Author Topic: nasdaq to use bitcoin technology  (Read 7451 times)

Offline Helikopterben

• View Profile
We should do all of that once 2.0 is delivered. Only then can we prove what BitShares is worth so at the moment we kind of have our hands tied up.

This ^

Imagine Google attempting to sell a smart car to Ford without even a working prototype.  I don't think it would go over so well.  The best response you could hope for is "well, let us know when you get it working and then we can talk."  Once bitshares 2.0 is working in a live environment, then these major institutions may take notice, and it will probably take some time to iron out the initial bugs in 2.0 to really have a great product to demonstrate.

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
We should do all of that once 2.0 is delivered. Only then can we prove what BitShares is worth so at the moment we kind of have our hands tied up.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Blazin8888

Seems I overestimated how much time NASDAQ invests in research prior to execution ..
In the end, we should try to be a lot more present at conferences, meetups and workshops/hackatons..
So I don't think its simply an issue of research. Nadaq is one of the most technologically advances exchanges in all areas of the exchange business not just trade execution. They really want to use this technology to consolidate back office operations because it will allow for them to have a competitive advantage over those other exchanges that have more heavily invested in clearing services.

To be fair they are only just getting their feet wet and bitcoin being the premier blockchain at the moment is a good way of doing that. They are using bitcoin to manage cap tables which can be adequately performed using bitcoins blockchain and open assets. I can't remember where exactly I reqd this, but I'm pretty sure they are looking for alternatives to bitcoin going forward.

I think it would be really beneficial to reach out nasdaq to give them an idea of what this technology is capable in terms of scalability and in terms of compliance. Additionally I think it would be good to reach out CMEs Strategic Investment Group, which invested in ripple.

Our pitch to these exchanges should be that clients can create their own ETPs, thereby allowing these exchanges to capture a larger share of the OTC markets and position themselves for changes in regulatory guidance such as MiFID II which will restrict OTC trading in the future.

I am 100% with you. We all need to step our game up and let them know.

It says nothing about using Bitcoins blockchain. It says they are going to use tech behind it. Who knows what they are cookin up

"Earlier this year, Nasdaq joined a clutch of companies seeking to adapt blockchain for mainstream finance, saying it would “leverage blockchain technology as part of an enterprise-wide initiative.”
“We also plan to announce further blockchain initiatives in the future,” Greifeld said Thursday during a conference call with analysts. “The application of blockchain technology within Nasdaq’s private market aims to modernize, streamline and really secure cumbersome administrative functions,”
Last month, Symbiont, which plans to use blockchain to make it quicker and cheaper to transfer assets between buyers and sellers, raised $1.25 million from financial industry heavyweights including former New York Stock Exchange chief Duncan Niederauer, former Citadel LLC executive Matt Andresen, and two co-founders of high-frequency trading firm Getco LLC, Dan Tierney and Stephen Schuler."

Imo we have the potential to already be at number 2 on CMC people just dont see it yet. Im sure if they are in talks with a big bank then they can get in touch with who they need to. The devs seem very intelligent. Only thing im wondering is if the Nasdaq does create its own blockchain that will render Bitshares useless correct?

« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 08:21:20 pm by Blazin8888 »

clout

Seems I overestimated how much time NASDAQ invests in research prior to execution ..
In the end, we should try to be a lot more present at conferences, meetups and workshops/hackatons..
So I don't think its simply an issue of research. Nadaq is one of the most technologically advances exchanges in all areas of the exchange business not just trade execution. They really want to use this technology to consolidate back office operations because it will allow for them to have a competitive advantage over those other exchanges that have more heavily invested in clearing services.

To be fair they are only just getting their feet wet and bitcoin being the premier blockchain at the moment is a good way of doing that. They are using bitcoin to manage cap tables which can be adequately performed using bitcoins blockchain and open assets. I can't remember where exactly I reqd this, but I'm pretty sure they are looking for alternatives to bitcoin going forward.

I think it would be really beneficial to reach out nasdaq to give them an idea of what this technology is capable in terms of scalability and in terms of compliance. Additionally I think it would be good to reach out CMEs Strategic Investment Group, which invested in ripple.

Our pitch to these exchanges should be that clients can create their own ETPs, thereby allowing these exchanges to capture a larger share of the OTC markets and position themselves for changes in regulatory guidance such as MiFID II which will restrict OTC trading in the future.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
"Nasdaq to downgrade from 100000s of tps to 7".  lol.

For the financial industry a little will go a looong way.  I'm sure that's sufficient for Nasdaq's needs.  They get a indisputable ledger every ten minutes for their millions upon millions of trades-- down siziing completely their administration and upkeep for accounting.

And then after they see how cool it is we will be there with 2.0, asking them how they would like to upgrade.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Bitcoinfan

• View Profile

For the financial industry a little will go a looong way.  I'm sure that's sufficient for Nasdaq's needs.  They get a indisputable ledger every ten minutes for their millions upon millions of trades-- down siziing completely their administration and upkeep for accounting. 

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
can someone point them over to our website?
Didn't you read the article? They WANT to use legacy Bitcoin technology :P
A company of that size should have experts that are able to browse over CMC and read about "competitors" and alternatives to bitcoin ..
unless they just want to use the bitcoin hype

Unless bitcoin uses lighting transactions which are prototype and probably wont work for them, bitcoin work do the job with 3 tps... I doubt many of them are experts in the crypto field to say that bitshares will solve their problems for them, however talking to the dev team will help alleviate any issues they may have. I bet its a good thing to contact them.
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

clout

I think Dan and the team are extremely talented developers, but they don't entirely understand the industry in which they find themselves. They are however very far ahead of the curve from a technical standpoint, and I have the utmost confidence that major partnerships will arise from their hard work. There are certainly ppl that I can reach out to on their behalf its just that there's not much to show at this point.

Offline topcandle

Information on bitshares has not been readily accessible. These companies are not looking at CMC or forums to find partnerships. We have to reach out to reputable VCs or to exchanges like Nasdaq directly. There has been very little emphasis on strategic planning and partnerships by the the core team.

yeah in action that's true.  But its so contary to what they have been saying.  in what's been verbalized, the CNX has been saying they have a bag full of partnerships/ fleet of planes to land on bitshares airstrip. 

I'm glad you agree, we have little to show in terms of partnerships so far. 

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,17610.0.html

clout

Information on bitshares has not been readily accessible. These companies are not looking at CMC or forums to find partnerships. We have to reach out to reputable VCs or to exchanges like Nasdaq directly. There has been very little emphasis on strategic planning and partnerships by the the core team.

Offline topcandle

A company of that size should have experts that are able to browse over CMC and read about "competitors" and alternatives to bitcoin ..

bitshares right now hasn't deliver neither. 

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag