Author Topic: What is the 'Fee Rate'?  (Read 1445 times)

Offline profitofthegods

• View Profile
Is there no documentation which explains this - all the documentation I have seen is general about the protocol and features with nothing about how the process works and what the terminology is.

I still really don't understand margin call price. There is a maintenance call price, which is what is usually referred to as the margin call price. Is it that any sells below this price will automatically be purchased by the borrower with the lowest collateral price?

Also, buying assets at over the market rate to pay fees is new to me, in what circumstances would this happen because having to pay a fee to pay the fee doesn't seem very fair to me.

Offline svk

These questions have been answered in one of the multiple other threads on this subject, but I realize the forum search function is "inadequate" to put it mildly.

If you're still seeing the Fee Rate then you're using a very old version of the wallet, it has been removed. Anyway it is the rate at which an asset, USD for example, can be converted to BTS for the purpose of paying transaction fees.

The margin call price is the price below which margin orders get margin called.

There is no shorting in BTS 2, only borrowing from the blockchain, this is called opening a margin position. You can then "short" the borrowed asset by selling it on the open market if you want.

If you look through my post history you'll find some other threads on the subject of margin orders.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline profitofthegods

• View Profile
Also I'd like to ask another question: will I always be shorting at feed price even if there is a bid to buy the Asset at above the feed price?

Offline profitofthegods

• View Profile
I'm trying to figure out the new trading interface. I think the 'settlement price' is the same as the 'feed price', which is confusing as the same terminology should be used throughout if referring to the same thing, but I can't work out what the 'fee rate' is.

Also I'm thinking the 'margin call price' is the amount you would pay with a fee added if you got margin called at the current price - is that correct? And the maintenance call price is the price at which this would be triggered - but with or without this fee?

I really think these things need little info icons you can hover over to get an explanation because I don't see very many people making the effort to understand how this all works with it like it is.