Author Topic: Do you guys think your community is actively larger than...  (Read 5902 times)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
i begin to think we should a create cost/worker proposal
It would be a pleasure to assist on designing a banner …
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline NewMine

• View Profile
it's not about going to other crypto subs, they hate every other coin that's not theirs to the bones. it's about booking cheap ads on reddit and catch some not-so-crypto people. BitCurr is our door to get some attention from normal people

Exactly.

This ad got a lot of people over to r /bitcoin over 2-3years ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/18smyy/ideas_for_rbitcoin_ads/c8hmtr2?context=3

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
it's not about going to other crypto subs, they hate every other coin that's not theirs to the bones. it's about booking cheap ads on reddit and catch some not-so-crypto people. BitCurr is our door to get some attention from normal people

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
We've tried Reddit here and there, but the crypto subs are a tough nut to crack. As far as appealing to other folks, it's been difficult to market this without a real product. That will come soon and so will the marketing. I would argue that our Reddit sub has not been the go-to place for BitShares members simply because we have a more active forum than most coins, and that is largely a credit to bytemaster and the dev team for keeping the community in the loop here and involving us in many of the most important decisions. Yes, it would be nice to have a more robust sub on Reddit, but I'd rather have a good forum. Soon, people will be finding this through Google, etc., and anyone doing their due diligence will see there's a lot more substance here than just a few Reddit threads. I continue to post on Reddit with hopes that we can have both.

Offline BTSdac

• View Profile
  • BitShares: K1

With the 2.0 launch we should make reddit a more active place. Like it or not, alot of people go reddit to find out information first because they are usually already in reddit. I know I become a lot more active in Bitcoin initially because of reddit.
+5%
reddit is a good gate for many new people
github.com :pureland
BTS2.0 API :ws://139.196.37.179:8091
BTS2.0 API 数据源ws://139.196.37.179:8091

Offline testz

You are absolutely right about BitShares marketing.
But what is reddit.com who read it. Russians and Chineses did not read rabbit.  :)

This is a good comparison:
http://www.googlefight.com/bitshares-vs-vertcoin.php

Don't act like you don't know what reddit is.

Sure I know what is reddit, but it's true that no one from my environment reading it (including me), so I can't count Reddit as valuable marketing resource but sure we should use any possible way to explain what is BitShares and what it's can give to...

Offline NewMine

• View Profile
The ratio of a coin's popularity on reddit compared to its overall userbase is directly proportional to how simple the coin is.

For example: Dogecoin is breaindead simple.  It does nothing, and its about pictures of dogs.  Reddit loves it.

Dogecoin is popular because of changetip not because it is brain dead simple.
Bitshares is way too complicated and over the heads of almost everyone, most especially random people on reddit.  Thus we have no traciton there.

The future of Bitshares is not to appeal to mass adoption, I think,  No typical man on the street is ever going to get their head around market pegged assets, shorting, collateral, smart contracts, etc, etc. 

The target audience of Bitshares is businesses, where some smart, technical people at the top can be shown the benefits of Bitshares, and how it saves/makes them money, and then they adopt it as the backend of their platform.  Then they drive users to it, users who have never heard of Bitshares and never will.

Everyman should be your target. The pegged assets should be so reliable, so trusted, tat nobody has to think about them in a complex way.

Right now you are saying your target demographic is so small that I am surprised you have any faith at all. You keep justifying adoption to a smaller and smaller segment of the crypto interested world. And then some of you try to claim that you don't even need the crypto community.

People tried marketing to average people last fall, it didnt work.  The dev team correctly pivoted and identified the target audience that could actually adopt bitshares, and the way to bring them on board, and have them bring in their users (the referral program). 

I missed that marketing push. Link?

The past year+ was about trial and error, and the Bitshares team correctly learned form their mistakes.  That can be seen in the design of 2.0.  BTS 2.0 will succeed through business partnerships, not average joes.  It doesnt need average joes, it merely needs to attract businesses who have their own customers to jump on board and bring their customers with them.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
If the Chinese and Russian communities are really as large as what is touted here, then perhaps they are failing and the US/European markets should be stirred. I mean Vertcoin has no business anywhere outside of a dumpster and it's chugging along with more us/European users than Bitshares.

The Chinese community was actually very large by comparison to other communities.

However look if you look at the frequency of posts now https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/board,4.0.html vs. the same time a year ago, you'll see there's been a big change https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/board,4.1320.html

Regards reddit, the active community here is not that big and BitShares is not that popular due to frequent changes & price decline.
Our forum activity compared to others though is at least pretty good.

2.0 and related work is pretty impressive imo. So once that's out there with the referral programme, you might see some people coming back and more effort made by  marketers on Reddit/Twitter etc.

What's also positive is the big volume BTS recently did on Poloniex, A US based exchange vs. BTS/PTS etc. trading being mostly Chinese based previously.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 09:33:52 pm by Empirical1.2 »
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
The ratio of a coin's popularity on reddit compared to its overall userbase is directly proportional to how simple the coin is.

For example: Dogecoin is breaindead simple.  It does nothing, and its about pictures of dogs.  Reddit loves it.

Bitshares is way too complicated and over the heads of almost everyone, most especially random people on reddit.  Thus we have no traciton there.

The future of Bitshares is not to appeal to mass adoption, I think,  No typical man on the street is ever going to get their head around market pegged assets, shorting, collateral, smart contracts, etc, etc. 

The target audience of Bitshares is businesses, where some smart, technical people at the top can be shown the benefits of Bitshares, and how it saves/makes them money, and then they adopt it as the backend of their platform.  Then they drive users to it, users who have never heard of Bitshares and never will.

People tried marketing to average people last fall, it didnt work.  The dev team correctly pivoted and identified the target audience that could actually adopt bitshares, and the way to bring them on board, and have them bring in their users (the referral program). 

The past year+ was about trial and error, and the Bitshares team correctly learned form their mistakes.  That can be seen in the design of 2.0.  BTS 2.0 will succeed through business partnerships, not average joes.  It doesnt need average joes, it merely needs to attract businesses who have their own customers to jump on board and bring their customers with them.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Bitshares has no reddit presence.  Every single coin out there has a stronger reddit presence than Bitshares.

Those other coins do not have a forum like bitsharestalk.org.
This ..
also those stats say notging about quality .. just quantity ..

But doesn't quality bring quantity?
Is this so?

Offline NewMine

• View Profile
Bitshares has no reddit presence.  Every single coin out there has a stronger reddit presence than Bitshares.

Those other coins do not have a forum like bitsharestalk.org.
This ..
also those stats say notging about quality .. just quantity ..

But doesn't quality bring quantity? 

Offline mint chocolate chip

https://www.coingecko.com/

Here is a seldom looked at analysis of coins, Vertcoin has a better score than us in Community and Public Interest categories.

Offline NewMine

• View Profile
Do you guys think your community is actively larger than Vertcoin?

Have you excommunicated yourself?

For the record I think our community is a small number of active members. The price plunge really shook the tree.

I only did that to make you guys feel better. Since you wish or already consider me  not a part of your community.  But as long as I still have some BTS, I will be around.

Anyway, reddit is a huge web hub of the type of demographic users Bitshares needs. It's a good place to start marketing a year ago. If the Chinese and Russian communities are really as large as what is touted here, then perhaps they are failing and the US/European markets should be stirred. I mean Vertcoin has no business anywhere outside of a dumpster and it's chugging along with more us/European users than Bitshares.