Author Topic: Let's Lower Trading Fee  (Read 10151 times)

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
My approach is to attract more users first with lower fee and make profit later.

Like Microsoft... they intentionally leaved their product "unprotected" from piracy, the majority of user's had windows for free... And look them now!

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
  • BitShares: clayop
Here is an idea. Why not track the amount of revenue being generated per day by the fees and have the fees be somewhat dynamic based on the profitability and revenue of the DAC?

Good idea. But we should talk about the starting point. Remember that the current trading fee is based on the dev teams arbitrary decision. We should listen to many traders and bot makers as well.
I basically agree with you that we must have profitability. My approach is to attract more users first with lower fee and make profit later.

Our service is obviously superior that centralized exchanges. But what traders really care is money (profit surely), which is a function of liquidity and trading costs.
Bitshares Korea - http://www.bitshares.kr
Vote for me and see Korean Bitshares community grows
delegate-clayop

Offline roadscape

The market isn't going to come back with zero fees. It's not going to be a market until you actually do some marketing. I don't see any marketing, no banner ads, nothing. Of course the market is going to be dead if people cannot import their keys. I can't even import my keys so it's not my fault that the market is dead and if hundreds of others are in my position it's not their fault.

+5%

Also.. a nice thing about a public blockchain with tunable parameters is that anyone can perform analytics and create compelling data-backed arguments for optimal price points. What this means is that in the long run we *will* have very optimized and competitive pricing. But until people can import their keys and the rest of the exchanges upgrade to 2.0, we're not going to see any activity or actionable data.

I've spent 35,000 BTS in fees since launch just between upgrading accounts and witness reg. Maybe I'm just getting desensitized  :)
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
It can be debated what should be and that this should be used over centralised exchanges but in the end it is not working. The markets are dead and the price keeps falling. Very soon it will break down catastrophically (barely 100 BTC buy support at Polo) and the internal markets will be destroyed.

I don't know whether it is possible but maybe offer 5-10 free trades a day per account. It will allow for all those who want to try it out.

Is the referral program up and running yet?  If not, I agree with luckybit and we should hold off on modifying the fee structure until we get some results of the program in.

Also, don't judge success of a project based on a bunch of crypto speculators on polo trading with margin... They don't care what the long term vision of a project is.  They only care about short term market gyrations.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
It can be debated what should be and that this should be used over centralised exchanges but in the end it is not working. The markets are dead and the price keeps falling. Very soon it will break down catastrophically (barely 100 BTC buy support at Polo) and the internal markets will be destroyed.

I don't know whether it is possible but maybe offer 5-10 free trades a day per account. It will allow for all those who want to try it out.

The market isn't going to come back with zero fees. It's not going to be a market until you actually do some marketing. I don't see any marketing, no banner ads, nothing. Of course the market is going to be dead if people cannot import their keys. I can't even import my keys so it's not my fault that the market is dead and if hundreds of others are in my position it's not their fault.

That doesn't mean there are less participants in the market it simply means the exchange itself isn't offering a UX/UI to allow people to take advantage of it yet. At the same time the referral program in my opinion is one of the most critical components.

If someone thinks there should be zero fees why don't you start a fund, collect the money to pay for lifetime memberships for x amount of people, and then see if you can refer more people by offering a certain amount of lifetime memberships.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
1. Trading fees should be as high as blocking spamming

2. Trading fees should be as low as attracting market maker bots

3. Trading fees should be as high as producing enough profit

4. Trading fees should be as low as attracting users

We should find an optimal point that meets four criteria above. But I think current fee is quite high. Xeroc's suggestion (6 month low fee) can be great. And when BTS price goes up, we can increase fee by 'not' reducing its amount (e.g. still 1 BTS when BTS is $0.01)

Why would you increase fees instead of lower them? I'm confused by this. If the marketing plan is effective, if you lower the fees for a greater amount of people you might get the same revenue.

Here is an idea. Why not track the amount of revenue being generated per day by the fees and have the fees be somewhat dynamic based on the profitability and revenue of the DAC?

Bytemaster alluded to this, and I think maybe that is an option. When revenue meets some minimum threshold then it meets a certain criteria and it becomes optional to lower fees. If it doesn't then fees can't be lowered.

Think of it like eating. Bitshares has to eat one way or another to live. Either it can eat the fees or it can hibernate through burning. Burning might work somewhat but you cannot burn enough to raise the BTS price enough to make a big difference like the fees do.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline habeler

1LeQTkxdpvZFU23qA22xas2zvqzTHMa48T
bts-habeler876

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
  • BitShares: clayop
1. Trading fees should be as high as blocking spamming

2. Trading fees should be as low as attracting market maker bots

3. Trading fees should be as high as producing enough profit

4. Trading fees should be as low as attracting users

We should find an optimal point that meets four criteria above. But I think current fee is quite high. Xeroc's suggestion (6 month low fee) can be great. And when BTS price goes up, we can increase fee by 'not' reducing its amount (e.g. still 1 BTS when BTS is $0.01)
Bitshares Korea - http://www.bitshares.kr
Vote for me and see Korean Bitshares community grows
delegate-clayop

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
I think we'll get there very quick with 2.0 but we do need to listen to active traders and if possible fees for non filled trades should be less.
Listen to data, not propaganda, not politics. Data requires you to have some evidence. There is no evidence right now that the fees are too high. Give it a few months with the fees at current levels, gather evidence, and then find out how well the referral program is working.

I think the data apparently shows that the 49 exchanges ahead of us don't charge for non filled orders apparently?

Presumably there's a reason they all the follow the same formula & also charge a percentage for trades that are matched. (Which I know is complicated for BTS to do short term)

& the feedback has been coming from active traders who are also shareholders in BTS and want to see it succeed. So I don't class that as  propaganda/politics.

Either way it's a challenging task, charging enough somewhere to make the referral programme lucrative which I believe is needed & making fees competitive with centralised exchanges which I believe are presently our competition. (Though I know you don't think they are. Which is fine, we agree to disagree.)

Yeah, the only problem with the referral programs current setup is when traders are charged high fees when orders are not filled. This also hinders market making bots which will be imperative to BTS success. Members should be charged 0.5 BTS per order and something much higher when the order is filled (percentage).

Here is my opinion. I'm against reducing the fee revenue total amount. I'm for restructuring for smarter fees.

Basically make the fees as high as you can without it feeling high, make the fee structures as smart as you can. Look at Robinhood for example.

But also it might be time to actually look for some real academic information from Google scholar. We need information on fee structures and comparison.

One person here said maybe its good to change the fee structure and I support that but its not the case that I would support lowering fees. Lowering fees is not the same as restructuring.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile

I think the data apparently shows that the 49 exchanges ahead of us don't charge for non filled orders apparently?
Apple launched an iPhone during a time when no one wanted a smart phone. Their phone was more expensive than other phones. Why did people buy their phone?

Their hardware was more expensive than other hardware yet cheaper to make. Why do people buy Macs?

What matters is not what others are doing, but what you can do. Sometimes you can do things others can't because you're doing it different or because you're not those others.

The data we need is data which tracks metrics. A/B testing can reveal a lot. For example if you offer optional ads as the alternative to high fees and most people choose the ads, and or the marketing is not effective, then I would agree. At the moment we have no data because marketing has not even started yet people want to defund it. Shouldn't you first let it run for a few months before determining something needs to be changed?

People are complaining about fees the same month Bitshares 2.0 launched, before the referral program is set up, before marketing has become active. Let it become active and then complain otherwise it looks like a political complaint. If you launch and we find that marketing isn't working very well, or isn't effective, then we would know maybe the cost isn't worth it but what if marketing is very successful and the cost is worth it?

With no metrics to show anything you have a campaign which isn't data driven. So what is driving the desire for lower fees?

Presumably there's a reason they all the follow the same formula & also charge a percentage for trades that are matched. (Which I know is complicated for BTS to do short term)
There is no reason. People who want to trade will trade on any exchange which lets them trade. As long as the fees are reasonable for the demographic and not higher than the highest exchange out there which can compete to do the same thing.

Unlike an ordinary crpyto-exchange, Bitshares does things no other exchange can do. Fees in my opinion should start out high and be slowly reduced over time if referral marketing shows it is not effective but if you don't even have a chance to try it out then you're asking for a reduction in marketing prior to launch which could diminish the chances of success of Bitshares for no gain.

I don't see it as a loss if Bitshare starts out marketed to people who can afford the fees. It works for Apple. Many people in China cannot afford the iPhone 6 even though they make it.

& the feedback has been coming from active traders who are also shareholders in BTS and want to see it succeed. So I don't class that as  propaganda/politics.
Their opinions matter, but their opinions aren't based on any evidence, statistics, or data. It's not a data driven opinion. We all have opinions but if we don't test referral marketing how do we know the fees are too high?

Also if you lower the fees in one place you have to raise them in another, yet I see people saying we should make Bitshares 2.0 completely free or to compete on fees. I'd like micropayments too, I'd like developing countries to use the currency features too, but I recognize you need liquidity or none of that will work.

The way to get liquidity is to have marketing appeal to people who can afford to pay the fee. If you can't afford 20 cents per trade then honestly Bitshares isn't going to have what you're looking for. If you want to trade with no fees you can go use Robin Hood and trade real stocks. If you are a high net worth or sophisticated investor I highly doubt you care about 20 cents. If you're going to trade a significant amount of money, as in thousands of dollars, I doubt you care about 20 cents.

Bots care about this but if you look at Chinese exchanges, with lots of bots trading, then maybe you have an explanation for why the fees are seen as too high? But if you use bot appropriately you should be able to hold the peg or make money in Bitshares with the high fees.

So why not just keep the fees high? I don't see what demographic is going to care about the difference between 0.05 and 0.2 usd when trading $50,000 worth of assets a day.

Either way it's a challenging task, charging enough somewhere to make the referral programme lucrative which I believe is needed & making fees competitive with centralised exchanges which I believe are presently our competition. (Though I know you don't think they are. Which is fine, we agree to disagree.)

I don't think Bitshares 2.0 should compete on fees with centralized exchanges. Let them have the cheaper fees and let people make a risk assessment on whether the risk of getting hacked is worth it. After all, they can just trade on centralized exchanges even if Bitshares somehow had zero fees, and there is no evidence that traders choose an exchange based on the fees and not based on security.

I've never once chosen an exchange based on the fees. I care more about the security. After security I care about what assets are on the exchange. After that then I care about fees.

Bitshares can have the sort of exotic assets where it wont even matter to people what the fees are. In fact it might even be a good idea to hide the fees so its not in their face as too high, and just charge for it in the background.

Offline gunailei

• View Profile
Why fear of user trading high frequency ?
We need user trading high frequency to provide trading depth.
The door open to all trading user.
User the more the better.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
I think we'll get there very quick with 2.0 but we do need to listen to active traders and if possible fees for non filled trades should be less.
Listen to data, not propaganda, not politics. Data requires you to have some evidence. There is no evidence right now that the fees are too high. Give it a few months with the fees at current levels, gather evidence, and then find out how well the referral program is working.

Yeah, the only problem with the referral programs current setup is when traders are charged high fees when orders are not filled. This also hinders market making bots which will be imperative to BTS success. Members should be charged 0.5 BTS per order and something much higher when the order is filled (percentage).

Offline Helikopterben

• View Profile
Centralized exchanges don't charge fees for placing orders.  Fees are taken when the order executes.  Also, some exchanges such as coinbase use a maker-taker model where limit orders are free and fees are only charged for market orders.  However, this alone hasn't given coinbase an exceptionally large share of USD volume, and sys admins can prevent spamming, which is not possible in a censorship-resistant system.

Perhaps users could get 24 order entries per day (1 per hour) for free followed by a charge of $.05 (or more) for each additional trade.  Just a thought.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
Luckybit is on fire this week ;)

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 02:47:43 pm by Empirical1.2 »
If you want to take the island burn the boats