Author Topic: Why have bitAssets been renamed to SmartCoins in 2.0?!  (Read 9813 times)

Offline JoeyD

Your point is fine if it were made at bitshares inception. To rename the entire brand now would be another huge PR nightmare, would totally mess up all the search traffic and further confuse and muddy the perception of the product.

I'd agree with you were it not that "the product" has changed so much and is completely changing again. Or would you say that Btsx -> bts -> bts2 is not confusing when they are supposed to be different beasts all together with hardly any relation other than a chronological one. Besides that still leaves the smartcoin brand which is totally confusing seeing how many projects out there are already using the term.

Also the bitshares brand is not that strong or ubiquitous even in our small corner of the internet.

Offline monsterer

To make my point as clear as I can: bit and coin have now become background noise instead of clear branding and only add to confusion and makes marketing or even just identifying itself that much more impossible.

Your point is fine if it were made at bitshares inception. To rename the entire brand now would be another huge PR nightmare, would totally mess up all the search traffic and further confuse and muddy the perception of the product.
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline JoeyD

NO No bit and no coin, ever. Both of them are the "e-" from the dotcom bubble, can anybody still name an e-blah company? QED, ergo, alpha omega: no bit and no coin, PERIOD.

At the risk of stating the obvious, I suggest you check the name of this blockchain, this forum, etc etc.

And how does that refute my point in any way? Don't take this the wrong way monsterer as the next part is not directed personally at you (I suspect a lack of caffeine to be the culprit in your case), but I seem to have to explain this point more than once.

Outside forum veterans I'm not very successful trying to differentiate this chain from all the other blockchains to new people. Actually in most of the best case scenarios people just confuse it with a project part of bitcoin. Hell I've seen notable people in this forums use the term dpos instead of bitshares when communicating in other communities.

I was too late on this forum to take part in the discussion on deciding the name bitshares. Although I might still not have been able to make my point clear as it seems people still fail to understand how big of a marketing faux-pas the "bit-" and "coin" terms represent.

To make my point as clear as I can: bit and coin have now become background noise instead of clear branding and only add to confusion and makes marketing or even just identifying itself that much more impossible.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 08:24:34 am by JoeyD »

Offline monsterer

NO No bit and no coin, ever. Both of them are the "e-" from the dotcom bubble, can anybody still name an e-blah company? QED, ergo, alpha omega: no bit and no coin, PERIOD.

At the risk of stating the obvious, I suggest you check the name of this blockchain, this forum, etc etc.
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Tuck Fheman

You all lose:

"smart property"

Please get on board with the rest of the planet.

Smart bitProperty ProtoAsset ContractMetaCoins ©
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 07:56:57 am by Tuck Fheman »

Offline JoeyD

If the utility and tech is solid you could call it anything.

Sent from my Timex Sinclair

Besides the complete lack of naming originality, why would you want to make it harder for yourself if you don't even want the coin connotation and confusion in the first place? Makes no sense to me.

Offline NewMine

• View Profile
Didn't you know? Coming up with new names is 90% of the innovation!

That made me laugh. Thank you.

Offline cylonmaker2053

• Saving the world one block at a time
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cylonmaker2053
I'm wary of regular name changes. Makes the brand look volatile and erodes some of the intangible equity built into the prior name. Of course, there are times for changes, so i'm not discounting it here, just urging caution.

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
'BitAssets' were always going to be hard to bootstrap and with various competitors using the same descriptor most notably BitReserve and more recently BitGold.com, BitAssets have become fairly generic and not brand specific. (BitGold.com has been advertising heavily and and have recently acquired GoldMoney & their large customer base for $42 million, so it's possible they may yet bootstrap BitGold.)

So the decision to consider changing the brand is perhaps a good one. However while 'Smartcoins' is a good descriptor, it is already a very generic term. Just in the last week...

http://www.coindesk.com/mirror-raises-8-8-million-bitcoin-smart-contracts-trading/
https://coinreport.net/symbiont-raises-1-25m-develop-smart-securities/

It's highly unlikely 'SmartCoins' will become specifically associated/bootstrapped with our price stable crypto-currencies and so is therefore probably weak to try use as the actual brand imo.

A SmartCoin is a cryptocurrency whose value is pegged to that of another asset, such as the US Dollar or gold.
SmartCoins provide the freedom of cryptocurrency with the stability of the dollar.

https://bitshares.org/technology/price-stable-cryptocurrencies/

I suspect Smartcoins could soon be used to describe a wide range of offering from many competitors and seeing 'SmartCoins accepted here' will soon be as generic as 'BitAssets accepted here' - as in that could refer to BTS/BitReserve/BitGold etc.

If you were going to the change the brand I personally would have given our BitAssets a more individual and unique brand name.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 06:34:20 pm by Empirical1.2 »
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
You all lose:

"smart property"

Please get on board with the rest of the planet.

Smart property is the term that is being used by those whom you are trying to convince to use BitShares.

Smartcoins sound like a form of Smart property to me.  It works.

Offline Riverhead

If the utility and tech is solid you could call it anything.

Sent from my Timex Sinclair

Tuck Fheman

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile
I am definitely in favor of SmartCoins SmartChains +5%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 09:13:00 pm by Carpet Ride »
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Why not SmartMoney? Is there a legal issue with using "money" ?

Meh. Just doesn't sound...sexy enough.

:P
BitGold ia not money? Neither is BitNASDAQ