Author Topic: BitShares + Bitcoin  (Read 6977 times)

Offline marcosluna

• View Profile
Is that legal?

Offline Yao

• View Profile
  • BitShares: yao
  • GitHub: imYao
Something is what? :o

Offline mike623317

• View Profile
Maybe some of the core BTC developers have finally agreed with BM on the merits of DPoS. That would certainly merit a lot of eyeballs and controversy.

I hope that is it because that would be huge and a vindication of bitshares

Offline fuzzy

Encryption?
This is what I'm worried about.
Please elaborate
http://www.businessinsider.com/david-cameron-encryption-back-doors-iphone-whatsapp-2015-7
I very much doubt they'd ever be able to sneak backdoors into encryption used in bitcoin. I'm no expert but im pretty sure that the algorithm (?) chosen was welll established and well researched (no backdoors).

'Super safe encryption that we (the govt) definitely don't want you using to encrypt your phone!' is obviously backdoored and not safe at all, but bitcoin and bitshares are entire infrastructure networks that rely on security. There is ample motivation for any motivated hacker to attempt to break private key cryptography, if it was broken somebody would have used it to steal satoshis stash long ago.
Even 'top secret' employees have huge incentive to disobey orders (and use the 'backdoor') to steal large sums of money. Such incentive only grows as bitcoin/bitshares increase in market cap.
Uptime is inversely proportional to the likelihood of broken encryption. As time and market cap increase, the likelihood that a backdoor exists but has not yet been used decreases.

If you mean the security of users devices for storing those keys, then certainly there is a problem - one that hardware wallet manufacturers will profit from solving.
Products like BitSIM already exist to securely sign transactions on any mobile SIM card device.
https://bitcoinmagazine.com/20054/bitsim-adds-secure-hardware-wallet-phone/

It is always a security arms race.
Its so true...

All people have to make a choice if they will support a chain and make it completely sustainable.  This means various incentives to continue securing the chain against all attacks. My biggest concern though really is more regarding the centralized services around them that become gateways. Just like ISPs, the service providers that act as gateways become vulnerable to Hacking and, of course, Mafiacracies.

That is why we should have encrypted devices (especially phones) and decentralized services (hmmm...make something like open transactions a delegate can utilize to provide people with higher layers of security.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 04:16:41 am by fuzzy »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
Maybe some of the core BTC developers have finally agreed with BM on the merits of DPoS. That would certainly merit a lot of eyeballs and controversy.

Offline VoR0220

David Cameron is all bark and no bite...no way he gets that shit through parliament. And even if he does....it's encryption! You can't stop it anymore than you can stop math! You can only hope to break it.

Another idea I have (and have been having) is that Bitshares provides the perfect platform to integrate sidechains with in terms of tracking value at a certain point and time....another area I see them violently agreeing on is that Ripple is a bastardization of crypto....maybe.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Permie

• BitShares is the mycelium of the financial-earth
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: krimduss
Encryption?
This is what I'm worried about.
Please elaborate
http://www.businessinsider.com/david-cameron-encryption-back-doors-iphone-whatsapp-2015-7
I very much doubt they'd ever be able to sneak backdoors into encryption used in bitcoin. I'm no expert but im pretty sure that the algorithm (?) chosen was welll established and well researched (no backdoors).

'Super safe encryption that we (the govt) definitely don't want you using to encrypt your phone!' is obviously backdoored and not safe at all, but bitcoin and bitshares are entire infrastructure networks that rely on security. There is ample motivation for any motivated hacker to attempt to break private key cryptography, if it was broken somebody would have used it to steal satoshis stash long ago.
Even 'top secret' employees have huge incentive to disobey orders (and use the 'backdoor') to steal large sums of money. Such incentive only grows as bitcoin/bitshares increase in market cap.
Uptime is inversely proportional to the likelihood of broken encryption. As time and market cap increase, the likelihood that a backdoor exists but has not yet been used decreases.

If you mean the security of users devices for storing those keys, then certainly there is a problem - one that hardware wallet manufacturers will profit from solving.
Products like BitSIM already exist to securely sign transactions on any mobile SIM card device.
https://bitcoinmagazine.com/20054/bitsim-adds-secure-hardware-wallet-phone/
JonnyBitcoin votes for liquidity and simplicity. Make him your proxy?
BTSDEX.COM

Offline Permie

• View Profile
BTSDEX.COM

Offline bobmaloney

"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
It might take a rocket scientist to unravel that riddle. Oh wait, we have one...

Offline Permie

• View Profile
BitLicense, obviously.

Chemical, biological, nuclear.. natural disasters.. I got it covered. :)

Now, if you just had regulatory disasters covered...  :)

BTSDEX.COM

Offline pioneer

• View Profile

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
This summer will soon find BitShares fighting side by side with Bitcoin in violent agreement about something.

Wait for that if you want controversy to attract eyeballs.

:)

Proof-of-Work?   :P

lol.
Its great how we find this hilarious.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
This summer will soon find BitShares fighting side by side with Bitcoin in violent agreement about something.

Wait for that if you want controversy to attract eyeballs.

:)

Proof-of-Work?   :P

lol.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads