Author Topic: Openledger Referral Program UP! Time to make money!  (Read 13631 times)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
@Thom to

Q2 (Why that is called a "light" wallet makes no sense to me, but that's not really important.)

It's called light wallet because you don't need the graphene toolkit to run it .. on other words .. you'll also connect to a full node (weight client) ..
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline Thom

I'd like to get a definitive answer.

Perhaps my goal is to make BitShares successful and indirectly I benefit. Besides, there's more to a business than just getting some referral income, which according to your numbers (so far at least) doesn't look sustainable as a profitable business, especially if you consider what it would cost to obtain a CNX license before you signed up 42 new users for a 2500 BTS reward.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
Thanks @fav. I think your answer to Q4 is the same as it was in Telegram yesterday.

The answer doesn't fully satisfy, kindof like "light" beer  :)

Is the light wallet offered in the same manor as the source for Graphene - available on github and with the same restrictions that "you need a license if you build a business using this"?

If so does using it to get new users to create BitShares accounts constitute "building a business" around it?

if you sign-up people you want to generate revenue. I'd say yes.

Offline Thom

Thanks @fav. I think your answer to Q4 is the same as it was in Telegram yesterday.

The answer doesn't fully satisfy, kindof like "light" beer  :)

Is the light wallet offered in the same manor as the source for Graphene - available on github and with the same restrictions that "you need a license if you build a business using this"?

If so does using it to get new users to create BitShares accounts constitute "building a business" around it?
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
I asked this on Telegram yesterday but not sure I understand it all.

The questions were related to referral program, what is the "light" wallet and licensing.

I see how referrals can be done now (hooray!) using the OpenLedger wallet. Jakub asked the question about the split of fees I didn't see a reply to, so that is my first question:
Q1:  How are the referral fees split for OpenLedger? Is it indeed 60% to referrer, 20% to network, 10% to CNX and 10% to CCDEK?

From what I understood in the Telegram convo, the "light" wallet is the OpenLedger javascript bundled with (i.e. built into) the open source Chromium web browser as a binary executable. Why that is called a "light" wallet makes no sense to me, but that's not really important.
Q2: Is that what the "light" wallet actually is, and is it updated along with changes to OpenLedger, or is it a reference implementation that will not be changed much aside from bug fixes (i.e. without the goal of keeping it uptodate with OpenLedger)?
Q3: Can it also be pointed at any graphene websocket server via settings like the OpenLedger wallet?
Q4: Is the source for the "light" wallet truly open and free to build on?
Q5: How does the "light" wallet handle referrals, and how are the referral fees split?

It was also stated that if one wanted to provide a faucet to incentivize users, that would require a license from CNX.
Q6: Is that flatly, always true?
Q7: Depending on the answers to Q4 & Q5 I can see ways to possibly get around that.

The whole topic of licensing is a bit muddy. I am not interested in any type of "hosted" wallet, where I would store any user account info. That was what I thought CNX licensing was focused on, as well as direct, exclusive (i.e. proprietary) use of CNX technology for a private blockchain.

It doesn't make much sense to me to penalize my desire to incentivize account creation with a little faucet funding with a license. I could also just tell anybody that signs up with my referral code / account to contact me directly to receive their token faucet deposit.

Q1: no one knows the split between CNX and OL. other than that, your numbers are correct.
Q2: the light wallet is a bundled html&chrome browser as far as I understand it. it's basically the same as Openledger
Q3: yes
Q4: it's not free as in beer. you're free to do whatever locally, but you are not allowed to use it to generate revenue.
Q5: it doesn't as far as I know. there's no way to manipulate an URL or something to make the faucet recognize it.
Q6: you need a licence from CNX for their products. of course you can code a backend and wallet and connect it to bitshares if you want
Q7: nope, I don't think so.

again, no one can stop you from setting up your own faucet  (dac play did it) to sign-up people

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Time for those who got margin called out of their BTS to earn it back by getting referrals?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Thom

I asked this on Telegram yesterday but not sure I understand it all.

The questions were related to referral program, what is the "light" wallet and licensing.

I see how referrals can be done now (hooray!) using the OpenLedger wallet. Jakub asked the question about the split of fees I didn't see a reply to, so that is my first question:
Q1:  How are the referral fees split for OpenLedger? Is it indeed 60% to referrer, 20% to network, 10% to CNX and 10% to CCDEK?

From what I understood in the Telegram convo, the "light" wallet is the OpenLedger javascript bundled with (i.e. built into) the open source Chromium web browser as a binary executable. Why that is called a "light" wallet makes no sense to me, but that's not really important.
Q2: Is that what the "light" wallet actually is, and is it updated along with changes to OpenLedger, or is it a reference implementation that will not be changed much aside from bug fixes (i.e. without the goal of keeping it uptodate with OpenLedger)?
Q3: Can it also be pointed at any graphene websocket server via settings like the OpenLedger wallet?
Q4: Is the source for the "light" wallet truly open and free to build on?
Q5: How does the "light" wallet handle referrals, and how are the referral fees split?

It was also stated that if one wanted to provide a faucet to incentivize users, that would require a license from CNX.
Q6: Is that flatly, always true?
Q7: Depending on the answers to Q4 & Q5 I can see ways to possibly get around that.

The whole topic of licensing is a bit muddy. I am not interested in any type of "hosted" wallet, where I would store any user account info. That was what I thought CNX licensing was focused on, as well as direct, exclusive (i.e. proprietary) use of CNX technology for a private blockchain.

It doesn't make much sense to me to penalize my desire to incentivize account creation with a little faucet funding with a license. I could also just tell anybody that signs up with my referral code / account to contact me directly to receive their token faucet deposit.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
Hi fav , " http://www.bitshares.org/?r=accountname",  does this work , because the wallet will be one more click ahead right ?

but only if the user goes with the online wallet.

I send new users directly to openledger account creation.

Offline bitacer

Hi fav , " http://www.bitshares.org/?r=accountname",  does this work , because the wallet will be one more click ahead right ?

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
Why do I read "BLOCKCHAIN IS OUT OF SYNC, PLEASE WAIT UNTIL IT'S SYNCHRONIZED..    Head block #624035" (number is counting up) here?

https://bitshares.openledger.info

Is something wrong?

only questions regarding referral program here please!

to answer your question: no, just refresh your browser

jakub

Why do I read "BLOCKCHAIN IS OUT OF SYNC, PLEASE WAIT UNTIL IT'S SYNCHRONIZED..    Head block #624035" (number is counting up) here?

Is something wrong?
It works fine for me.
Something must be wrong with your internet connection.
Try to reload the URL.

Offline brainbug

• View Profile

Is something wrong?

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
And I'm assuming that https://bitshares.org/wallet/?r=fav will work as well?

mh, in theory. go ahead and test it with your ID :)

I do not use bitshares.org wallet

jakub

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
Does it mean that the big & complex task of affiliation system (the one BM was referring to in the last mumble, he said @valzav had been actively working on it for the last couple of days) is finally finished & fully tested?

if your ID is written on the blockchain as referral it works. so far I had no issues since the initial testing on monday

only problem was cross-site referrals via bitshares.org, but that's fixed since yesterday
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 11:19:04 am by fav »