Author Topic: What happened to the 30 million BTS  (Read 10337 times)

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
I for one am still pretty excited about what FMV is working on.  The sooner we have good tools for objective analysis of shareholder opinion the better.  We need to get away from the vocal mob approach.

As a member of the mob I fully agree. 

Taking anyone's funds from the new genesis block would be a huge mistake.  Making mistakes is part of life.  Too often people will point out those mistakes in an attempt to get you to continue making mistakes.  Props to bm for leaving the mistakes in the past where they belong.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Tuck Fheman

There have been many individuals whom have let me down since I started BitShares and these individuals have walked away with several hundred thousand dollars in total.    Some downright stole it, others failed to deliver as promised, etc.   Every company I have ever worked with has had individuals that were a net loss.    We try to avoid mistakes, but they will happen and for our own sanity it is best to let them go, learn from them, and do better next time.

Dwelling on the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" does nothing but destroy our future potential.

btdt

+5% +5% +5% +5%

Offline inarizushi

• View Profile
FMV is an exciting project, and if it works it WILL bring huge value to BitShares. If it doesn't, that's too bad, but it won't kill BitShares.
Giving 30 millions shares to Adam without asking guarantee in return was a mistake, but it was done during the merger and BitShares already paid the price for that. It's stupid and hurtful to bring that again, there is nothing to be done about it.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

Adam gave up his own blockchain to join BitShares.    Adam plans to sign up users for his voting platform and that would bring users to BitShares. 

If Adam builds a voting service around a set of user accounts other than BitShares accounts then he will have violated his end of the merger plan.

Changing the rules to steal someones stake will haunt our reputation for ever,  we learned from the merger how much damage that can do and do not wish to establish a precedent of doing it again.   

If the elected witnesses decide to block transfers from that balance then that is on them and the stakeholders that vote for them.   But I personally would rather accept responsibility for a past mistake than make a new mistake in the present.   

There have been many individuals whom have let me down since I started BitShares and these individuals have walked away with several hundred thousand dollars in total.    Some downright stole it, others failed to deliver as promised, etc.   Every company I have ever worked with has had individuals that were a net loss.    We try to avoid mistakes, but they will happen and for our own sanity it is best to let them go, learn from them, and do better next time.

Dwelling on the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" does nothing but destroy our future potential.
The best failure is failing forward.

Keep up the great work +5%
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
stupid thread!

the shares were giving for the merger. So far not much back into the BTS community. The only point for the merger is and was bytemasters expectations.

So we have to wait if it was worth anything. It is one more approach to get more users into the BTS Community so it will be good to see if this will work.

Adam can do what he wants to do with his shares.

Offline testz

/........./
But I personally would rather accept responsibility for a past mistake than make a new mistake in the present.   

Regarding my own life experience, this seems to be the right attitude  +5%

+5%
From my personal experience sometimes old "mistakes" brings huge advantages in the future.

Offline CalabiYau

/........./
But I personally would rather accept responsibility for a past mistake than make a new mistake in the present.   

Regarding my own life experience, this seems to be the right attitude  +5%

Offline bytemaster

Adam gave up his own blockchain to join BitShares.    Adam plans to sign up users for his voting platform and that would bring users to BitShares. 

If Adam builds a voting service around a set of user accounts other than BitShares accounts then he will have violated his end of the merger plan.

Changing the rules to steal someones stake will haunt our reputation for ever,  we learned from the merger how much damage that can do and do not wish to establish a precedent of doing it again.   

If the elected witnesses decide to block transfers from that balance then that is on them and the stakeholders that vote for them.   But I personally would rather accept responsibility for a past mistake than make a new mistake in the present.   

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
Follow my vote is actively developing a voting platform that will use bitshares network as the back end. 

Which will do more damage, arbitrarily changing the rules to take funds from Adam *OR* having Adam dump 20M BTS over the next year?

I believe that the dumping will do more damage, and you seem to be acknowledging thats what Adam is going to do - dump them.

No one here believes the voting platform is going to have any positive impact on BitShares. We just have your (valued) word for it as not even Adam is here explaining why its worthwhile. If Adam's voting platform is so good then why doesnt he have a delegate? But that would mean campaigning and actually communicating with the stakeholders which is not his style.

Its not an arbitrary change of rules - the community is finding concensus on a new genesis block and everyone is free to make their own if they think they can do a better job. Its an opportunity to fix past mistakes.

I remember adam being confused and offended when I asked how he planned to spend it on behalf of bitshares.

You asked Adam a legitimate question and he got offended? That says a lot.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 01:59:45 am by speedy »

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
It seems that BTS isnt falling towards the whales 1600 buy target fast enough, so newmine's whale masters have instructed him to reignite the fud attacks.

Seriously? He is right to bring this up.

Delete the still-to-be vested 30 million from the 2.0 genesis block, or this will haunt us for years.

No, delete a user's funds from the genesis block of 2.0 and completely kill the entire project.
This is the case regardless of whether you believe the 30M was a complete waste and will only be dumped, or whether you think FMV has value.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 01:43:51 am by Ander »

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Changing the rules to steal the funds from a particular user would completely kill BTS as a project forever.  No one would ever trust it again.

Which is exactly what newmine wants it seems.

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
I for one am still pretty excited about what FMV is working on.  The sooner we have good tools for objective analysis of shareholder opinion the better.  We need to get away from the vocal mob approach.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Follow my vote is actively developing a voting platform that will use bitshares network as the back end. 

Which will do more damage, arbitrarily changing the rules to take funds from Adam *OR* having Adam dump 20M BTS over the next year?

I think the point of this thread is to say that the dumping would do more damage. Not saying I agree, I'm just here to give info.

You didn't answer the question of whether adam still considers it his *personal* BTS. If he does I think he can make more money by voluntarily burning a large fraction of it because that information will help the market cap that much.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Also I remember it not being designated for marketing but rather being a trade for Adam's marketing team's involvement, ie the BTS is FMV's to do with as they please, and in exchange they work on BTS marketing. I remember adam being confused and offended when I asked how he planned to spend it on behalf of bitshares. Actually now I remember there was later a move to appease when he gave a token percentage to top community marketers.

Has this changed? What is the designated purpose of those BTS?
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.