Author Topic: Bitshares dividend  (Read 8012 times)

Offline bytemaster

Nothing has changed  with the prediction market design of dividends right.  Will dividends still be forgone by shorters and given to bit assets. Holders?

Dividends are not forgone, instead a 5% interest is charged.  Has similar effect but easier for everyone to plan for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Bitcoinfan

• View Profile
Nothing has changed  with the prediction market design of dividends right.  Will dividends still be forgone by shorters and given to bit assets. Holders?

Offline bytemaster

im surprised you are laying to claim that dividends are principally enables the prediction market functions.  if a bitasset were to deviate signficantly from the real asset price lets say drop for this example then the dividend would reach 2x 5x 10x or eve 100 times the ratioed price.  thats according to your preious posts.  to me this follows the dividend discount model, where the price of an asset is determined by your future cash flow.  so if there is a bitasset that offers 100 times more dividend per price then the priceing of that bitssset would have to be higher according to the dividend discount model.  wasnt that the purpose of dividends or has this line of thinking changed since we now have a hardcoded five percent interest?

In the initial design setting the BitAsset rate of return to be 2x the the BitShare rate of return seemed like a simple and elegant solution for managing the blockchain.  Since then the new approach is even more simple and elegant.   The purpose of dividends is to drive the demand for holding BitShares, the purpose of interest is to introduce holding costs for short positions and to incentivize people to not 'redeem' BitUSD immediately because they are actually making a predictable yield.  If interest rates were 0 there would be little incentive to HOLD BitUSD and there would also be little incentive to COVER BitUSD early.   

In other words, the system works exactly like a bank.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Bitcoinfan

• View Profile
im surprised you are laying to claim that dividends are principally enables the prediction market functions.  if a bitasset were to deviate signficantly from the real asset price lets say drop for this example then the dividend would reach 2x 5x 10x or eve 100 times the ratioed price.  thats according to your preious posts.  to me this follows the dividend discount model, where the price of an asset is determined by your future cash flow.  so if there is a bitasset that offers 100 times more dividend per price then the priceing of that bitssset would have to be higher according to the dividend discount model.  wasnt that the purpose of dividends or has this line of thinking changed since we now have a hardcoded five percent interest?

Offline bytemaster

The point of dividends is to make owning bitshares profitable for the shareholders, same as any other company.  The more profitable the DAC becomes the higher the value of the shares and the more resources that become available for growing the DAC.

Income redistribution is destructive to society and facilitates people consuming more than they produce.  Such a system is unstable and will ultimately collapse as those who are producing more than they get to consume look for better options.  Instead we should create systems where individuals acting out of their own selfish best interest end up taking actions that benefit the whole.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
what´s the point of dividends ? are they in any way like basic income ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income - I... don´t really get them. It seems to me that if the dividend algorithm were to distribute dividends equally, they would function as basic income, but when it´s distributed proportionally as it is now (from what I´ve understood), well I don´t really get the point of that. what´s the point of dividends ?

wouldn´t it be smarter to distribute them equally, in simple terms "redistribute from the rich to the poor - a basic income system" ? I´ve been thinking about integrating something like that with Ripple or Bitcoin for a while, and got excited when I heard of Bitshares, but it seems to me that the dividend algorithm is meant to achieve something else with it´s proportional redistribution, so I just wonder what the main point of them are, and if anyone sees the value in distributing them equally instead.

In the Bitshares White Paper, Bret Allsop commented :
How about something like: "an equal share of the total mining and transaction fees given to all Bitshares in existence."
on paragraph

Dividend - a share of the mining reward and transaction fees proportional to the number of BitShares owned relative to the total number of BitShares in existence.

thence it seems like there might be more dudes who have thought about this

Also, look at this : http://darkai.org/?p=1 - TECHNOLOGICALLY ENHANCED BASIC INCOME AS A SOLUTION TO TECHNOLOGICAL UNEMPLOYMENT

sorry if this is a stupid question, maybe I´m just tired, but there´s something I don´t understand.

if this receives any feedback then we should open a thread in this forum about it. I think Bytemaster might see what I´m talking about, we seem to think alike, I saw your post about "Display all balances in the GUI as a percentage of the money supply" and that´s something I´ve thought about for a year.

Dividends are simply a share of the profits in a company.  If you own a piece of the company, you are entitled to a proportional piece of its profits.  BitShares function like shares of stock in a company, entitling you to a share of its profits.  That's why people buy any company's stock.  They are buying rights to its profits.  The more profits, the more valuable each share of stock becomes. 

(Some people also buy those shares speculating that they will become more valuable, but this usually tied to the expectation the company will become more profitable.)

