Author Topic: Forum Community cross 10k users green line  (Read 2712 times)

Offline cylonmaker2053

• Saving the world one block at a time
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cylonmaker2053
Great now let's have 10k people actively shorting bitassets :)

I really don't think that shorting bitassets, aka taking a leveraged long position in BTS, fits the risk profile of most average users or investors. 

I agree with the sentiment that we should not encourage inexpert users to take unfamiliar risks, but shorting bitassets does not always require a leveraged long position in BTS. There is a wider range of possible motives, which I believe can be made simpler over time with customised tools, as I describe here...
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,16986.msg218678.html#msg218678

Further, in future collateral could come in a greater range of acceptable forms than just BTS.

i agree with you guys about not promoting undue risk-taking by people who don't understand the full implications.

@starspirit, i just posted a response to your linked post on that thread...

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit

I really don't think that shorting bitassets, aka taking a leveraged long position in BTS, fits the risk profile of most average users or investors. 

I agree with the sentiment that we should not encourage inexpert users to take unfamiliar risks, but shorting bitassets does not always require a leveraged long position in BTS. There is a wider range of possible motives, which I believe can be made simpler over time with customised tools, as I describe here...
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,16986.msg218678.html#msg218678

Further, in future collateral could come in a greater range of acceptable forms than just BTS.

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
i'm toying with the idea of putting together an investment club or even a small crypto hedge fund with one function being shorting bitassets into existence. We absolutely need demand for our products--bitassets--but we also need people willing to take the counterparty position and create them in the first place.

I like your idea of creating an investment club ;)

You can count me in.

cool, thx for the vote of confidence...i need to work through the details, but will prob issue UIA tokens as shares once i figure out how much capital i want to put into it. i like the UIA approach so people can come and go as they please with as little or as much investment as they like.

one thing's for sure, though, and that's as the demand for our assets increases, we're going to need more dedicated investment on the short side to provide on-demand liquidity.

Offline EstefanTT

i'm toying with the idea of putting together an investment club or even a small crypto hedge fund with one function being shorting bitassets into existence. We absolutely need demand for our products--bitassets--but we also need people willing to take the counterparty position and create them in the first place.

I like your idea of creating an investment club ;)

You can count me in.
Bit20, the cryptocurrency index fund http://www.bittwenty.com
(BitShares French ConneXion - www.bitsharesfcx.com)

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile

Lets have 10k people buying BTS, and some portion of them who know what they are doing and are experienced traders, short bitassets. 

A bunch of community members shorting bitassets near the peak in BTS, and then not covering and getting margin called, exacerbated this decline, and made everyone get burned out because in addition to BTS going down in value, they also lost BTS to margin calls. 

I think we need more BTS hodlers who buy a bit every paycheck and then dont lose all their BTS to soem uncaring whale in a bear market because they got margin called.

that's actually a good point. i'm toying with the idea of putting together an investment club or even a small crypto hedge fund with one function being shorting bitassets into existence. We absolutely need demand for our products--bitassets--but we also need people willing to take the counterparty position and create them in the first place.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander

Lets have 10k people buying BTS, and some portion of them who know what they are doing and are experienced traders, short bitassets. 

A bunch of community members shorting bitassets near the peak in BTS, and then not covering and getting margin called, exacerbated this decline, and made everyone get burned out because in addition to BTS going down in value, they also lost BTS to margin calls. 

I think we need more BTS hodlers who buy a bit every paycheck and then dont lose all their BTS to soem uncaring whale in a bear market because they got margin called.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline infovortice2013

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • BitShares en español
  • BitShares: traderx
50 euros or dolars each profile buying BTS , should be a good home pump  to make a money vortex inflating bts and short bitassets then  8)
New Keyoteeid: 5rUhuLCDWUA2FStkKVRTWYEqY1mZhwpfVdRmYEvMRFRD1bqYAL
new08/21 id 5Sjf3LMuYPSeNnjLYXmAoHj5Z6TPCmwmfXD6XwDmg27dwfQ

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline infovortice2013

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • BitShares en español
will be great if everybody fill himself in the bts map

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1162907

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
on it ..

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile

Offline infovortice2013

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • BitShares en español
Yeah Congrats all, BigBase to start 2.0
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 11:43:59 pm by infovortice2013 »