Author Topic: why not release 0.9.3d to fix GUI bugs?  (Read 4869 times)

Offline sky

• View Profile
oh - shouldn't that info be available on the download page?
I didn't see any that is..

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
not sure what you mean with 'I decided..'?
I am a new user and downloaded the wallet from the official page to try it - I don't have any old wallets
and after waiting for hours for further chain download I have given up - it's stuck completely - or do you expect me to leave it waiting for days?

if you don't have any funds in your wallet, since you're new, don't sync up. it's the old client and will be replaced with 2.0 later today

Offline sky

• View Profile
not sure what you mean with 'I decided..'?
I am a new user and downloaded the wallet from the official page to try it - I don't have any old wallets
and after waiting for hours for further chain download I have given up - it's stuck completely - or do you expect me to leave it waiting for days?

« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 12:44:06 pm by sky »

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
It always get stuck after trying to sync just a few days - is this really supposed to happen on the day of official release?

no, you just decided to sync up 400 days. or did you address yourself with this question?

don't touch your client, it'll move on eventually

or

wait until I or someone else uploaded the full chain

Offline sky

• View Profile
I have tried for 8 hours to open and create new wallet (windows) - 400+ days of blockchain sync - and it will not succeed.
I think I have closed and opened wallet 15 times - always made sure no bitshares process was running before a new restart.
It always get stuck after trying to sync just a few days - is this really supposed to happen on the day of official release?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 12:40:45 pm by sky »

jakub

I did it with the full path and I can confirm the file was created. However I didn't run the client as admin beforehand, is that a problem?

I don't think it matters as long as the file was created. If admin rights were needed the file couldn't have been created.

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
Thanks jakub  +5%

I just wanted to sync because I've read somewhere you should send all your balance to yourself. Really simple and easy to follow guide from xeroc, thanks!

Edit: just tried the export command and apparently I can't find the file in the BitShares folder. Aftet the command I got the "OK" so everything should be fine but I can't find it.

I couldn't find the file either until I started using the full path as I described it here:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,18714.msg243224.html#msg243224

And regarding the requirement to fully sync before export - it's not so simple as I initially thought. Please read xeroc's explanation here:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,18714.msg243319.html#msg243319

I did it with the full path and I can confirm the file was created. However I didn't run the client as admin beforehand, is that a problem?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline xiahui135

• View Profile
this is a really big problem, though I know you tech guys will not think so.

jakub

Thanks jakub  +5%

I just wanted to sync because I've read somewhere you should send all your balance to yourself. Really simple and easy to follow guide from xeroc, thanks!

Edit: just tried the export command and apparently I can't find the file in the BitShares folder. Aftet the command I got the "OK" so everything should be fine but I can't find it.

I couldn't find the file either until I started using the full path as I described it here:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,18714.msg243224.html#msg243224

And regarding the requirement to fully sync before export - it's not so simple as I initially thought. Please read xeroc's explanation here:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,18714.msg243319.html#msg243319

Offline CalabiYau

Thanks jakub  +5%

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,18714.msg243152.html#msg243152

Offline Akado

• View Profile
Thanks jakub  +5%

« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 11:59:01 pm by Akado »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

jakub

How is it 100% scanned if it's missing the last 2 days? Or is it about the last time it scanned my transactions when it was synced 2 days ago?

I think there is no contradiction in being "100% scanned" and not fully synced.
I guess "100% scanned" only means that whatever part of the blockchain you've managed to sync, this part has been scanned. i.e. all transactions involving any of your accounts are reflected in the GUI.

And I guess the increasing time since the last sync means that the blockchain is growing with each new block but your wallet is stuck and for some reason is unable to sync the last two days that remain.

The ultimate solution (assuming you're on Windows) is to quit the GUI, make sure there is no BitShares.exe running, and delete this folder:
Code: [Select]
C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\BitShares\chainBut be aware that this will reset the whole blockchain and will force the sync process to start from scratch which may take several hours depending on your internet connection and the speed of your machine.

Whatever you do, you are safe as long as you do not lose this folder:
Code: [Select]
C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\BitShares\wallets
EDIT: and one more thing - if your only purpose is to export your wallet (aiming for 2.0 import) I think you do not need to be synced to able to do it. Just follow the instructions available here:
http://docs.bitshares.eu/migration/howto-exporting-wallet.html
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 02:21:01 pm by jakub »

Offline CalabiYau

I've letting the client sync for a while, however, it doesn't, the time since Last Block was Synced just keeps increasing instead of decreasing. Tried it yesterday and today but keeps happening. Maybe I just should let it be for a while? Or should I try something on the console?

If you are on Windows I can share what helped in my case:
- make sure there is only one BitShares.exe process running (sometimes as a result of relaunching after a crash there two or more such processes running and they interfere with each other)
- make sure there is enough space on your hard drive (the blockchain currently needs around 6 GB of space on the OS drive, i.e. the C: drive)
- try to restart the GUI as it might be the case the blockchain is already synced but only the GUI is stuck
This & :  wired connection works flawless, with wireless I never achieved a full sync "from zero"

Offline Akado

• View Profile
I've letting the client sync for a while, however, it doesn't, the time since Last Block was Synced just keeps increasing instead of decreasing. Tried it yesterday and today but keeps happening. Maybe I just should let it be for a while? Or should I try something on the console?

- make sure there is only one BitShares.exe process running (sometimes as a result of relaunching after a crash there two or more such processes running and they interfere with each other)
- make sure there is enough space on your hard drive (the blockchain currently needs around 6 GB of space on the OS drive, i.e. the C: drive)
- try to restart the GUI as it might be the case the blockchain is already synced but only the GUI is stuck

I only have 1 process running
There's enough space in my hard drive
I tried to restart it yesterday and today but this keeps happening

I type "info" on the console and I get

"blockchain_head_block_age": "58 hours old",
  "blockchain_head_block_timestamp": "2015-10-09T03:05:10",

Makes sense since it's increasing and is now last synced since 2 days ago, however I also get

"wallet_scan_progress": "100.00 %",

How is it 100% scanned if it's missing the last 2 days? Or is it about the last time it scanned my transactions when it was synced 2 days ago? Or is it about this

"wallet_last_scanned_block_timestamp": "2015-10-07T17:51:30" saying at that time it was 100% scanned?

jakub