Author Topic: My subjective opinion that all government debt is immoral, and how to reset  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
This would certainly be a move in the right direction.  Sad that most consider others to be debtors from birth.

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit
This is purely a post of personal interest (thus in Random Discussion), prompted by government debt debates in Europe.

I've come to the view that is is not moral for a government to ever create debts upon future generations without their consent. Even to the extent that any infrastructure spend is directed for future rather than current generations, it is best considered a gift without obligation. There is no way to anticipate any value these future generations will place upon this gift. Thus I have come to the view that all governments should spend solely from revenue and no more.

In principle at least, I think that any governments should cease accumulating existing debt, and repayment of those debts should fall upon the segment of society that was of voting age when those debts were accumulated. Though this does not allow for the fact that many in society may have been dissenters (another moral question), at least the debt falls upon the correct generations mostly responsible. Any excess debt over what a government can reasonably shoulder through such selective taxation of the "responsible" generations should be written off as null and void. 

Further, as no innocent child can be held responsible for the sins of the father, war reparations (state obligations to other states) cannot fall on any generation beyond those involved in war crimes.

In every case however, those free of these burdens may volunteer to make amends for past grievances for the future betterment of society.

These are just some basic thoughts on the matter. What do others think?