Author Topic: [Proposal] Long term strategy on fees: % based tx fees  (Read 6087 times)

Offline Permie

• BitShares is the mycelium of the financial-earth
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: krimduss
Make it so market makers get paid, and market takers pay %. This will create liquidity like crazy.

+5% If possible
Liquidity is what brings in the most customers, right?
JonnyBitcoin votes for liquidity and simplicity. Make him your proxy?
BTSDEX.COM

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Having different fees for different types of tx and % based fees must not be a contradiction. What is your specific argument against % based fees? 
You can't justify them .. the amount is represented as an integer with 64 bits ... all those bits have to be stored on the blockchain .. independent of the ACTUAL amount ...
I can see that there is an economical reason to do so though .. there's just no technical one ..
I see your argument. It is part of this post: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,17721.msg226010.html#msg226010
But there is another way to look at this (second approach, see the post).
We might agree if the conclusion of the second approach is that the pain for the customer is too high to justify high total fees that result from % based fees. But who knows that it is so? And who knows that the equation I suggested is not super positive (high return and low customer pain).
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 02:11:41 pm by delulo »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Having different fees for different types of tx and % based fees must not be a contradiction. What is your specific argument against % based fees? 
You can't justify them .. the amount is represented as an integer with 64 bits ... all those bits have to be stored on the blockchain .. independent of the ACTUAL amount ...
I can see that there is an economical reason to do so though .. there's just no technical one ..

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
By what other means than tx fees can the DAC make money?
- market orders and trades
- bonds
- different fees for public and blinded transactions

in the end .. everything you do in bitshares is a transaction .. but you can tie different fees to each of them .. and most are independent of the AMOUNT, some are dependent of the SIZE .. none are in % ... all can be defined by 'delegates' in bts2

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
- market orders and trades
- bonds
- different fees for public and blinded transactions

in the end .. everything you do in bitshares is a transaction .. but you can tie different fees to each of them .. and most are independent of the AMOUNT, some are dependent of the SIZE .. none are in % ... all can be defined by 'delegates' in bts2

Offline Frodo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: frodo
Okay my above comparison isn't working 100%. I'll try to look at this differently:

On a logical level a transaction fee should consist of two parts: raw tx processing cost + platform development cost. As xeroc said development cost is independent of nearly everything. It is a constant. So we have to distribute these costs arbitrarily with the goal that the user base perceives it as fair. To define fairness is always difficult but here are my thoughts. Development cost part of a tx fee should be dependent of:
   - the importance of our service to a customer
   - the importance of the customer relative to all customers (i.e. big company vs individual)

By setting a fixed tx fee customers pay linearly for development with the number of transactions they make. That is imo a very bad cost distribution regarding the two points made above. (Why should a customer who makes frequent small transactions pay much more for development of the platform than a customer who depends on less frequent but big transactions? Our service is equally important to both and thus both would be willing to pay the same amount of fees.) A more accurate picture would be total transaction volume, as it accounts in some way both points I listed. Hence I would argue that tx fees should be in some way dependent of volume.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
A fixed % and a min fee would produce very high (too high to compete) total fees for high volume tx.
I still dont see the point why it should technically cost more to transfer $1M than it costs to transfer $1 .. both are just unsigned integers and have the same technical cost in terms of processing and storage .. You can't justify this except for "making a bigger profit" for the DAC .. and I think there are better ways to may more profit than that .. IMHO

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I disagree. What you are paying for is not only the raw costs of computing power to make the transaction but much rather the development cost behind the system.
And that cost is still independent of the amount a user wants to transfer, isn't it?

I believe it is the same with BitShares. Perceived value of transferring $1M is higher than for $1. So why shouldn't you pay different amounts for development of the platform regardless of raw tx costs?
sure ... include development time and all that stuff .. but using the system should cost all participants the same .. independent of HOW they use it ..
I can use my computer to play video games or to establish a million-$ company like google .. the computer still cost me the same .. independent of how I use it

Offline Frodo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: frodo
A fixed % and a min fee would produce very high (too high to compete) total fees for high volume tx.
I still dont see the point why it should technically cost more to transfer $1M than it costs to transfer $1 .. both are just unsigned integers and have the same technical cost in terms of processing and storage .. You can't justify this except for "making a bigger profit" for the DAC .. and I think there are better ways to may more profit than that .. IMHO

I disagree. What you are paying for is not only the raw costs of computing power to make the transaction but much rather the development cost behind the system.

