Author Topic: What's the biggest bottleneck of our internal exchange?  (Read 5980 times)

Tuck Fheman

Some of you "but muh fees!!!" guys come into this thread https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,19787.msg254090.html#msg254090 and voice your opinions.

It cost 1,000 BTS to edit a UIA. Where's da outrage?!  ;)

Never mind. Dan said we can change it. ;)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 07:15:02 pm by Tuck Fheman »

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
I made a fair number of trades on 1.0 (and hence,  I am guessing, large number of private keys). I have not yet migrated to 2.0 since I lack the necessary confidence that I can do so successfully/safely/and privately. I am thus awaiting the dust of the new release to settle enough for me to migrate with confidence before I can begin trading again.

Actually trading is not the main reason for a lot of  keys.

I had 484 pages of transactions on v0.x. [at 18 trx per page or something]
they imported for 2-3 min...some people are waiting for days

As for the privacy...well...BTS 2.0 is a public bathroom with bay windows. :)

aka  don't import all your keys to the onceuponatime account, is my advice.

484 pages of trx
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 10:43:50 pm by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline onceuponatime

I made a fair number of trades on 1.0 (and hence,  I am guessing, large number of private keys). I have not yet migrated to 2.0 since I lack the necessary confidence that I can do so successfully/safely/and privately. I am thus awaiting the dust of the new release to settle enough for me to migrate with confidence before I can begin trading again.

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
  • BitShares: clayop
the fees are far from being the main problem for liquidity.

+5%
When liquidity problem is solved, people will complain about high trading fees.
Bitshares Korea - http://www.bitshares.kr
Vote for me and see Korean Bitshares community grows
delegate-clayop

Tuck Fheman

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
That was an indirect conclusion.
The poll results show that the main bottleneck is liquidity. But to have liquidity we need trading bots. And to have good working conditions for the bots we need low fees.
So the fees seem to be the primary reason.

I do believe you are barking at the wrong tree here jakub [as well as other low fees proponents]. Yes some fees are unnecessary high - I do have my own list of them but if the fees were 0.1 BTS for trade and 0.5 BTS for transfer we would have had just a fraction more trades and liquidity (as well as transfers).

@tonyk, as you probably know, I am a strong supporter of keeping the transfer fees unchanged.

But in this context I am talking about the marker order fees.
For me liquidity is an absolute priority, even if it means the BitShares DAC becomes unprofitable in the short term.
So if the trading bot people say they need lower fees to be attracted - I'm ready to please them.
If you read my post I am pro lowering some fees [even more pro making them 'smarter'  - as in percentage fees, getting back large % of order placement fees for unfilled orders etc.] ...all I said was - the fees are far from being the main problem for liquidity.

Offline tbone

• View Profile
  • BitShares: tbone2
Guys, let's be smart about this. 

Transfer fees
High transfer fees will not help profitability very much, but WILL hurt perception, may create a barrier to use (especially in some parts of the world), and will hurt the business models of some who are currently building on top of the Bitshares platform (as some known business builders here have attested).  So let's make sure to set transfer rates to very reasonable levels.

Trading fees
On the other hand, trading fees can make up a substantial portion of profitable fees, and at the same time it's unlikely that lowering them will substantially increase trading.  However, the order cancellation fee will cause major perception problems and it should be lowered to spam prevention levels for ALL users.

Trading fees / Liquidity
Also, perhaps our biggest problem right now is liquidity.  We need to incentivize liquidity providers, therefore I think we should consider using a maker/taker model where makers get a substantial discount on fees, especially if they do high volume. 

Liquidity / fragmented markets
But more importantly, we need to solve the problem of fragmented markets negating the pooled liquidity effect.  I realize there are reasons why each participating exchange has their own tokens.  But from the user's perspective, this multiple token system causes nothing but confusion in addition to the inferior trading experience due to the fragmented liquidity.  If this does not get fixed, we all lose including the OpenLedger participant exchanges.  Fortunately, I'm pretty sure they can put their heads together and find a way to use unified tokens that satisfies all parties.  We need to push for this.  CCEDK, MetaExchange, BlockTradesUS, BunkerDEX, have any of you discussed this? 

GUI Issues (favorite markets management)
Also, although the trading GUI has been improving, it still needs work.  Right now the management of favorite markets is a huge mess.  I'm pretty sure this can be improved dramatically without much dev time at all, someone just needs to specify what it should look like.  This issue may seem trivial, but we MUST make it so people can focus on the markets they are interested in, easily switch between them, and hide the rest. Otherwise there's just too much noise and clutter, and people feel lost.  Perhaps by default only the most liquid markets should be visible.  Then people can customize as they see fit. 

GUI Issues (privacy features)
Finally, I think not having the privacy features is a big barrier right now.  We need that in the GUI ASAP.  Does anyone have an ETA for that?  Actually, we need a more comprehensive roadmap.  Not necessarily precise timelines for everything.  But at least a list of all planned features and their current order of priority.  Perhaps estimated time to completion for the highest priority items.  And we should know what is currently already in the works.

@bytemaster - can you provide this information ASAP?

jakub

The poll results show that the main bottleneck is liquidity. But to have liquidity we need trading bots. And to have good working conditions for the bots we need low fees.

I do believe you are barking at the wrong tree here jakub [as well as other low fees proponents]. Yes some fees are unnecessary high - I do have my own list of them but if the fees were 0.1 BTS for trade and 0.5 BTS for transfer we would have had just a fraction more trades and liquidity (as well as transfers).

@tonyk, as you probably know, I am a strong supporter of keeping the transfer fees unchanged.

But in this context I am talking about the marker order fees.
For me liquidity is an absolute priority, even if it means the BitShares DAC becomes unprofitable in the short term.
So if the trading bot people say they need lower fees to be attracted - I'm ready to please them.

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube

The conclusion so far looks to me like this:
low fees -> trading bots -> liquidity -> most of us are satisfied
So lowering the trading fees is the key here.
I don't see a majority in your poll that says the fees are too high?!

There are no bots because the API is incomplete.  Last I checked you can not cancel an order via API nor can you query your open orders.  Thats a pretty essential feature for any bot.
That explains a lot. So both the fees and the unfinished API are the main culprits.

So we can conclude that there is no liquidity because there cannot be any liquidity in those circumstances.
For me it's good news because I can see a rational explanation for the current situation.

+5%

+5% to remove the obstacles to liquidity bots - high trading fees and lack of api.
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline Brekyrself

• View Profile
I'm still trying to wrap my head about the whole web wallet concept with cookies etc... thus why I have not imported my 0.9x wallet.  Additionally the light wallet crashes and won't open.  So now I believe the only option I have is to run a full node and point the light wallet to it once I get that to work?  I believe this is more secure compared to using hosted wallets?

Offline BTSdac

• View Profile
  • BitShares: K1
two reasons
1. lack of user
2. lack of assets to exchange .
github.com :pureland
BTS2.0 API :ws://139.196.37.179:8091
BTS2.0 API 数据源ws://139.196.37.179:8091

Tuck Fheman

Yes some fees are unnecessary high

Add 1,000 BTS to edit a UIA to the list. ;)

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

+5%
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy

Price feed relative orders is also a way to get liquidity. See my other thread.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile