Author Topic: Concerns over 1 year vesting period and a POSSIBLE SOLUTION  (Read 5478 times)

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
By making the referal fees liquid you undo the attack defense.

which attack vector do the vesting balance prefent? I don't get it yet.

Offline bitmarket

• View Profile
    • BitShares TV
By making the referal fees liquid you undo the attack defense.
Host of BitShares.TV and Author of BitShares 101

Offline bytemaster

Only fees above a certain threshold defined by consensus must vest.   This means that in practice only the following fees require vesting:

1. Premium Name Registration
2. Lifetime and Annual Memberships
3. Large Data Transactions
4. Symbol Name Registration

Other fees (transfers, market orders, etc) will be below the threshold and thus vest immediately.

but those are the ones with the highest value

And the ones that are most at risk for being abused.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

Great minds think alike :)

I had described just this last night to CryptoPromethius

This should be seriously done.

+5%
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav

Only fees above a certain threshold defined by consensus must vest.   This means that in practice only the following fees require vesting:

Other fees (transfers, market orders, etc) will be below the threshold and thus vest immediately.

but those are the ones with the highest value

Offline theoretical

BTS- theoretical / PTS- PZxpdC8RqWsdU3pVJeobZY7JFKVPfNpy5z / BTC- 1NfGejohzoVGffAD1CnCRgo9vApjCU2viY / the delegate formerly known as drltc / Nothing said on these forums is intended to be legally binding / All opinions are my own unless otherwise noted / Take action due to my posts at your own risk

Offline topcandle

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Permie

• BitShares is the mycelium of the financial-earth
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: krimduss
The 1 Year vesting period for referral fees strikes me as something that could be a dealbreaker for a lot of inquiring companies.  Its a very long time length to prove a business model that might not even work.  And for that one year, its wasted savings that is just sitting , while it could be reinvested elsewhere or put to work.  Most importantly, this long vesting period will hurt smaller, startup type firms who would want fees as quickly as possible to reinvest into their business.

Now I understand the need for the investing period to prevent attacks.  I'm just not convinced it will work out as expected because of this one-year vesting period.  Now for the solution:

Its certainly possible for these referral members to set up a UIA that will source money from the public.  They could offer at a 95% reduction.  So a normal user could pay 95 BTS and within one year get 100 BTS out of the referral member's pool.  Of course, the referral member would never offer more UIA than he has in his fee reserves.  Effectively it will function as a bond.

The one thing I think the dev team could do better to assist the transaction, is make that special reserve acct linked to the UIA.  So at the end of the vesting period, the vested BTS will go directly to the purchaser and not the referral member.  This would alleviate cpty concerns and bring more trust into the system as a whole.  Once then this referral system will really have one to boot! 

Any thoughts?

Perhaps there could be "marketing accounts" that include additional set up of a UIA representing the referral income vesting account. These UIAs are tied directly to the referral funds and when released they pay out proportionally to all UIA holders. Of course the "marketing account" could hold 100% of the UIA to be paid out as normal, but they can sell any portion as a kind of bond.
I think the UIA should be directly linked to the funds and not based on trust of the marketer.
JonnyBitcoin votes for liquidity and simplicity. Make him your proxy?
BTSDEX.COM

Offline profitofthegods

• View Profile
I would also like to see something like this, with the flexible value as favdesu says, if it is at all possible.

Offline topcandle

The 1 Year vesting period for referral fees strikes me as something that could be a dealbreaker for a lot of inquiring companies.  Its a very long time length to prove a business model that might not even work.  And for that one year, its wasted savings that is just sitting , while it could be reinvested elsewhere or put to work.  Most importantly, this long vesting period will hurt smaller, startup type firms who would want fees as quickly as possible to reinvest into their business.

Now I understand the need for the investing period to prevent attacks.  I'm just not convinced it will work out as expected because of this one-year vesting period.  Now for the solution:

Its certainly possible for these referral members to set up a UIA that will source money from the public.  They could offer at a 95% reduction.  So a normal user could pay 95 BTS and within one year get 100 BTS out of the referral member's pool.  Of course, the referral member would never offer more UIA than he has in his fee reserves.  Effectively it will function as a bond.

The one thing I think the dev team could do better to assist the transaction, is make that special reserve acct linked to the UIA.  So at the end of the vesting period, the vested BTS will go directly to the purchaser and not the referral member.  This would alleviate cpty concerns and bring more trust into the system as a whole.  Once then this referral system will really have one to boot! 

Any thoughts?

+5% if that's possible. but no need to peg it, let people choose the value of their vest. could make a full market and a very secure investment.

Agreed.  my main point was that the deposits to the investors account should be automatic and direct. 
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav

Any thoughts?

+5% if that's possible. but no need to peg it, let people choose the value of their vest. could make a full market and a very secure investment.

Offline topcandle

Any thoughts?