Author Topic: Best way to close open short positions from 1.0 migration?  (Read 4401 times)

Offline cylonmaker2053

• Saving the world one block at a time
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cylonmaker2053
The main benefit is that you get 80% of the fees that pay back. When you are on your account page in the web wallet, there is a link for membership in the left hand side. That page will give a little description about the membership as well as the cost. There is also a yearly membership but that has less cash back.

cool, i'll check it out. if Bitshares has a decent future (which i hope it does and am putting my money where my hopes are!), it seems like a LT membership now is a great investment.

Offline lafona

• View Profile
  • BitShares: lafona
The main benefit is that you get 80% of the fees that pay back. When you are on your account page in the web wallet, there is a link for membership in the left hand side. That page will give a little description about the membership as well as the cost. There is also a yearly membership but that has less cash back.
BTS Witnesses: delegate-1.lafona     Witness Thread: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,21569.msg280911/topicseen.html#msg280911
MUSE Witness: lafona

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
After migrating my wallet to the 2.0 GUI i'm sitting on about a dozen open short positions from 1.0.

How can we get rid of these account's after we have close our positions and we don't need them anymore?
I remember @ the beginning we could just "unfollow" them (of course that was dangerous because we could accidentally loose track of our open positions)...
is it possible the system unfollow's them automatically when the position is closed and is empty of funds?

i'm also interested in how to remove closed collateral positions. i already have about a dozen cluttering up my Dashboard and would rather not have 100+ floating around that are closed over the coming months.

Once you close the margin position and send the collateral to your main account, I would just create new shorts in that account. Actually it would just be creating one short in your main account and then updating the position to add/remove collateral or debt. The nice thing is you only have one margin order per asset to keep track of. Also if you have a lifetime membership, then the transactions in your main account will benefit from this. Once you set up the margin position in your main account you can monitor all your positions for various assets in your account overview screen. Hope this helps

newb question: how do i get a lifetime membership? and what are the benefits?

Offline lafona

• View Profile
  • BitShares: lafona
After migrating my wallet to the 2.0 GUI i'm sitting on about a dozen open short positions from 1.0.

How can we get rid of these account's after we have close our positions and we don't need them anymore?
I remember @ the beginning we could just "unfollow" them (of course that was dangerous because we could accidentally loose track of our open positions)...
is it possible the system unfollow's them automatically when the position is closed and is empty of funds?

i'm also interested in how to remove closed collateral positions. i already have about a dozen cluttering up my Dashboard and would rather not have 100+ floating around that are closed over the coming months.

Once you close the margin position and send the collateral to your main account, I would just create new shorts in that account. Actually it would just be creating one short in your main account and then updating the position to add/remove collateral or debt. The nice thing is you only have one margin order per asset to keep track of. Also if you have a lifetime membership, then the transactions in your main account will benefit from this. Once you set up the margin position in your main account you can monitor all your positions for various assets in your account overview screen. Hope this helps
BTS Witnesses: delegate-1.lafona     Witness Thread: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,21569.msg280911/topicseen.html#msg280911
MUSE Witness: lafona

Offline svk

it's not that...when i dip the slider below 1.95 collateral, the "Update" button goes dark indicating that an unallowable option. i've tried in both Safari and Firefox, so it's not a browser issue.

If you want to use the "Update position" dialog you can set debt and collateral to 0 in order to close your position, don't use the slider.

However, like Troglodactyl says, the easiest way to close a position is to simply click the "Close position" button.

neither option works unless you have the required asset amount in that collateral account to pay it off. i guess my real question is why these short positions aren't linked to my primary wallet? it seems like an awful waste of fees and time to transfer funds to the collateral position, close it out, and then transfer funds back to my primary wallet. is this just for legacy 1.0 shorts? i'm guessing that if i opened a short in 2.0 all debits and credits would remain in that short account?

Not sure what the technical reason for that was, but all open short orders in BTS 1 were converted to xxx-collateral-holder-x accounts in the 2.0 genesis file.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
it's not that...when i dip the slider below 1.95 collateral, the "Update" button goes dark indicating that an unallowable option. i've tried in both Safari and Firefox, so it's not a browser issue.

If you want to use the "Update position" dialog you can set debt and collateral to 0 in order to close your position, don't use the slider.

However, like Troglodactyl says, the easiest way to close a position is to simply click the "Close position" button.

neither option works unless you have the required asset amount in that collateral account to pay it off. i guess my real question is why these short positions aren't linked to my primary wallet? it seems like an awful waste of fees and time to transfer funds to the collateral position, close it out, and then transfer funds back to my primary wallet. is this just for legacy 1.0 shorts? i'm guessing that if i opened a short in 2.0 all debits and credits would remain in that short account?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline svk

@svk .. maybe we can have a checkbox to hide empty accounts?

Yea, I'll see if we can add this in the settings maybe, won't be top priority atm though.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
@svk .. maybe we can have a checkbox to hide empty accounts?

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

Offline svk

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
Use the "Close position" button instead of the "Update position" button.  This just pays off the entire position and returns your collateral.

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
It won't let me update the position to a 0 collateral ratio. Says: "Collateral ratio is too low, this position will be margin called instantly" which i want, but the update button won't do anything.
go to some other screen...dashboard, explorer...whatever and try again.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.