Author Topic: [Guide][800cpm] Mining Protoshares on AWS with ypool.net  (Read 9047 times)

Offline K20

• View Profile
[Guide][800cpm] Mining Protoshares on AWS with ypool.net
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 09:35:19 am »
This guide will teach you how to use Amazon Web Services to mine Protoshares with ypool.

This first part of this guide will be very similar to Lord FireFox's AWS Guide, probably up to about Step 9.  You can find the guide at the link below, however I will put the content here too with some changes:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pPjVvNCDMeUwDBd4M9ysH8O-Ogu_Ca2J0HkOAW20ZRk/edit

Software
Some software you will need to download and install:
WinSCP: http://winscp.net/eng/index.php
PuTTY: https://blog.splunk.net/64bit-putty/ You will want the Windows Installer with Everything because you will be using PuTTYgen.

Get your Amazon AWS set up:
Step 1. Sign up for a free Amazon AWS. Don't worry we won't be using the freebie options.

Step 2. Credit your account. The $100 promo credit will work just fine. http://aws.amazon.com/big-data/powerof60/

Step 3. Buy an Amazon AWS EC2 Spot Instance. Try to get a good price. $0.50 seems to work reasonable well.

A. Click on Services and go to EC2 dashboard.

B. Click the Launch Instance button.

C. Select Ubuntu Server 12.04.3 LTS for HVM Instances , make sure the 64-bit option is selected and then click the Select button.

D. On the “2. Choose Instance Type” page you want to select Compute Optimized.

E. Click on cc2.8xlarge. Then click the button labeled “Next: Configure Instance Details”.

F. Since we're testing this instance we only need 1.

G. Put a checkmark in the “Request Spot Instances” option. Enter your Maximum price per hour for “Maximum price”. Refer to the table above to look at the current rates.Leave everything else as default. Then click “Next: Add Storage”.

H. Leave Storage as default.

I. Click on “Next: Tag Instance”. Give it a meaningful name (example: PROTOSHARES).

J. Click on “Next: Configure Security Group” Give it a meaningful name (the default names work just fine) and configure it for your IP only. Under Source click the Drop-down box labeled “Anywhere” and change it to “My IP” and enter your IP address. Leave everything else default.

[NOTE: If you're on a Dynamic IP host (your ISP uses Dynamic IP Network) You will have to leave it set to “Anywhere” otherwise you will have problems accessing it later. I haven't tested it but you might be able to work around this with a free DynDNS service.]

K. You will get a warning on the next screen saying that this setup doesn't qualify for the Free AWS version. You can ignore this warning if you successfully received the AWS $100 credit. At this point you will get a dialog wanting you to create a private key ( YOU WILL NEED THIS), follow the instructions and make sure to save your key to your local hard drive or thumb drive somewhere in a directory you can find later because you're going to need it.

L. Click “Launch” Button and wait. You will be taken to the “Spot Requests” Screen If your Spot Request is accepted it will take a bit for it to be configured and then it will turn Green indicating it's now running. You can then click on the “instances” link on the left and view the EC2 instance running.

Step 4. Now on to the “fun” Linux stuff; Make sure you copy/paste into a Notepad or Wordpad document, because we're going to need these later:

A. The ID of the Instance from the Instance ID column.

B. The Public DNS name of the instance from the Public DNS column.

Step 5. The private key we got from earlier needs to be converted to a file PuTTY can use.

A. Start PuTTYgen from the start menu (you did remember to install PuTTY right?).

B. Under “Type of key to generate”, select “SSH-2 RSA”.

C. Click “Load” and select the option to display files of all types.

D. Select your private key .pem file (located where you saved it earlier). Click “Open” and then click “OK” on the confirmation dialog box.

E. Click “Save private key” to save your key in a format PuTTY can use. You will of course get a warning dialog saying that you're saving it without a passphrase, you can go ahead and ignore this because if you use a passphrase you cannot use any automated scripts to log in to your Instance. Just click “Yes”

F. VERY IMPORTANT! Use the same name for the key that you used for the key pair (example: my-key-pair). PuTTY automatically adds its .ppk file extension.

Step 6. Start PuTTY from the start menu.

Step 7. In the Category pane, select “Session”

A. In the Host name field enter user_name@public_dns_name. Make sure you're using the right user name for your AMI. For Example since we're on an Ubuntu instance the user name is ubuntu. So in this field you put ubuntu@<insert your public DNS name you copied to Notepad from Step 4 earlier>.

B. Under “Connection Type”, select SSH

C. Leave the port number at 22.

Step 8. Back in the Category pane, expand SSH, and then select Auth.

A. Click the “Browse” button.

B. Select the .ppk file that we generated with PuTTYgen earlier, and then click “Open”.

C. It's optional but recommended to save the session information for future use. Select “Session” in the “Category” tree, enter a name for the session in “Saved Sessions”, click the “Save” button and you're done.

D. Click the “Open” button and you will start your PuTTY session. HOORAY! LINUX!

Step 9. You will get a security alert asking if you trust the host you're connecting to just click “Yes”.

Step 10: Download yvg19000's yam by typing the following:
wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28534583/yam-yvg1900-M7i-linux64-sandy-bridge.tgz

Step 11:  Unzip the miner by typing the following:
tar xvf yam-yvg1900-M7i-linux64-sandy-bridge.tgz

Step 12: Navigate to yam with the following command:
cd yam-yvg1900-M7i-linux64-sandy-bridge/linux64-sandy-bridge/

Step 13:  Now you need to run yam with your ypool details like follows and be sure to change the parts in blue:
./yam -M xpt2h://<username>.<miner>:<password>@mining.ypool.net:10034:8080:8081:8082:8083:8084:8085:8086:8087/pts -P pts:av=0  -P pts:m=2048

All going well, you should start to see the miner working and your PTS appearing in ypool.

If this has been helpful and you wish to donate, please send PTS to Pt9XNjs3CXEzQ5p3RFh68nfb9upGBtYpzh
Donations
PTS: Pt9XNjs3CXEzQ5p3RFh68nfb9upGBtYpzh