Author Topic: Compiling on different linux distros, like gentoo  (Read 1318 times)

Offline JoeyD

That's just a test program that fails to build, which might have something to do with using dynamic boost libs. Anyway, you don't need to build the test programs.

Instead of just typing "make", use "make bitshares_client" to build the CLI wallet, or "make buildweb BitShares" for the GUI.

Well I'll be darned, it worked. After solving all the compile breaking issues I was completely focused on having the entire compilation go through without errors, but like you said, just proceding with the rest of the wiki resulted in a working client.

Thank you and hopefully these few steps I posted will help other linux users compiling because they aren't immediately obvious from the wiki.

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
That's just a test program that fails to build, which might have something to do with using dynamic boost libs. Anyway, you don't need to build the test programs.

Instead of just typing "make", use "make bitshares_client" to build the CLI wallet, or "make buildweb BitShares" for the GUI.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline JoeyD

Have people tried compiling the client on something other than ubuntu? If so how did you do it?

I'm trying to figure out how to install the client on gentoo, but I seem to get stuck in the final stages of the install, with no clue on how to proceed.

So here's what I did sofar.

I followed the instructions of the wiki made sure I've installed all the required dependencies and run cmake without the static boost.
Code: [Select]
cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DBoost_USE_STATIC_LIBS=OFF .
Next I edited the files mentioned in this post by monsterer plus a couple not listed there. To get them all I edited the files I got from running
Code: [Select]
grep "unit_test.hpp" *.cpp in both the libraries and tests folders.

Afterwards (although I had to add a symlink to db_cxx to the berkeley db on my gentoo install, but that wasn't a major issue) compilation seems to run smoothly up to 
[ 98%] Built target nathan_tests
Linking CXX executable wallet_tests
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.9.2/../../../../lib64/crt1.o: In function `_start':
(.text+0x20): undefined reference to `main'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
tests/CMakeFiles/wallet_tests.dir/build.make:132: recipe for target 'tests/wallet_tests' failed
make[2]: *** [tests/wallet_tests] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:2228: recipe for target 'tests/CMakeFiles/wallet_tests.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [tests/CMakeFiles/wallet_tests.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:116: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

And here's where I'm stuck, I've tried moving -lpthread and -ldl to the end of link.txt as I've seen a couple of people do with similar problems on the forums, but that didn't solve the issue for me.

Any ideas on how to proceed from here?