Author Topic: Reputation System  (Read 2493 times)

Tuck Fheman

I think they were only "against" in the GUI display, not on the blockchain.

excellent, thanks!

Update : confirmed, GUI only.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 12:15:24 am by Tuck Fheman »

Offline svk

I fixed that already, think it made it into the latest GUI update:
https://github.com/BitShares/web_wallet/issues/636

Oh sweet! So let me ask you this, are the existing "votes" corrected automatically with this update?  Or do they remain "against" even though we voted "for"?

I think they were only "against" in the GUI display, not on the blockchain.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
I dont think bitshares needs a marketplace at this point thus no need for rep system.

Marketplace was just a random example of rep usage. Like I said, there are plenty in development so we dont need one. But a rep system can open the doors to a lot of things, just like you mentioned. Lending, insurance, escrow (if a decentralized solution isn't achievable), etc.

but jesus is right, once we have the new delegate/worker system sorted out, I guess this and a lot of other possible feature implementations will be much easier. Looking forward to it!

The whole point of smart contracts are to create trustless applications.. if its centralized then it wouldnt be best use of a smart contract. The main use of rep is to use for things that are not trustless like buying or selling things that require trust but it crosses physical domain. Thus it should be derived from trustless protocols like escrow.
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
I dont think bitshares needs a marketplace at this point thus no need for rep system.

Marketplace was just a random example of rep usage. Like I said, there are plenty in development so we dont need one. But a rep system can open the doors to a lot of things, just like you mentioned. Lending, insurance, escrow (if a decentralized solution isn't achievable), etc.

but jesus is right, once we have the new delegate/worker system sorted out, I guess this and a lot of other possible feature implementations will be much easier. Looking forward to it!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 06:12:50 pm by Akado »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Tuck Fheman

Oh sweet! So let me ask you this, are the existing "votes" corrected automatically with this update?  Or do they remain "against" even though we voted "for"?

Offline davidpbrown

Well done OP! I don't know, if I subliminally read the title previously but I was just caming to post the same idea.

Reputation to support delegates would be so much easier to work with than voting as it stands. There are many hear that I'd like an option to have + 1% .. I think I suggested that a while back but hadn't thought to use it for delegates.

Perhaps something integrated with the forum then.. every user can get a reputation - on the back of posts but also on the back of evidence of contribution by simply posting that whenever is useful to them. Then perhaps mods and others can post links into posts for others to support reputation of anyone. So, for example, fuzzy could post a thread titled "acknowledge the devs" and full of his insight and we then all click those dev's links to bump their reputation and they see their reputation rise without having to post themselves.

Reputation in forum has potential to be more engaging and more direct. Those who are delegates can then take advantage of their reputation to support themselves and others; those who are not, might use their reputation to vote for delegates, perhaps that in conjunction with BTS holding.

If those with reputation have more vote, then we might see informed voting rather than just the biggest wallets dominating.

All that said, I haven't thought about the practical aspect of integrating such reputation into voting for delegates workers.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 05:48:53 pm by davidpbrown »
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
I'd like to see a reputation system. But I think it could be developed as a third party concept, alongside BitShares rather than coming from within. The thing with a reputation system is that it only becomes really useful once there's a large volume of users and transactions. Until then, it would be too easy to abuse. I think that when BitShares gets to the size of volume and users that would be needed to run this sort of thing, we will see all sorts of third party services springing up to add bells & whistles to the core user experience.

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
I dont think bitshares needs a marketplace at this point thus no need for rep system. There are other platforms for that like syscoin which does it on chain. Infact the idea is that people would be able to use bitshares plugins on these marketplace frontends so thtat is where the power lies.. being able to pay in usd on the blockchain and not in the marketplace code which is best done on another dedicated chain.

A rep system should be a derived attribute to avoid people screwing around with it. Ie: a buyer
who completed the escrow transaction without requesting a timeout and escrow
doesnt timeout more than 5% of his transactions is deemed trustworthy.. rep is derived from results of
escrow transactions used in marketplace.

Lending or insurance can happen once smart contracts are done and rep can be derived similarily by third parties.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 04:00:39 pm by jsidhu »
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
I absolutely think this is an essential ingredient to BitShares longer term success as an open platform for services. However, I think reputation systems often need to be specific to the service, and need to develop along side them, although there may be some common shared elements. So I don't think we should try to be too prescriptive on building a single reputation profile, but provide a template that can be utilised by service builders that want to employ a reputation tool.

this.

+5%

Offline svk

I think this is needed.

I thought that's what the burn message on someone's wall was supposed to be?  It doesn't work properly though, if you vote FOR it will vote AGAINST every single time.

Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

Create something and then use an API to plug it into BitShares.. voila.. rep system.

I had a little fun making the Delegate Tip a while back that was something like this.. with the idea of those with good reputation becoming the holders of Delegate TIP because it was given to them by the voters out of appreciation.

Perhaps this can be done with this too?

I think a 3rd party app might be more efficient to at least get it started.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Tuck Fheman

I think this is needed.

I thought that's what the burn message on someone's wall was supposed to be?  It doesn't work properly though, if you vote FOR it will vote AGAINST every single time.

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit
I absolutely think this is an essential ingredient to BitShares longer term success as an open platform for services. However, I think reputation systems often need to be specific to the service, and need to develop along side them, although there may be some common shared elements. So I don't think we should try to be too prescriptive on building a single reputation profile, but provide a template that can be utilised by service builders that want to employ a reputation tool.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
marketplace with a notary system like https://blog.openbazaar.org/notarys-guide-to-openbazaar-beta-0-4/ - that would be awesome.

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
I think this is needed. It can open many doors for a variety of other things we can do with BitShares, namely some kind of marketplace even though we already have multiple ones around so no need to reinvent the wheel, lending or insurance?

So first, do you think this is needed for BitShares?
If yes, do you think this should be a priority or not? Don't forget the issues we need to solve first in the upcoming releases.

Second, what kind of reputation system would be better?

A. 1 rep point per user? People could easily abuse this to vote others down
B. 1 rep point per BTS? Could balance things out. Just like how delegates are voted in. A mad whale could destroy someone's reputation, even though that person is legit. Or do you think long term the community would balance things out? What about Voting Apathy? If someone builds up rep and performs an exit scam, the community could be too slow to react and he could scam multiple people while he isn't voted down?
C. 1 rep point per user with more than X BTS on their account. Kind of solves both of the problems above, however, not completely the first one I guess, it's just a matter of distributing your BTS through multiple accounts.

Should rep points one user can give be proportional to the reputation points he has? For example, a user with 100 reputation points would be more influentional than a user with 50 rep points. Would this be fair, could this be abused? What do you think?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads