Author Topic: Code Academy Learning Path?  (Read 25329 times)

Offline fuzzy

@Fuzzy @All,

My comments below should not be viewed as downplaying the direction of this thread thus far.

I am personally more interested in learning the Graphine codebase than various frameworks. A daunting goal, as I'm not aware of a 'learning path' outlined for BitShares. I feel this community will benefit greatly from a deeper understanding of how the toolkit that BitShares revolves around functions.

I understand documentation exists in the form of blog posts, a wiki, and even sparsely within the code itself on various BitShares technology features. However, I feel a deeper dive and trace of the code will provide benefits to new potential developers looking to build solutions for the ecosystem and for existing advocates to speak intelligently about the features and functionality available.

How To Topics in a peer lead learning environment may include: using FC and its features, constructing a transaction and understanding its data structure, creating a multisig wallet, hierarchical account maintenance and various market functions.

I am willing to participate in this type of collaborative learning, though I am not qualified to lead the coursework. Surely I can assist outlining a ciriculum.

Best,
Fox

Though I fully agree with you, @Fox, I feel like we are unfortunately probably a good year away from having solid enough documentation for everything Graphene unless there is a strong initiative to push it forward.  I would LOVE to lead it, but unfortunately that would be an area too far out of my realm.  I have a solid high level understanding of tech (got an IT degree) but don't tinker too much in the deep stuff yet. 

Now with that said, this might also be an initiative that would be Brownie-licious.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 07:10:36 am by fuzzy »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline fuzzy

I am preparing to send out an email to all who were interested in this. 
Just wanted to let you all know I would like to be able to get permission to distribute some brownies to those who complete certain tasks that will benefit our ecosystem.  So if you are interested in this and think it would A) improve your motivation, B) improve your loyalty to building future tools and trinkets to improve bitshares, I would love if you would kindly consider sending BM (cc stan) with a message showing him the link to this post.  :)

I'll gladly disburse them until such a time as we can make it more decentralized (other volunteers who are better suited take my place).  Regardless, I don't think we need to take a specific path, but it could be helpful to have groups to talk about problems we each are having when we reach roadblocks. 

Tuck Fheman

Way 2 go dude!  I dunno what path is best for you, but those 6 squares are all excellent choices. Unless you're bored or want a change I think a good path is to continue on to the right and move to the next line when you finish javascript and jquery. All 3 of the first line are much more closely related than the items on the second line, all being a family of web development essentials. The second line is more generalized programming, tho php is highly web centric.

Any choice of the 6 is good, you've done well.

Cool, that's what I shall do, thanks!

Mind if I ask what age bracket are you in?

[age]Tuck Fheman[/age]  <-- this one currently.  ;)

Offline Thom

Which should I learn a little of next?

Way 2 go dude!  I dunno what path is best for you, but those 6 squares are all excellent choices. Unless you're bored or want a change I think a good path is to continue on to the right and move to the next line when you finish javascript and jquery. All 3 of the first line are much more closely related than the items on the second line, all being a family of web development essentials. The second line is more generalized programming, tho php is highly web centric.

Any choice of the 6 is good, you've done well.

Mind if I ask what age bracket are you in?
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Tuck Fheman

Which should I learn a little of next?

Tuck Fheman

watch out werld ima fuck some shit up now! i'm certified as, "knows enough to be dangerous".  :P

i haz 1 skillz  :-\

Offline fuzzy

@Fuzzy @All,

My comments below should not be viewed as downplaying the direction of this thread thus far.

I am personally more interested in learning the Graphine codebase than various frameworks. A daunting goal, as I'm not aware of a 'learning path' outlined for BitShares. I feel this community will benefit greatly from a deeper understanding of how the toolkit that BitShares revolves around functions.

I understand documentation exists in the form of blog posts, a wiki, and even sparsely within the code itself on various BitShares technology features. However, I feel a deeper dive and trace of the code will provide benefits to new potential developers looking to build solutions for the ecosystem and for existing advocates to speak intelligently about the features and functionality available.

How To Topics in a peer lead learning environment may include: using FC and its features, constructing a transaction and understanding its data structure, creating a multisig wallet, hierarchical account maintenance and various market functions.

I am willing to participate in this type of collaborative learning, though I am not qualified to lead the coursework. Surely I can assist outlining a ciriculum.

Best,
Fox

I think we are talking more about learning to code rather than learning to utilize graphene.  Many need the basics taught first before they can move on to making direct Bitshares programs.

This ^^

But fox is also on point when he says we need to have the availability of that material for those who are advanced enough to start wanting to mess around with it.  This is the first steps of that process imho.  Id like someone to run a "course" (aka a walkthrough) live to walk people through how to set up and update a delegate as well as a number of best practices.  I'd definitely be interested in getting someone to do that because as more DPoS chains start popping up I want the community to all have the opportunity to try to work for them in some way. 

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
@Fuzzy @All,

Best,
Fox

I think we are talking more about learning to code rather than learning to utilize graphene.  Many need the basics taught first before they can move on to making direct Bitshares programs.

Offline Fox

@Fuzzy @All,

Best,
Fox
Witness: fox

Offline fuzzy

I don't know a damn thing about coding. Would this be something I could join in on?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. The intention is to increase our own individual and collective intrinsic value to the space.  If we form groups and teams from it who share work and rewards on projects someday then that is even better. :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 04:05:34 am by fuzzy »

Offline emailtooaj

I don't know a damn thing about coding. Would this be something I could join in on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sound Editor of Beyondbitcoin Hangouts. Listen to latest here - https://beyondbitcoin.org support the Hangouts! BTS Tri-Fold Brochure https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,15169.0.html
Tip BROWNIE.PTS to EMAILTOOAJ

Offline fuzzy

I could give an introduction on how to use websockets with js if you are interested

I would very much appreciate that.

As would I. I'd also like to see an introduction to react.js.

Of course the area of focus needs to be catered to where on the coding learning curve everyone is. Fuzzy, have you published prerequisites to address that, or does code academy address that well? It seems like it would be difficult for participants to make much progress if some don't have even a basic level of understanding about programming like if-then-else, or what objects are or different approaches to programming in general like sequential / structured programming vs. an object oriented approach.

Nope not defined.  Anyone can join and learn what they want to learn, but we have a group that gets together so there are many participants who can help each other when one is stuck.  I think naturally some groups off varying levels of understanding will form

I personally have made basic websites, for instance, but I'm going to start at the beginning of html/css and then likely move to Javascript.  I'm going to start from the beginning. I'm actually also kicking around the idea of distributing a learning coin of some sort to those who join us, too.  It can be done based on the skill points and badges earned in codeacademy.com (why I asked if the other sites have point systems implemented).

Offline EstefanTT

Good point, we need to define where the learning starts, what is the basic knowledge require to be able to keep up from the beginning.
I know mine is not very deep so, depending on what are the basics,  I would have to study a bit before to start.
Bit20, the cryptocurrency index fund http://www.bittwenty.com
(BitShares French ConneXion - www.bitsharesfcx.com)

Offline Thom

I could give an introduction on how to use websockets with js if you are interested

I would very much appreciate that.

As would I. I'd also like to see an introduction to react.js.

Of course the area of focus needs to be catered to where on the coding learning curve everyone is. Fuzzy, have you published prerequisites to address that, or does code academy address that well? It seems like it would be difficult for participants to make much progress if some don't have even a basic level of understanding about programming like if-then-else, or what objects are or different approaches to programming in general like sequential / structured programming vs. an object oriented approach.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline JA

• View Profile
if you need the bbb server up just pm me
you need firefox and flash installed in order to use all functions....doesnt work eith chrome