Author Topic: What is an endogenous price feed and how would it work?  (Read 5291 times)

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit
I'm thinking that Bitshares will create an hedging BOT to correct the price.
This hedging BOT is an investment offer that earn interest.
I think its the action that is important, not the agent. Do you see how the hedging bot might correct the price in the scenario above?

Offline joele

• View Profile
I'm thinking that Bitshares will create an hedging BOT to correct the price.
This hedging BOT is an investment offer that earn interest.

Offline starspirit

• View Profile
Clarify this bit? Which price of BTS (external?) and affected how?

Say BTS on BTS/bitUSD is trading at a discount (compared to bitUSD) on the internal exchange compared to the price of BTS in BTS/USD on an external exchange. Arbitrage means that there is a profit opportunity to buy up the BTS from the internal exchange and sell them on the external exchange, thus affecting the price and therefore the feed price.
OK, but I think its important to be specific here. That's not quite an arbitrage because you've started in one security (bitUSD) and ended up in a different security (real USD), so you need to take account of their relative pricing before you assume a profit. In principle, you then still need to switch back to bitUSD (where you started) at the market price to complete the cycle, and when you do that I don't see where the arbitrage profit is. Let's take a discount scenario...

Let's suppose the market consensus is that a bitUSD is worth less than a real USD, maybe 0.90 USD. On the internal exchange, a bitUSD will exchange for $0.90 of BTS (measured in real dollars). And on the external exchange, a bitUSD will also exchange for $0.90 of BTS or $0.90 real USD. Because they trade the same level inside and outside there is no arbitrage, is there?

Even if traders inside the exchange believed unrelentingly in the parity of the bitUSD, and exchange it internally for $1.00 of BTS, the arbitrage is to buy bitUSD outside and sell it inside, a behaviour that will cause the bitUSD prices inside and outside to converge somewhere between $0.90 and $1.00 of a USD, which is still a discount. And I'm not sure how this has an impact on the external price of BTS at all.

Are we on the same page, or am I on a tangent?

Offline monsterer

Say BTS on BTS/bitUSD is trading at a discount (compared to bitUSD) on the internal exchange compared to the price of BTS in BTS/USD on an external exchange. Arbitrage means that there is a profit opportunity to buy up the BTS from the internal exchange and sell them on the external exchange, thus affecting the price and therefore the feed price.
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline starspirit

• View Profile
I look at it like this:

e.g. market BTS/bitUSD
feed price is for bitUSD is BTS per USD

*) You cannot trade actual USD on the internal exchange, so we have to look for an external exchange trading USD (this might be via BTC, of course) for that BTS per USD price
*) The internal exchange then receives this price for bitUSD (from the feed) and we can then trade BTS/bitUSD

Got it so far.

*) However, due to arbitrage the price of BTS will be affected by trading on the internal exchange

Offline monsterer

I look at it like this:

e.g. market BTS/bitUSD
feed price is for bitUSD is BTS per USD

*) You cannot trade actual USD on the internal exchange, so we have to look for an external exchange trading USD (this might be via BTC, of course) for that BTS per USD price
*) The internal exchange then receives this price for bitUSD (from the feed) and we can then trade BTS/bitUSD
*) However, due to arbitrage the price of BTS will be affected by trading on the internal exchange
*) This means it might be possible for the price of BTS/bitUSD to be largely controlled by trading on the internal exchange as the liquidity increases

On the limit, this makes the feed price endogenous.
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline starspirit

• View Profile
I would like to understand this concept better that I've seen referred to numerous times, because I'm just not getting what is meant by it. Maybe somebody can help make this concept click into place for me?

My starting point is that the holder of a bitAsset requires some assurance that its value (measured against external assets) will track the value of the real asset. Their key concern is that when they sell the bitAsset, an asset within the system, they receive enough funds that they could buy the real asset outside the system, should they wish to.

So this requires an exchange price of at least one asset inside the system to at least one asset outside the system, in order to make this calculation. This is what I understand as an external or exogenous price feed.

It's been said by many that when liquidity is significant inside the system, that we can move toward an endogenous price feed.

When people refer to an endogenous price feed, being "within the market", what exactly is meant by this? Does this involve a comparison of only the values of tokens that all reside inside the system? If so, I can't see how this provides any information about how any internal token is to be valued outside the system.

Am I understanding the concept correctly?

Thanks.