Author Topic: Argentina Team Updates  (Read 10487 times)

Offline cylonmaker2053

• Saving the world one block at a time
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cylonmaker2053
We have scheduled a new meetup at the Buenos Aires Bitcoin Center. We are going to do a mini open space, select the hottest topics together and talk about them.

http://www.meetup.com/es-ES/BitSharesBA/events/229480611/

Nice I will try to be there so we can talk about BitArs and building a bridge to buy BitUSD and BitGold (maybe we can help bring some liquidity in this market)

Abrazo!

Great to hear, guys! Like i said earlier, i think going straight to bitUSD use for you guys makes the most sense. you can leverage the relatively high volume, market makers focusing on that currency pair, and take advantage of the natural propensity for Argentinians to use USD. in the end, it'd be better for your customers/users to migrate to something more stable than ARS.

Anyway, best of luck and I'll have to try to meet up with you guys when I'm in BA next Spring!

Offline hcf27

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hcf27
We have scheduled a new meetup at the Buenos Aires Bitcoin Center. We are going to do a mini open space, select the hottest topics together and talk about them.

Nice I will try to be there so we can talk about BitArs and building a bridge to buy BitUSD and BitGold (maybe we can help bring some liquidity in this market)

Abrazo!

Offline fran2k

• View Profile
  • BitShares: fran2k

Witness: rmglab /// Buenos Aires BTS Meetup http://www.meetup.com/es-ES/BitSharesBA/ /// [old BTS 1.0 chain] Delegate bitshares-argentina (ex argentina-marketing-matt608) Thread https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,15781.0.html

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
What percentage of merchants accept USD in Argentina? If non-trivial, then maybe bitUSD would be a better payment method than bitARS. that way you can piggyback on, and contribute to, the liquidity of the dominant smartcoin at the moment. another benefit to any Argentinian using it is that it wouldn't have the same ARS-USD depreciation you guys are plagued with down there. accumulating bitUSD would also be much more useful if/when we get some bitUSD-USD gateways up here for you to clear back into plain old USD (or BTS, BTC, gold, bitGOLD, or whatever else people may want).

I dont think is legal to accept USD or any other currency in Argentina as a payment option, I agree that USD is way more stable and BitArs wouldnt really work for "saving" money. However we are thinking of possible using BitArs in a different way, more like an online decentralized payment solution, sort of like a reliable PayPal (Which we only have with limited access). We may even have some cooperation with the Bitcoin Embassy to act as a bridge!

we are going to it some thought and put out a statment soon,

Really appreciate your comments!

Regards

Cool, best of luck! I'd be very interested to hear how things work out, which route you decide to go. I do financial research for a living, so any cool developments that come with some data would be a bonus  :)

Offline hcf27

• View Profile
What percentage of merchants accept USD in Argentina? If non-trivial, then maybe bitUSD would be a better payment method than bitARS. that way you can piggyback on, and contribute to, the liquidity of the dominant smartcoin at the moment. another benefit to any Argentinian using it is that it wouldn't have the same ARS-USD depreciation you guys are plagued with down there. accumulating bitUSD would also be much more useful if/when we get some bitUSD-USD gateways up here for you to clear back into plain old USD (or BTS, BTC, gold, bitGOLD, or whatever else people may want).

I dont think is legal to accept USD or any other currency in Argentina as a payment option, I agree that USD is way more stable and BitArs wouldnt really work for "saving" money. However we are thinking of possible using BitArs in a different way, more like an online decentralized payment solution, sort of like a reliable PayPal (Which we only have with limited access). We may even have some cooperation with the Bitcoin Embassy to act as a bridge!

we are going to give it some thought and put out a statment soon,

Really appreciate your comments!

Regards
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 03:51:34 pm by hcf27 »

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile

Offline hcf27

• View Profile
Hello,

I found this old thread and I have also been looking for Bitshare supportes in Argentina.

I have been contemplating the idea of creating a smartcoin for Argentinians Peso, is this something you guys have evaluated yet?

I am willing to support and help you guys in whatever way possible.

Just drop me a PM if you think I can help in any way..

it's great you're rallying support from other Argentinians, but--and this is just my American perspective--wouldn't it be useful for Argentinians to park funds in bitUSD instead of a bitARS? we're having a tough time creating enough liquidity with bitUSD, so i would think the problem would be worse for a bitARS.

what would be very useful for your local market would be a gateway from ARS to BTS, then people could buy whatever other BTS-synthesized assets, like bitUSD, bitGOLD, etc.

Yes, you are right the liquidity would be a problem, specially for a coin that has a tendency of constantly depreciating....

