Author Topic: Stop loaning your Bitshares for shorts  (Read 2592 times)

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

Hit the borrow button in top right under the on the exchange tab.
borrow the bitassets and buy BTS?
no .. the other way round .. you borrow bitUSD (or bitCNY ...) using BTS as collateral
Both are correct... or am I wrong?  ???

1) Opening a short:
You borrow "the bitasset", "bitUSD" (using BTS as collateral) and then buy BTS (AKA sell borrowed "bitasset" for BTS)

2) Closing a short:
You buy back what you borrowed, hopefully for less BTS than you sold it for,  and hit the "close" button on account view to give "the asset" back to the blockchain

3) Profit?
If you (1) sold higher than you (2) bought back, you have more BTS than before step n°1  :)
If you (1) sold lower than you (2) bought back, you have less BTS than before step n°1  :(

Hope it helps  :D

+5%

sure it helps!

Offline DestBest

no .. the other way round .. you borrow bitUSD (or bitCNY ...) using BTS as collateral
Both are correct... or am I wrong?  ???

1) Opening a short:
You borrow "the bitasset", "bitUSD" (using BTS as collateral) and then buy BTS (AKA sell borrowed "bitasset" for BTS)

2) Closing a short:
You buy back what you borrowed, hopefully for less BTS than you sold it for,  and hit the "close" button on account view to give "the asset" back to the blockchain

3) Profit?
If you (1) sold higher than you (2) bought back, you have more BTS than before step n°1  :)
If you (1) sold lower than you (2) bought back, you have less BTS than before step n°1  :(

Hope it helps  :D
BitShares French ConneXion, le portail francophone BitShares.
BitShares French ConneXion, the BitShares french gateway.
www.bitsharesfcx.com

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline lzr1900

• View Profile

Offline Pheonike

Offline lzr1900

• View Profile
I started shorting on the DEX for now. I just keep 3.5x or more collateral for now. I'm still long on POLO too. I stop loaning on POLO a while ago when I saw it was driving the price down.
how to shorting bitasset on DEX in 2.0??

Offline Pheonike

I started shorting on the DEX for now. I just keep 3.5x or more collateral for now. I'm still long on POLO too. I stop loaning on POLO a while ago when I saw it was driving the price down.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
well since i am a bts bull i would love to short some bitassets in our DEX but unfortunately the low liquidity, the high premium for the bitassets and the new shorting rules which i have no idea how they work and what all these prices mean (we definitely need new tutorial videos) leaves  me no other choice but to send my bts to polo and go margin long there, which is very risky since I already got margin called and I risk to get again and again...

So eventually, I lending my bts to Polo in order for me to take a leverage long position on BTS and I am pretty sure that Polobots then use those bts to drive the price down..How sick is that??

Offline Riverhead

IMHO the price per BTS will rise when business partnerships start to drive demand. Until then it's just crypto day traders sloshing funds here and there based on perceived trends to turn a quick buck.

If the actions of those loaning BTS is driving the price down then I am all for it. It creates a great buying opportunity for long term holders.

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
I agree, but what % of BTS being sold to drive down the market is from shorts, and what % is just from whales which no one can do anything about?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
what do you mean by "loaning" bitshares?
I think he is talking about loaning bts at poloniex .. which is very different from loaning it to the bts network as collateral for bitassets ..

Offline Marketorder

• View Profile
People who use there Balance in Bitshares to supply margin for the exchanges. They gain a few pence per day in interest which is nothing and long term they will never make any profit. People who use there balance to supply margin make it hard for the price of the coin to go up. In exchange for earning a few pence per day they make it impossible for them or anyone else to make a profit long term

Offline fuzzy

WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Marketorder

• View Profile
Theirs allot of people bitching on here about the price. I have a simple solution, stop loaning your Bitshares so people can short it!!!! The interest your earning is so small you'll never turn a decent profit. If everyone stops loaning Bitshares for shorts then the price will jump higher!  So if you're loaning your Bitshares your contributing to the price problem and making sure no one makes money including yourself! Seems like a dumb think to do is to contribute to the decline of price when you hold BTS I mean it's a conflict of interest loaning BTS, think about it!!!