I like to compare this to microprocessor market. What you pay for is mainly R&D and not chip manufacturing. And sometimes you will be sold the same piece of hardware with some locked features for less money than the unlocked version. That might seem completely decoupled from reality as well, but it works. And it actually reflects perceived value.

I believe it is the same with BitShares. Perceived value of transferring $1M is higher than for $1. So why shouldn't you pay different amounts for development of the platform regardless of raw tx costs?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Resource-wise, a $2 transaction costs the same as a $1 transaction. So the current fee model is the most accurate.
What does "accurate" mean? There are two ways to approach this:
1. Tie tx fees to the network's actual costs.
2. Tie tx fees to perceived value of making the respective tx.
You have to ask why you would choose which approach.

Also, I don't want to pay 100x the fees for sending $100 as opposed to $1.
This makes sense from a customer's perspective. It doesn't make much sense form a business perspective. Any business, also Bitshares has to be as profitable as possible and you do that most efficiently by making the following ratio is as positive as possible: money made per customer interaction / degree to which the fee/price bothers the customer. The latter also has to include how likely it is that the respective customer will use some competing business, so at best you are as expensive as possible but as cheap as necessary to not drive people away from your business respectively to give them enough of an incentive to change from a competitor to you. The outcome of this equation might be that fees don't actually rise much if you transfer a lot of value because competitors out there (other crypto currencies) offer lower fees and high volume customers are valuable for your (exchange) business otherwise. But looking at it this way makes a lot of sense in general if you want to survive as a (decentralized) company. Money made from optimizing this equation then can be invested into your infrastructure (bitshares' workers for example).

Yeah, you're right.. it's about competition and perception. And it may work quite well for market orders.

But the sliding % scale sounds confusing.. wouldn't it be better to have a fixed % and a min fee? Or a tiered cost structure.

I still think for basic transfers, competition will soon drive the price very close to the true cost.
Also, in these cases it will not be possible:
 - UIA's of unknown value (so it would only work for liquid, tradeable assets)
 - Confidential tx's which hide the amount
Good point with the exceptions!

Offline roadscape

Resource-wise, a $2 transaction costs the same as a $1 transaction. So the current fee model is the most accurate.

This makes sense from a customer's perspective. It doesn't make much sense form a business perspective. Any business, also Bitshares has to be as profitable as possible and you do that most efficiently by making the following ratio is as positive as possible: money made per customer interaction / degree to which the fee/price bothers the customer. The latter also has to include how likely it is that the respective customer will use some competing business, so at best you are as expensive as possible but as cheap as necessary to not drive people away from your business respectively to give them enough of an incentive to change from a competitor to you. The outcome of this equation might be that fees don't actually rise much if you transfer a lot of value because competitors out there (other crypto currencies) offer lower fees and high volume customers are valuable for your (exchange) business otherwise. But looking at it this way makes a lot of sense in general if you want to survive as a (decentralized) company. Money made from optimizing this equation then can be invested into your infrastructure (bitshares' workers for example).

Yeah, you're right.. it's about competition and perception. And it may work quite well for market orders.

But the sliding % scale sounds confusing.. wouldn't it be better to have a fixed % and a min fee? Or a tiered cost structure.

I still think for basic transfers, competition will soon drive the price very close to the true cost.
Also, in these cases it will not be possible:
 - UIA's of unknown value (so it would only work for liquid, tradeable assets)
 - Confidential tx's which hide the amount
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
Make it so market makers get paid, and market takers pay %. This will create liquidity like crazy.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 03:35:38 pm by delulo »

Offline giant middle finger

• View Profile
Answer to the microtransaction dilemma :

create a "super poweruser" account