Author Topic: 1000 PTS - Write Social Consensus Software License (SCSL) [CLOSED]  (Read 44473 times)

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile
I think there are some misconceptions, I've seen several posts this morning implying that the code has no license.

1) The code is licensed
2) The code license includes the social contract

text of the code license is here:
https://github.com/InvictusInnovations/BitShares/blob/master/LICENSE.md

3) If code is not licensed, it is not public domain. If Invictus did not license the code, no one would be allowed to use it without permission.
maintains an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ubuntu/bitshares [15% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval maqifrnswa true [50% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval delegate1.maqifrnswa true

Offline bytemaster

I made 9 posts. I hope Bytemaster knows what he is doing and has considered the potential economic ramifications of putting the code in the public domain.

PTS: PbmenFACZN9CfXTgEvsVkMT6g41bv7ZRQx

PTS digital signature: IBh46MQ6B4jb+jjINbCX70fiKdDQysf22i2ITIbJ7tQ4oHNMPoJLMiNs8zgcUNH/FZe1TqVbuLvkRXhUUt2lN50=
economic ramifications  - please enlighten me on what ramifications you can think of, just in case I missed something.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
I made 9 posts. I hope Bytemaster knows what he is doing and has considered the potential economic ramifications of putting the code in the public domain.

PTS: PbmenFACZN9CfXTgEvsVkMT6g41bv7ZRQx

PTS digital signature: IBh46MQ6B4jb+jjINbCX70fiKdDQysf22i2ITIbJ7tQ4oHNMPoJLMiNs8zgcUNH/FZe1TqVbuLvkRXhUUt2lN50=
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile
that is very generous, thank you
Ppf3WEcqakR7CarJWYQ41D5H7UWZKTz5vd
maintains an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ubuntu/bitshares [15% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval maqifrnswa true [50% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval delegate1.maqifrnswa true

Offline bytemaster

Note this is all about moving to the post-contract society, and a software license is a contract. 
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bytemaster

uh, this is still active right?

I have been putting some serious thought into this license and have concluded that any licenses short of placing this in the public domain may have undesirable regulatory consequences not to mention being against my own beliefs about intellectual property being invalid to begin with.  Therefore, I would like to tip everyone who helped participate in the discussion and who worked very hard evaluating this bounty.   It was an interesting idea  worthy of the discussion and time spent on it.

Barsizi... because you have so persistently pursued this and contributed to the cause I will throw 100 PTS your way. 
maqifrnswa... you have contributed extremely valuable ideas and I will also throw 100 PTS your way.
btclawyer...  as you are a lawyer and spent significant time advising us I will throw you 100 PTS tip as well.

Everyone else who participated in this thread I will throw 1 PTS per post tip your way... just provide me a post count and address.

Offline barwizi

• Noirbits, NoirShares, NoirEx.....lol, noir anyone?
    • View Profile
    • Noirbitstalk.org
--Bar--  PiNEJGUv4AZVZkLuF6hV4xwbYTRp5etWWJ

The magical land of crypto, no freebies people.

Offline barwizi

• View Profile
    • Noirbitstalk.org
There are typos and a bug in the existing license:

"The genesis block of any blockchain must allocate 10% of the total lifetime shares ever allocated by the blockchain to the holders of BitShares PTS proportional to the percentage of total BitShares PTS held. Additionally 10% of the total lifetime shares ever allcoated by the blockchain to the holders of BitShares AGS must be allocated in the genesis block."

allcoated -> allocated

The last sentence can be read as:
10% of the total lifetime shares allocated by the blockchain to holders of BitShares AGS must be allocated in the genesis block.

That reads as if I only need to allocate 10% of the shares I will allocate to BitShares AGS holders in the genesis block. So if I was going to give 1million shares to AGS holders, I only need to give them 100k in the genesis block.

I'd use the same language for both PTS and AGS holders:
The genesis block of any blockchain must allocate 10% of the total lifetime shares ever to be allocated by the blockchain to the holders of BitShares PTS proportional to the percentage of total BitShares PTS held. Additionally, the genesis block of any blockchain must allocate 10% of the total lifetime shares ever to be allocated by the blockchain to the holders of BitShares AGS proportional to the percentage of total BitShares AGS held.

EDIT:comments on barwizi's clause 4:
All modified redistributions shall allocate at least 10 % of the total value supply units to BitShares PTS holders at genesis of the modified version. All BitShares AGS sponsored redistributions shall allocate a further 10% of the total value supply to BitShares AGS holders at genesis. The remaining value supply is allocated at distributor's discretion while preserving the percentages throughout the modified redistributions’ lifetime.
what is a modified redistribution?
why "shall"? It should just be "All modified redistributions allocate at least" since it is a restrictive condition.
the last sentence is a nice addition, but technically all sentences in clause 4 list "conditions" so maybe reword it:
"The remaining value supply is allocated at distributor's discretion such that the percentages allocated to BitShares PTS and AGS holders do not decrease below 10% each throughout the modified redistributions’ lifetime."

Done

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile
There are typos and a bug in the existing license:

"The genesis block of any blockchain must allocate 10% of the total lifetime shares ever allocated by the blockchain to the holders of BitShares PTS proportional to the percentage of total BitShares PTS held. Additionally 10% of the total lifetime shares ever allcoated by the blockchain to the holders of BitShares AGS must be allocated in the genesis block."

allcoated -> allocated

The last sentence can be read as:
10% of the total lifetime shares allocated by the blockchain to holders of BitShares AGS must be allocated in the genesis block.

That reads as if I only need to allocate 10% of the shares I will allocate to BitShares AGS holders in the genesis block. So if I was going to give 1million shares to AGS holders, I only need to give them 100k in the genesis block.

I'd use the same language for both PTS and AGS holders:
The genesis block of any blockchain must allocate 10% of the total lifetime shares ever to be allocated by the blockchain to the holders of BitShares PTS proportional to the percentage of total BitShares PTS held. Additionally, the genesis block of any blockchain must allocate 10% of the total lifetime shares ever to be allocated by the blockchain to the holders of BitShares AGS proportional to the percentage of total BitShares AGS held.

EDIT:comments on barwizi's clause 4:
All modified redistributions shall allocate at least 10 % of the total value supply units to BitShares PTS holders at genesis of the modified version. All BitShares AGS sponsored redistributions shall allocate a further 10% of the total value supply to BitShares AGS holders at genesis. The remaining value supply is allocated at distributor's discretion while preserving the percentages throughout the modified redistributions’ lifetime.
what is a modified redistribution?
why "shall"? It should just be "All modified redistributions allocate at least" since it is a restrictive condition.
the last sentence is a nice addition, but technically all sentences in clause 4 list "conditions" so maybe reword it:
"The remaining value supply is allocated at distributor's discretion such that the percentages allocated to BitShares PTS and AGS holders do not decrease below 10% each throughout the modified redistributions’ lifetime."
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 06:03:37 pm by maqifrnswa »

Offline barwizi

• View Profile
    • Noirbitstalk.org
Changed to include some changes in language and words.

I would think this has to be in place for launch?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vJoHfPO3lCV5pSVoHiZ2s3sp6yUUkVDSkul15A4dWPY/edit#

Offline barwizi

• View Profile
    • Noirbitstalk.org

Offline barwizi

• View Profile
    • Noirbitstalk.org
Will the consensus be amended or will it maintain the difference between AGS funded DAC vs 3rd party DAC?

There is no difference, all DACs that use the code are AGS funded.

Which makes it applicable to DACs that use the code only. You need to re-think this to include those that will use their own.

I would just add that AGS donors are funding more than just "the code".  They are funding everything their funds are being used for to build the entire ecosystem.  All the bounties.  All the publicity.  All the videos, and papers, and infrastructure and legal foundation, and...

If you aren't using any of that, you owe AGS donors nothing, with a clear conscience.

But you still might rather have them be the ones who get a vested interest rather than people just interested in free pizza money.  AGS holders are, after all, proven willing and able investors in this industry.  You want them to be interested in what you are doing.  Very interested!

It's not about who you owe as much as who you want to attract.

When the time comes to field a lottery DAC, the business model will dictate that you reserve some % for early jackpots to attract players rather than investors.

Once you switch to that Marketing Mental Model (MMM), it may start to make a bit more sense for 3rd parties who don't need any help from the community. 

You are, of course, wise to attract pizza eaters if you are fielding a pizzeria DAC.   :)

My point exactly, the structure should be more like an invitation to a BoB (bring own beer) party. The host AGS/PTS has already set up the venue and paid for the furniture, now everyone must bring their own beer and we can have a party. You are free to go and have your own party but the advantages of being at one party are better.

Of course, it's good social etiquette to bring enough extra beer to share with the hosts...

;)

Where i come from, you bring vodka   :)

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Will the consensus be amended or will it maintain the difference between AGS funded DAC vs 3rd party DAC?

Which makes it applicable to DACs that use the code only. You need to re-think this to include those that will use their own.

I would just add that AGS donors are funding more than just "the code".  They are funding everything their funds are being used for to build the entire ecosystem.  All the bounties.  All the publicity.  All the videos, and papers, and infrastructure and legal foundation, and...

If you aren't using any of that, you owe AGS donors nothing, with a clear conscience.

But you still might rather have them be the ones who get a vested interest rather than people just interested in free pizza money.  AGS holders are, after all, proven willing and able investors in this industry.  You want them to be interested in what you are doing.  Very interested!

When the time comes to field a lottery DAC, the business model will dictate that you reserve some % for early jackpots to attract players rather than investors.

Once you switch to that Marketing Mental Model (MMM), it may start to make a bit more sense for 3rd parties who don't need any help from the community. 

You are, of course, wise to attract pizza eaters if you are fielding a pizzeria DAC.   :)

My point exactly, the structure should be more like an invitation to a BoB (bring own beer) party. The host AGS/PTS has already set up the venue and paid for the furniture, now everyone must bring their own beer and we can have a party. You are free to go and have your own party but the advantages of being at one party are better.

Of course, it's good social etiquette to bring enough extra beer to share with the hosts...

;)
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline barwizi

• View Profile
    • Noirbitstalk.org

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.