Author Topic: cant create account fee_paying_account->is_lifetime_member():  (Read 4097 times)

Offline sirlo

• View Profile
I understand your confusion.  The original terms and conditions stated that normal (non-membership) accounts could create additional accounts without the benefit of siphoning the new accounts tx fees - as it turns out this was false.  The purpose of exporting keys in this case was to circumvent this change; I was trying to make a new account using the faucet since only premium/member accounts could create new accounts then import the newly generated account into my original wallet.  I DO NOT recommend this as the process corrupted my entire wallet.  Personally, I ended up just buying the premium membership.

Thanks for the explanation!  It was a bit of a brain teaser trying to see the logic, but I get it now...

I still have to do a bit more reading/digging around this forum, etc., to fully understand the pros and cons
of various aspects of this upgrade..e.g webwallet vs light wallet vs full desktop CLI..and obviously things are
still quite fluid at this early stage..so I appreciate learning from the explanation of your "experiments" so I don't
screw things up myself!  :-)  and I agree a lifetime membership seems to be the best option currently..

however given the long term nature of the BTS adventure..

I think about questions like  " Is a lifetime membership infinite like a corporation, if a user leaves their accounts/wallets as an income producing asset belonging to their estate?  Or does the membership end when a person's heart stops beating?  Hmm  I guess a "smart contract" is needed here somewhere..ha!  (Life experience with vexing probate makes one think like this..LOL)

Offline well.attenuated

I understand your confusion.  The original terms and conditions stated that normal (non-membership) accounts could create additional accounts without the benefit of siphoning the new accounts tx fees - as it turns out this was false.  The purpose of exporting keys in this case was to circumvent this change; I was trying to make a new account using the faucet since only premium/member accounts could create new accounts then import the newly generated account into my original wallet.  I DO NOT recommend this as the process corrupted my entire wallet.  Personally, I ended up just buying the premium membership.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline sirlo

• View Profile
Is there a way to export the private keys from that new account so it can be imported into the users main wallet?

Just curious...I am trying to study and understand the rules of account registration and referrals, etc.,among all the other things in BTS 2.0..

I maybe missing something but.

Wouldn't the purpose of exporting a private key be for security purposes..??  (i.e. like a cold storage/ paper wallet like in BTC?

Why import the private key from a new wallet back into an already existing user's main wallet (CLI or webwallet)?
It just moves the balance of the assets out of one wallet into another no?  Is the webwallet a higher security risk?

Isn't that the same as sending a stealth transaction from Wallet A to Wallet B?
Can't BALANCES be concealed by simply making stealth transactions? 

I've been searching for a thread that shows how much a lifetime membership costs?  is it $100?

Thanks..

EDIT:  I've done a bit more reading so it seems like a life membership costs ~ $50.00  ...
but I couldn't create an account with premium name with the openledger dot info wallet?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:57:58 pm by sirlo »

jakub

Is there a way to upgrade the account to lifetime member from the javascript console? The membership upgrade button in the GUI doesn't work for me.
Reload the URL in the browser and try again.
Sometimes the GUI stops working due to some earlier errors (which can be seen in the javascript console).

Offline well.attenuated

Is there a way to upgrade the account to lifetime member from the javascript console? The membership upgrade button in the GUI doesn't work for me.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline well.attenuated

great, that's exactly what i was looking for. Thanks!

Offline mindphlux

• View Profile
The option to export a private key is still missing, but it's planned to add it. In the meantime, you can do this:

In the javascript console of your browser type, when the wallet is unlocked

WalletDb.getPrivateKey(PublicKey.fromPublicKeyString("BTS...")).toWif()

Where BTS is your owner public key. This can be imported into the CLI wallet or another web wallet.
Please consider voting for my witness mindphlux.witness and my committee user mindphlux. I will not vote for changes that affect witness pay.

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Create a new account using a different/new webwallet.. faucet pays for your account

Then make a stealth transaction to said account, and you're done.

Stealth/blinded transactions are not available yet, but will be soon

No risk of key leakage from using an online (web) wallet? Malicious javascript ?

Offline well.attenuated

Is there a way to export the private keys from that new account so it can be imported into the users main wallet?

Offline mindphlux

• View Profile
Create a new account using a different/new webwallet.. faucet pays for your account

Then make a stealth transaction to said account, and you're done.

Stealth/blinded transactions are not available yet, but will be soon
Please consider voting for my witness mindphlux.witness and my committee user mindphlux. I will not vote for changes that affect witness pay.

Offline karnal

• View Profile
We have been told that the only way to conceal our full balances is to have a separate anonymous account but can apparently only register an additional account if we are a lifetime member?  If so, this should be added to the membership information page as a perk of membership; it is much more significant than cash back on some fees.

Yeah.. if someone wants to reg a new account and doesn't want them linked, what are the options now?

Offline ByronP

• View Profile
This should definitely be noted under memberships

Offline mindphlux

• View Profile
The reason why a a normal user cannot create an additional account is the existance of a referer account. Any account you create automatically gets 80% of all the fees of this new account. The system has no ability to know if you're creating an account for yourself or someone else, hence there is this limitation
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 11:52:11 am by mindphlux »

Offline ByronP

• View Profile
None of this makes any sense :-(

Why would the system care what account is paying?

Offline well.attenuated

Someone should probably also update the terms and conditions of the referral program (other than the obvious grammatical errors) as it reads now it states that standard users have the ability to create accounts:

"Any User can also be a Registrar by create an account for a friend; however, their friends account will be configured to have the same Registrar and Referrer settings as the User."