Author Topic: Voter Apathy or Most Delegates = Not Worthy?  (Read 1705 times)

Offline phillyguy

BitShares has had this idea since inception that if incentives are aligned they will come. But who are they?

In the end, what happened instead was that people who initially participated in forum discussions and lurked around, ended up joining the core team, or starting a related project. Before coming, there was a process where they became BitShares, learning and arguing about the economical, political, and technical potential of this project, contributing their own knowledge and experience into the mix.

We have better incentives now, but I still suspect they are people who first have to become BitShares, and who then stand up and participate because they freely chose to do so, not because they are overwhelmingly compelled by profit. It is extremely difficult for a crypto-equity to align incentives in a way that makes it more profitable to work for them than to work where pay is best and then invest.

Just like BitShares understood over time that security is as much in the community and in reputation, I think we will understand more and more that getting people to participate is not just an economical calculation or a simple referral program, although it helps a great deal. Getting users, workers, witnesses, and delegates depends just as much on the "massively transformative purpose" we strive for, the developer experience, the forum liveliness and the characters involved, and many other intangible aspects of this project.

We should see everyone here as individuals first and homo-economicus second. In the end the economical aspect is in service of complex individuals who live with passion and purpose. The world is a big place, and we choose to be right here, right now, with each other and with this project, in all its gory matrimonios glory..

Well said!
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
BitShares has had this idea since inception that if incentives are aligned they will come. But who are they?

In the end, what happened instead was that people who initially participated in forum discussions and lurked around, ended up joining the core team, or starting a related project. Before coming, there was a process where they became BitShares, learning and arguing about the economical, political, and technical potential of this project, contributing their own knowledge and experience into the mix.

We have better incentives now, but I still suspect they are people who first have to become BitShares, and who then stand up and participate because they freely chose to do so, not because they are overwhelmingly compelled by profit. It is extremely difficult for a crypto-equity to align incentives in a way that makes it more profitable to work for them than to work where pay is best and then invest.

Just like BitShares understood over time that security is as much in the community and in reputation, I think we will understand more and more that getting people to participate is not just an economical calculation or a simple referral program, although it helps a great deal. Getting users, workers, witnesses, and delegates depends just as much on the "massively transformative purpose" we strive for, the developer experience, the forum liveliness and the characters involved, and many other intangible aspects of this project.

We should see everyone here as individuals first and homo-economicus second. In the end the economical aspect is in service of complex individuals who live with passion and purpose. The world is a big place, and we choose to be right here, right now, with each other and with this project, in all its gory matrimonios glory..

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

I think you are right about worthiness.

We don't have 101 that have stepped up.

Many will argue it is primarily because the pay has not been enough.

The redesign of bitshares 2.0 though seems to agree with the pay matter being the primary concern.

You get what you pay for.. and if the incentive doesn't attract real professionals then you are only lucking out with the ones you do attract that are for other reasons.. ie. ideals.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Tuck Fheman

So I see/hear all of the "voter apathy" discussions and I decided that I'd better check muhself before I "rekt" muhself and my voting surprised  me.

Originally I thought, "Oh damn, I've only voted for around 80 delegates".

But after a few minutes of browsing I noticed that was not the case. I simply had voted out over 200 delegates lol.

So, is "voter apathy" really an issue or is it that there are not enough worthy delegates? 

Apparently I need to find another 20 or so, but I'll be damned if I can.  :-\