This is why I think the utility of having bitArs would be to allow argentinians to trade BTS assets with their local currency, a gateway for them to obtain bitArs with pesos would be needed for this to happen.

I think argentinians would trade a lot more if they knew about the possibility of doing it in a decentralized exchange, currently we are the number 1 country in latin america using Bitcoin however there is not 1 big exchange in Argentina, I think this is because trust issues (hell we dont even trust goverment, nevermind an exchange). Most of the trades are being carried out trough LocalBitcoins, or brookers who are contacted via Facebook.

So, in conclusion, yes you are right, it would be really hard to provide liquidity for BitArs and this smartcoin will probably lose value over time, like the real argentain peso does, but if we can find real use for it and get people to use the exchange then it would be worth it.

P.S: I am already in very preliminar talks with some of Argentina´s Bitshares Team to "put our money where our mouth is" and provide some initial liquidity by shorting some of our BTS and generate the initial "reserve" of BitArs

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
Hello,

I found this old thread and I have also been looking for Bitshare supportes in Argentina.

I have been contemplating the idea of creating a smartcoin for Argentinians Peso, is this something you guys have evaluated yet?

it's great you're rallying support from other Argentinians, but--and this is just my American perspective--wouldn't it be useful for Argentinians to park funds in bitUSD instead of a bitARS? we're having a tough time creating enough liquidity with bitUSD, so i would think the problem would be worse for a bitARS.

what would be very useful for your local market would be a gateway from ARS to BTS, then people could buy whatever other BTS-synthesized assets, like bitUSD, bitGOLD, etc.

Offline hcf27

• View Profile
Hello,

Offline fran2k

• View Profile
New Bitshares 2.0 talk and giveaway coming at the monthly Buenos Aires July Bitcoin meetup, more details in the event thread.
Witness: rmglab /// Buenos Aires BTS Meetup http://www.meetup.com/es-ES/BitSharesBA/ /// [old BTS 1.0 chain] Delegate bitshares-argentina (ex argentina-marketing-matt608) Thread https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,15781.0.html

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
We are planning our first exclusive Bitshares Meetup to be in one week at the Buenos Aires Bitcoin Space. We halted our BitUSD paper wallets giveaways as ElMato & Dargon LimeWallet (ex Bitshares Wallet) is currently not working but we will encourage participants to bring their laptops so they could install the desktop wallet and register an user.

Just to add to @rnglab updates. Yesterday Bitshares meetup went great. See more details at the meetup thread. Buenos Aires has the biggest Bitshares meetup group! :D How is this community still so small?!

+5% +5% +5%

Offline fran2k

• View Profile
We are planning our first exclusive Bitshares Meetup to be in one week at the Buenos Aires Bitcoin Space. We halted our BitUSD paper wallets giveaways as ElMato & Dargon LimeWallet (ex Bitshares Wallet) is currently not working but we will encourage participants to bring their laptops so they could install the desktop wallet and register an user.

Just to add to @rnglab updates. Yesterday Bitshares meetup went great. See more details at the meetup thread. Buenos Aires has the biggest Bitshares meetup group! :D How is this community still so small?!

Offline rnglab

• View Profile
  • BitShares: rnglab
Who controls this argentina-marketing-matt608 delegate?
I do until they get their own delegate elected or setup to take this one over. The funds are spooling up with a balance currently of around 200k BTS.
Most funds are being saved, we will post our full accounting asap.

Here is a simple accounting spreadsheet. We have 156,199 BTS and 1,038 bitUSD at fran2k's account (moving BitUSD to BTS right now ;)), plus another 202,574 BTS that Riverhead is holding as he kindly manages the argentina-marketing.matt608 delegate.

We've been looking forward for protocol update to make the right moves. That includes delaying the new delegate registration, and doing just small but strategic diffusion while saving most funds for the big launch that's almost here.

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
You can make a lot of money with the referral program with such a business, see https://bitshares.org/technology/referral-rewards-program/

You may have to shares the referral rewards with the one you programmed the wallet if you don't have your own. You maybe could also use the whitelabel wallet the core devs are preparing...

Now this is really interesting; I need to learn a lot more and think about how this could be leveraged by fielding sales teams and incentivizing money changers to use bitUSD.

Does anyone who has participated in this program have any feedback they can provide? Are all fees automatically dispensed in BTS? Any issues?

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
They are working on the "Lime" Wallet.  I'm guessing it will be released after 2.0 is released... along with Moonstone

Cool, Lime wallet could be the type of solution I need. Def need to look into it more...thx!