Author Topic: Charles Hoskinson on Virgin Media talking about Cryptocurrencies  (Read 10496 times)

IOHKCharles

I really don't think that's a fair characterization. BitShares has a history of making extraordinary claims without the requisite formal analysis. Many of the projects I mentioned have been upfront with stating they are experiments not meant for mission-critical use.

Bitshares has claimed the opposite positioning itself for enterprise use. Naturally this requires a lot more due diligence. To this date I still maintain that the core value proposition of your community that is the notion of a value stable currency needs to be academically vetted. 

There are more than a dozen formal papers on ethereum since it came out. A lot of people are studying it and trying to improve the model. Nothing on BitUSD. Nothing on DPoS. This is a shame because they are topics that need study and evolution outside of the mind of one person who is often wrong.

jakub

I didn't mention bitshares for two reasons. First I haven't reviewed the technology in bitshares 2. I haven't seen formal technical documentation nor have I looked at the code. Second, I have to review the license structure. I remember when bitshares 2 was announced it wasn't under a proper FLOSS license. I cannot recommend a technology that is owned by or controlled by a single entity.
That's even more funny.
That would mean that all the 20-30 projects that you did mention have documentation richer than this, none of them is proprietary and you do recommend all of them.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 04:56:39 pm by jakub »

IOHKCharles

I didn't mention bitshares for two reasons. First I haven't reviewed the technology in bitshares 2. I haven't seen formal technical documentation nor have I looked at the code. Second, I have to review the license structure. I remember when bitshares 2 was announced it wasn't under a proper FLOSS license. I cannot recommend a technology that is owned by or controlled by a single entity.

jakub

As always, a very interesting talk and perfectly delivered. I really enjoyed it as your talking skills are unquestionable.

But one little thing is quite funny here...

For about 20 minutes, you managed to give a very detailed and extensive overview of the current landscape of the crypto-world (including the significance of a decentralized exchange and problems with blockchain governance) and mention about 20-30 project names, yet you also managed not to refer to BitShares (or Graphene) a single time. Not even once.

And then you talked for a couple of minutes about the need for unforgeable decentralized digital voting system, yet not a single mention of FMV.

Those omissions are quite funny. Especially that you've chosen to be part of this forum, not any other from quite a few available.
I hate to think it's intentional. I also hate to think you consider BitShares so insignificant. But to be honest I don't know what to think apart that it's a quite funny situation.

One correction: actually the name BitShares appeared once during your show - and it was uttered in the very beginning by the journalist interviewing you.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 04:34:33 pm by jakub »

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
https://soundcloud.com/virginpodcast/charles-hoskinson

soundcloud section on site doesn't work for me .. here the direct link to soundcloud if anyone else is facing same problems
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian
Tomorrow I shall listen to this and 'Security Now!'. Thanks for the heads-up.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Fox

Witness: fox