Author Topic: Thoughts on the effect of a Greece default  (Read 1879 times)

Offline cylonmaker2053

• Saving the world one block at a time
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cylonmaker2053
I think it will have no impact at all other than traders playing off claims like NXT being the solution to Greece and pump and dumping.

Crypto realistically is not even an option at this stage to the rest of the world.

Following 2.0 what we are going to need to do as a decentralized organization is implement a 'death by a 1000 paper-cuts' strategy. When the tipping point is reached that is when you will see the shift of entire economies. That tipping point will depend largely on power and trust.

we may have already passed a crypto tipping point...not for any particular country, but humanity need not be parsed into arbitrary geometric herds. that worked well when currencies and economic activity were local, but us cryptosters are sort of a new breed of international citizen; we're building our economy from the ground up, it's open source, and we're a fairly tolerant bunch to anyone who wants to join :)

I appreciate your interpretation of what I meant by tipping point, but my definition goes a little further into practical terms.

I am talking about when market cap begins to dwarf at least other online corporations.. when the user base begins to use it in everyday transactions.. when users start asking merchants to accept bitWhatever to pay their bills and merchants start seeking it out.. this is the tipping point in my estimation... following this comes the bigger stuff.

Analysis of how a situation looks and could be addressed is all fine and easy to agree with when its just ideas.. in the end though ideas are worthless, execution is everything. Remember...

well that's a tipping point that'd make us all rich :)

i just meant to say that where we are today with crypto is sufficient for our economy to exist. if nothing changed as of today, we'd still be fine. we can already keep funds out of the traditional finance system, we can purchase almost everything we could want (admittedly only from a trivial fraction of world businesses), and we can deal with each other instantaneously and as off grid as we want. of course, the tipping point you mention would be much better for us, and i think is very likely inevitable.

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

I think it will have no impact at all other than traders playing off claims like NXT being the solution to Greece and pump and dumping.

Crypto realistically is not even an option at this stage to the rest of the world.

Following 2.0 what we are going to need to do as a decentralized organization is implement a 'death by a 1000 paper-cuts' strategy. When the tipping point is reached that is when you will see the shift of entire economies. That tipping point will depend largely on power and trust.

we may have already passed a crypto tipping point...not for any particular country, but humanity need not be parsed into arbitrary geometric herds. that worked well when currencies and economic activity were local, but us cryptosters are sort of a new breed of international citizen; we're building our economy from the ground up, it's open source, and we're a fairly tolerant bunch to anyone who wants to join :)

I appreciate your interpretation of what I meant by tipping point, but my definition goes a little further into practical terms.

I am talking about when market cap begins to dwarf at least other online corporations.. when the user base begins to use it in everyday transactions.. when users start asking merchants to accept bitWhatever to pay their bills and merchants start seeking it out.. this is the tipping point in my estimation... following this comes the bigger stuff.

Analysis of how a situation looks and could be addressed is all fine and easy to agree with when its just ideas.. in the end though ideas are worthless, execution is everything. Remember...

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

clout

No effect unless bitshares is traded on European markets. To be honest if 2.0 meets expectations we need to pay exchanges to get listed on them

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
Its more press for bitcoin.  Which helps the entire cryptocurrency space.

i think this is the extent to which a Greek collapse would effect crypto...it'd boost our marketing, but from there it's tough to say.

Offline onceuponatime

What do people think the effect on crypto would be if Greece defaults.

Apparently there has already been a bit of a global sell off.

I have no idea how this would effect a global market, anyone have ideas?

What I understand is that the EU will not call it a "Greek default" because this would trigger cascading Credit Default Swaps to commence and bring down their whole f****ing financial system. Instead they are saying so far that Greece is "in arrears" so as to not trigger the  CDS as required by law.

But eventually the rot and fraud will self destruct. I hope that 2.0 is ready!

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Its more press for bitcoin.  Which helps the entire cryptocurrency space.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
What do people think the effect on crypto would be if Greece defaults.

Apparently there has already been a bit of a global sell off.

I have no idea how this would effect a global market, anyone have ideas?