Author Topic: Is there a way to load a bitshares account without using the bitshares software?  (Read 6499 times)

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

I'm trying again using the cli, gotta say this has been the single most difficult get-a-wallet-working experience i've yet come across in crypto.

If you are looking for quick and easy I highly recommend https://wallet.bitshares.org
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline twitter

• View Profile
My wallet crashes at least once per day. Bitshares will be out of market if wallet stay the same in coming bts 2.0
witness:

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!
I'm trying again using the cli, gotta say this has been the single most difficult get-a-wallet-working experience i've yet come across in crypto.
Email me at adam@letstalkbitcoin.com

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
I've found that the only really reliable option is the linux CLI client on a machine with plenty of RAM. I had a vps just for bitshares at one point.
that plus the chain server syncing xeroc mentioned above worked well for me in the end.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
I've found that the only really reliable option is the linux CLI client on a machine with plenty of RAM. I had a vps just for bitshares at one point.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline vikram

Some time later i'm still not able to access any of my bitshares and i've now tried and failed to get the basic client working on four computers, three PCs and a mac it stalls out and eventually crashes like 50-60% through syncing

I also have an ongoing wallet recovery issue that I fear is going to get worse when the switch to graphene happens
https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares/issues/1509

Are all of these syncing attempts using the GUI client with your wallet open? Assuming yes, do you get any different behavior if you just create a new wallet on startup and try to sync? Best bet is to sync first then worry about importing any wallets you have.

Using the command line client will be even better. There are some details here about how to run it on Windows: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,17386.msg223161.html#msg223161

The ideal way is to use the command line client to fully sync first, and then we can import your wallet.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
So here's my question
Is there any way to dig a "Backup seed" out of my old and usable (but not sync'd to the blockchain) 0.5.3 account that can be plugged in here and bailed out of?

Nop ... but there will be an upgrade to the BitShares0.9 client that will make the transition to bts2.0 much easier .. there you will not require to sync a full-node if you do not like to ..

It's really strange .. I have BitShares running continuously on 4-6 machines .. no issues at all .. (unless hard forking :) )
Have you tried syncing from a chain-server?
http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/BitShares/Chain-Server

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!
Some time later i'm still not able to access any of my bitshares and i've now tried and failed to get the basic client working on four computers, three PCs and a mac it stalls out and eventually crashes like 50-60% through syncing

I also have an ongoing wallet recovery issue that I fear is going to get worse when the switch to graphene happens
https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares/issues/1509

I suspect the already troublesome process of syncing has been made worse because I have a line of sight internet connection that regularly fluctuates with small drops that I imagine are not making things any easier.

So here's my question
Is there any way to dig a "Backup seed" out of my old and usable (but not sync'd to the blockchain) 0.5.3 account that can be plugged in here and bailed out of?

https://wallet.bitshares.org/#/unlockwallet
Email me at adam@letstalkbitcoin.com

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
I mean it seems a bit pointless to have DPOS & a requirement for a local chain.  I can see a need to add fully verifying as an option you can turn on and off, but really why not SPV as the default?  It would make it so much easier and less resource intensive.
With DPOS and a local chain you trust that 51 delegates or less won't collude, that is much more safety than trusting one delegate. But you are right the syncing is a pain atm! I am at 92% after about 28 hours :)
All active development has stopped for BitShares 1.0. According to BM / tests BitShares 2.0, where all development efforts go into atm, will only need 250 mb of Ram and a proper light client / web wallet will be available (standard wallet).

If it takes 28 hours, are you sure it's syncing at all? On my reasonably fast internet connection it takes less than 1 hour for the wallet to download the entire blockchain from scratch. But I can't imagine that you'd have 28x slower internet. Are you sure you haven't got some firewall up and running or some advanced router option like IP-flood-protection enabled?
It has now synced completely. It runs in a virtual machine (2 gb ram). It may have to do with that...

Offline JoeyD

I mean it seems a bit pointless to have DPOS & a requirement for a local chain.  I can see a need to add fully verifying as an option you can turn on and off, but really why not SPV as the default?  It would make it so much easier and less resource intensive.
With DPOS and a local chain you trust that 51 delegates or less won't collude, that is much more safety than trusting one delegate. But you are right the syncing is a pain atm! I am at 92% after about 28 hours :)
All active development has stopped for BitShares 1.0. According to BM / tests BitShares 2.0, where all development efforts go into atm, will only need 250 mb of Ram and a proper light client / web wallet will be available (standard wallet).

If it takes 28 hours, are you sure it's syncing at all? On my reasonably fast internet connection it takes less than 1 hour for the wallet to download the entire blockchain from scratch. But I can't imagine that you'd have 28x slower internet. Are you sure you haven't got some firewall up and running or some advanced router option like IP-flood-protection enabled?

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 08:43:31 am by delulo »

Offline Riverhead

Offline devlux

• View Profile
I've found running BitShares GUI on windows completely intolerable.  I gave up on that a long time ago.  Its only stable on Linux and mac it seems.   

So true.  I've been having very similar problems to Adam's the past couple days.  Keeps crashing 50-75% of the way through.  Been trying to get it to finish syncing the blockchain so I can buy some more NOTES! ;)
If you use this http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/BitShares/Chain-Server it can crash and you can resume downloading. Normally if it crashes then you have to begin from 0...

Oh wow, that's so simple and explains a lot of problems I'm seeing.  Didn't realize it started from scratch on a crash.
By the way what the heck are the system requirements on this thing?  I have it on a 2 core dedicated box with 4GB of and it gets pegged so bad that SSH barely works.  I really don't have the budget for a bigger box.

Wish that there was a the equivalent of SPV for BitShares.  I would love to just trust a delegate right about now and start asking for balances etc and not have to deal with the whole blockchain sync thing.  I mean it seems a bit pointless to have DPOS & a requirement for a local chain.  I can see a need to add fully verifying as an option you can turn on and off, but really why not SPV as the default?  It would make it so much easier and less resource intensive.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
I've found running BitShares GUI on windows completely intolerable.  I gave up on that a long time ago.  Its only stable on Linux and mac it seems.   

So true.  I've been having very similar problems to Adam's the past couple days.  Keeps crashing 50-75% of the way through.  Been trying to get it to finish syncing the blockchain so I can buy some more NOTES! ;)
If you use this http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/BitShares/Chain-Server it can crash and you can resume downloading. Normally if it crashes then you have to begin from 0...

Offline bobmaloney

It may just be timing out.

Drop down user name at top right of client (if you have many user names, you will need to scroll down to get to "Advanced")

Advanced > Preferences > Logout timeout

Change "Logout timeout" from 1776 to >9000!!!!

*this single change has allowed me to run the 0.9.1 Bitshares client (fairly certain it was 0.9.1 - I haven't fired up this laptop since April or May) with the following Frankenstein setup (although, not recommended for those with a productive schedule):

Dell Latitude D830
Windows 8.1 Pro - 32-bit
Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 @ 2.00GHz
2GB RAM
Seagate Momentus HDD @ 5400RPM - 120 GB - SATA 1.5Gb/s

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 05:08:44 pm by bobmaloney »
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)