Author Topic: Memberships and sub.accounts in Bitshares 2.0  (Read 3588 times)

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
Looks like a big change, which is confusing. Can we just stop supporting creating names with dot(s) in 2.0?
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline bobmaloney

The concept of "sub account" means that authority and control were based upon TWO different factors which complicated the code and could not be easily enforced.

So there is no longer the concept of "sub account" only account names with "." in them and there is no relationship between the child / parent in the naming scheme.
Does this mean I can register "foo.bar" without owning "bar"?

@bytemaster

Is the case?

Or does the original account owner have to initiate the creation and then sell/trade the "." account?

"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline bytemaster

If accounts can be traded, will there be something in rep system to let ppl know when that happens? This will let ppl know that an account with a good rep may longer have the same owner?

Yes. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Pheonike

If accounts can be traded, will there be something in rep system to let ppl know when that happens? This will let ppl know that an account with a good rep may longer have the same owner?

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
The concept of "sub account" means that authority and control were based upon TWO different factors which complicated the code and could not be easily enforced.

So there is no longer the concept of "sub account" only account names with "." in them and there is no relationship between the child / parent in the naming scheme.

that's how I read it

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline bytemaster

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Does this mean fanboy.bitshares could eventually be owned by somebody like
Preston Byrne and the owner of bitshares would have no ability to revoke it?
I think that is what BM is saying, yes!

Have the sub.accounts (as practiced in 1.0) been abandoned for technical reasons
or is it being traded for the ability to have a transferable DNS-type system?
None of the above. Subaccounts are still available, but they are now
transferable which means that the parent may opt-out any permissions about the
subaccount.

If so, I would argue that, being primarily a financially focused platform - more
importance lay in being able to reliably assume approved relationships between
parent/child accounts - much like domain names in relation to email addresses
(such as fanboy.bitshares and bitshares OR dan@cryptonomex.com and
cryptonomex.com) - than lay in being able to resell or transfer sub.account
style names, which would seem to behave more like TLD's.
Once you transfer owner ship all ties are cut by the protocol. It's like you
start with a plain empty account. If one day there is a reputational system
integrated, you will essentially lose your rep. once you transfer the account.

Offline bobmaloney

Because accounts are transferrable and we already have "parent/child" relationships via the owner/active authorities the concept of "subaccounts" has become meaningless.

A sub-account use to mean... "dan.bitshares" was owned by bitshares for ever and always.   Under graphene the control of "dan.bitshares" is transferrable and therefore no relationship between "dan.bitshares" and "bitshares" can be said to exist.

With some clever GUI designs we can show that account "dan.bitshares" has an "owner authority" of "bitshares".   But "dan.bitshares" might also be owned by account "cryptonomex" or perhaps a multi-sig authority.

I'm confused about this.

Does this mean fanboy.bitshares could eventually be owned by somebody like Preston Byrne and the owner of bitshares would have no ability to revoke it?

Have the sub.accounts (as practiced in 1.0) been abandoned for technical reasons or is it being traded for the ability to have a transferable DNS-type system?

If so, I would argue that, being primarily a financially focused platform - more importance lay in being able to reliably assume approved relationships between parent/child accounts - much like domain names in relation to email addresses (such as fanboy.bitshares and bitshares OR dan@cryptonomex.com and cryptonomex.com) - than lay in being able to resell or transfer sub.account style names, which would seem to behave more like TLD's.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 06:12:36 pm by bobmaloney »
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline bytemaster

Because accounts are transferrable and we already have "parent/child" relationships via the owner/active authorities the concept of "subaccounts" has become meaningless.

A sub-account use to mean... "dan.bitshares" was owned by bitshares for ever and always.   Under graphene the control of "dan.bitshares" is transferrable and therefore no relationship between "dan.bitshares" and "bitshares" can be said to exist.

With some clever GUI designs we can show that account "dan.bitshares" has an "owner authority" of "bitshares".   But "dan.bitshares" might also be owned by account "cryptonomex" or perhaps a multi-sig authority.

Offline mint chocolate chip

How will the ability to transfer accounts play into this as well?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Still a good questions what the mechanics between parent and child accounts will be.
@bytemaster?

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
If the root account signs up all of its sub accounts, then their fees will be paid to the root account anyway, so it may not matter so much if they aren't premium.

Offline bobmaloney

- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline bobmaloney

Are sub.accounts going to be possible in 2.0?

If so:

1a. Will the premium account of "maloney" offer a premium umbrella for its sub.accounts, or will each sub.account need to purchase a premium account (ie- bob.maloney, cousin-eddie.maloney, bills.maloney, savings.maloney)

2. What if I own a business? (ie- larrypage.google down to the lowly employees... thx1138.google)

3. Would it be possible to develop a method to determine between personal/family and business accounts? (Maybe the total # of sub.accounts available?)

A little outside the box and into the more distant future:

Could it ever be possible for an account owner to grant permissions for sub.accounts to be generated where the original account owner would not have access to the sub.accounts private key? (some kind of non-hierarchical structure would be required, I assume)

Maybe with the ability of the original account holder to remove the sub.account if abusive, but have the assets of that sub.account sent to another predetermined account (preset by the sub.accounts creator) upon close by original account owner.
- Jack Handey (SNL)