currency aligns itself with human psychology, in which humans feel comfortable with the number value associated iwth their "coin" or "dollar".  Bitcoin, for instance, has a terrible MVT, where people don't feel comfortable using one bitcoin, as they feel to valuable and cumbersome.  Look also for instance at Dogecoin and Next which are valued in pennies on the US dollar becuase there are billions rather than millions of coins.

Dogecoin has become the "tipping" currency because it feels so easy to give out freely.  This is a good thing.  The more at ease people feel about using their currency the better.  Dogecoin may just be a copycat currency, but if people feel it has more utility than bitcoin (even for inexplicable psychological reasons), then they will be more likely to use it, buy it, etc.  This is good for Dogecoin in the longrun (..although I'm sure it will be beaten out by second generations crypto-currencies..) .

I hope 3I will take these psychological phenomenons and MVT into account when determining the total number of bitshares.

I addressed this issue in one of my earlier posts. I said that Bitshares because it is so divisible the maximum number should be nice and low, 4-6 million. Then you simply price it in it's lowest currency unit on exchanges and in the client.

The mistake Bitcoin exchanges and charts make is they display the largest denomination which is the Bitcoin vs Dollar instead of the lowest denomination which is Satoshi vs Dollar.

One Bitcoin is 100,000,000 satoshi. If you have 10 Bitcoins you have more satoshi units than the entire NxT currency. If you have have 100 Bitcoins then you have more satoshi units than the entire Dogecoin currency.

You do not have to dilute or inflate the currency to take advantage of psychology. All you have to do is stop discussing it in its largest denominations and discuss it at the absolute smallest denomination from the start so that everyone feels rich.

My advice to you is start discussing Bitcoin at the satoshi level and encourage others to do the same. When Bitshares come out I think we should start the price mechanism at the lowest denomination. Now you'll have 100,000,000 currency units and can use that for your micro transactions, tipping, or whatever.

But it is in my opinion that the largest dominations are supposed to be scarce in any currency. You don't know a lot of billionaires do you? Having 1 Bitshare should be like having a million dollars and having 100 should be like 100 million dollars because that is the highest denomination in the currency.  Just like the penny probably doesn't compare to the highest denomination either and it would make no sense for Bitshares or Bitcoin to price itself according to the limited divisibility of the dollar. The weakness of the dollar should be the strength of Bitcoin or Bitshares and the main weakness of the dollar is that it isn't a store of value, it does not maintain buying power because it's too inflationary, it cannot do microtransactions below a penny, it's not digital, and let's face it if I give you a million pennies do you feel rich and start shopping more?

If that is the case we should ban the $1000 and $100 bill and start dealing in pennies. The way to do this is just to set the Bitshares client by default to list in the lowest currency units so that when everyone opens their client they feel like they are rich even though in the beginning it costs 100,000,000 currency units to buy a pizza, a year later it will cost 100,000.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 12:39:18 am by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

bitbro

After following the crypto-currency development for the past month, I find it important to surmise that bitshares will be more valuable if they can achieve the maximum value threshold (MVT).  What is the MVT?  The MVT is when a currency aligns itself with human psychology, in which humans feel comfortable with the number value associated iwth their "coin" or "dollar".  Bitcoin, for instance, has a terrible MVT, where people don't feel comfortable using one bitcoin, as they feel to valuable and cumbersome.  Look also for instance at Dogecoin and Next which are valued in pennies on the US dollar becuase there are billions rather than millions of coins.

Dogecoin has become the "tipping" currency because it feels so easy to give out freely.  This is a good thing.  The more at ease people feel about using their currency the better.  Dogecoin may just be a copycat currency, but if people feel it has more utility than bitcoin (even for inexplicable psychological reasons), then they will be more likely to use it, buy it, etc.  This is good for Dogecoin in the longrun (..although I'm sure it will be beaten out by second generations crypto-currencies..) .

I hope 3I will take these psychological phenomenons and MVT into account when determining the total number of bitshares.