Author Topic: What to use for mining ?  (Read 3387 times)

Offline driver

• View Profile
Re: What to use for mining ?
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 02:57:35 am »
thank you for your informative replies

Offline PYneer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 04:16:59 pm »
Can you elaborate on the bolded portion?

CPU mining is slower in general so it takes awhile to get to a whole PTS to cashout. Since OP is just starting, I'm assuming he doesn't have any know about the mining process well enough and so start mining locally can give him a basic knowledge to use for potential cloud mining in terms of configuration or cost analysis.
BTC: 1RaWjtSo9CxGuraKm4ZUUMt6JoagYeoi7   PTS: PqvuS7V99h1HmguMq1ncy6ijMJ7NhU9kWM
Cryptsy   Vircurex

Offline progmac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 01:47:07 pm »
Just exactly what does this mean ? What is a droplet ?

a droplet is a virtual machine from Digital Ocean. The guide on protoshares.com shows one way to mine and it happens to be on the cloud. If this is your first time mining, then I suggest you start mining locally first to learn about the process and be comfortable with it before spending more money on it.

There are other "pools" you can join to mine with your processor (CPU). It's a bit slow until you get to 1 PTS but you will learn alot along the way.
I'm new to mining and successfully set up CPU mining protoshares and am using ypool. So far i've only mined about 0.2 over 5 days. Can you elaborate on the bolded portion?
if you want to support my incoherent ramblings
Bitshares PTS: PrziMMpXMMu948j5H7yvj3Ry8mnZBbsMYR

Offline joesmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 02:56:38 am »
Virtual machines are nice to play around with because you don't have to worry about messing up your main computer, don't need to worry about potentially trojan'd altcoin clients, etc. It also makes it very easy to start over from a fresh install incase you screw something up and aren't sure how to fix it.

Offline bitshirehashaway

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 02:56:04 am »
Try my guide. It allows you to manage stuff directly from Digital Point. Check it out: http://digitalcoindiscussion.com//index.php?topic=8.0

Offline PYneer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 02:42:24 am »

a droplet is a virtual machine from Digital Ocean. The guide on protoshares.com shows one way to mine and it happens to be on the cloud. If this is your first time mining, then I suggest you start mining locally first to learn about the process and be comfortable with it before spending more money on it.

There are other "pools" you can join to mine with your processor (CPU). It's a bit slow until you get to 1 PTS but you will learn alot along the way.
BTC: 1RaWjtSo9CxGuraKm4ZUUMt6JoagYeoi7   PTS: PqvuS7V99h1HmguMq1ncy6ijMJ7NhU9kWM
Cryptsy   Vircurex

Offline driver

• View Profile
What to use for mining ?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 01:11:50 am »
Okay so i read the mining guide . did not really understand most of it .

"C: Fire up a 2 CPU/2GB droplet, choose a location, and pick the latest Ubuntu Linux. "

" You now receive an email with an IP address and a password. Install Putty or use SSH and connect with your brand new virtual server. Accept the SSH key if Putty asks. "
 I f I am using a virtual machine to mine these coins then why do i need Linux and what would I install it on ?

The big question - What is this going to cost me per month or what ever to mine with this cloud based virtual machine ?