If you saved up your money and bought only one BitShare, one 4-millionth of a company, would you consider yourself "rich" and be ok with somebody redistributing your share of the earnings to someone else? 

Companies are just collections of many shareholders who have all "chipped in" and bought a little piece of the company's earnings.  It may be a big company, but it is still owned by a lot of little guys who worked hard to get their little piece of the pie.

If you were to take the company's earnings away from its rightful owners and give it to someone else you would be committing an immoral, if not criminal, act would you not?  How would that be different than taking milk away from the owner of a cow?

:)

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline pinov

• View Profile
Sounds very interesting

Approve pinov and pinof & earn BTSX on every transaction you make
wallet_approve_delegate pinov
wallet_approve_delegate pinof

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Just to clarify for everyone, does the contract change if another chain is launched?  That is still part of the original 4MM BTS.

Here's how we addressed that question at http://invictus-innovations.com/social-concensus

For all Invictus sponsored DACs:

Allocate at least 10% of its equity to ProtoShares holders at genesis.
Allocate at least 10% of its equity to AngelShares holders at genesis.
Allocate the last 80% at the discretion of each DAC developer.
We have chosen 50-50 for our first DAC to equally honor mining-lottery and patron-donor schools of thought. 

For our first BitShares DAC:
Allocate 50% of its shares to ProtoShares holders at genesis.
Allocate 50% of its shares to AngelShares holders at genesis.

We will scale the total share count to 4 million shares, equally divided between the two schools.

This makes all of our early supporters “official BitShares distributors” for those who arrive later!
We can't think of a more fair and decentralized way to make shares available to them.

We hope you agree.

Specifications for the last 80% of other future DACs will vary with developer according to their business model and marketing strategies and shall be specified prior to their genesis.   Until they are defined formally on this page, all forum discussion is for the purpose of reaching consensus, and any sharing of our current thinking does not constitute a commitment to any specific course of action.

An "Invictus sponsored" DAC can be any third-party DAC that we endorse, support, and promote due to its compatibility with our standards and social consensus.  Long term, if we are successful at decentralizing all this, most Invictus sponsored DACs will be 3rd Party DACs.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 03:16:22 am by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Would the effect enhance or dilute BTS shares.

?? Do you mean will it cause the value to go up or down? It's hard to say, a new chain will both decrease the relative value of BTS to all other BTS-subchains but also will increase the value of the BTS system as a whole.

Also
for all intensive purposes
"for all intents and purposes"
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Bitcoinfan

• View Profile
Yeah that was my hunch.  Just for all intensive purposes any theories as to what similar chains will do to the original BTS chain?  Would the effect enhance or dilute BTS shares.

Offline toast

• View Profile
Just to clarify for everyone, does the contract change if another chain is launched?  That is still part of the original 4MM BTS.

That new chain will not have bitshares. This is a point of confusion and I think we need another term. That chain will have some bitshares-like "core" asset, like bitshares are to the root BitShares chain. BM has given some examples (CurrencyShares, PreciousMetalShares, StockShares - though I think *Shares is not a great general naming scheme). There will be cross-chain trading though, to discover the price of StockShares in terms of assets on the original bitshares chain.

The new chain must honor PTS/AGS, but I think they don't have to do 100% (50pts/50ags). Otherwise there would be no incentive for someone who isn't a PTS or AGS holder to launch a new chain.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Bitcoinfan

• View Profile
Think of it this way:  If bitcoin were to limit block sizes to 1 MB every 10 minutes then transaction fees would start to rise once demand for transactions hit that limit.   Eventually they would rise to the point that many people will only use Bitcoin for savings or large purchases where they need massive liquidity and they will adopt an Altcoin that has not yet hit the block limit for performing checking transactions. 

Every BitShares chain that launches can support up to 16 assets (perhaps more) and if there are 2 BitShares chains then there will be two versions of BitUSD... each will track BitUSD independently and you could trade them via cross-chain-trading or via a centralized exchange.

Would this would open up the door to having both a external feed bitusd and a prediction market based bitusd?  Doesn't sound like it, because one with a external feed would require a whole separate DAC.  Correct me if I'm wrong here.  Nonetheless, another DAC with based on an external feed may not seem like a bad idea after considering it over.  The external feed will complement the prediction market based one by providing a authentic feedback loop.

Offline bytemaster

Offline toast

• View Profile
I was making a joke

Offline bytemaster

But wouldnt it be easier to limit the number of assets per chain to say 3 and increase the block size so that the number of different 'versions' of each asset are limited to just one.

"3 is too many, we would eventually need separate chains due to traffic. Wouldn't it be easier to limit the number of assets per chain to say 2 and increase the block size so that the number of different 'versions' of each asset are limited to just one?"

;)

There is value in being able to trade USD vs GLD on one chain.